Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 04:57 PM

182 posts, read 449,173 times

Advertisements

We are planning our first visit to Oahu mid May. Is there a certain area we could stay that was not wall to wall hotels/high rises which would be easier to come and go from for day trips?

We're a family and something mid range in price, low 200's, but had affordable restaurants near by for dinner.

We plan on taking tours or driving the island each day so we don't want to be on the far outside of things just not the big cluster.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 05:21 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I'd check out Hotels.com. Just did a search for a week in mid-May and found rooms (both hotels and short-term vacation rentals in Waikiki) for well under that price (before resort fees/taxes).

Also, the Waikiki/town area will have the best rates as that's where most of the supply is. If you're going to experience all that the island has to offer, you're going to have to drive a bit anyways, so I'd recommend staying where most of the amenities are, which is Waikiki/town area, especially considering that you don't want to spend above a certain amount.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:06 PM

122 posts, read 83,030 times
I would suggest checking the Pagoda Hotel, which is just outside of the main Waikiki area, yet close enough to cab or trolley into the beachfront Waikiki areas, and at significantly lower cost than the beachfront hotels. Also convenient to main routes and freeway access for longer excursions. Very near Don Quijotes supermarket for ALL of your food, drink, and other needs while here, and at sensible, local, prices.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:43 AM

80 posts, read 88,634 times
Ala moana hotel.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:44 AM

406 posts, read 865,844 times
I have stayed at, and liked, both the Park Shore Hotel and the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. They are both across the street (Kapahulu Ave.) from Kapiolani Park and the City Zoo and also across the street (Kalakaua Ave.) from Kuhio beach so you are looking at a lot of green space and the ocean instead of wall-to-wall buildings/hotels.Kuhio beach has a wall so it is a great place for the kids to swim and play.

Lots of good food within a few steps (any direction), easy traveling with stops for TheBus (out front) and the Waikiki Trolley (around the corner on Paoakalani Ave). Google both to see routes and trips. Also bike rental nearby.

Take a look on Google Maps and look at the satellite view to see how pretty the area is.

And when you get there, don't forget to get some shave ice, some loco moco, some Spam musubi and a plate lunch. You will thank me later.

Mickey

Old 04-17-2023, 02:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
I would suggest checking the Pagoda Hotel, which is just outside of the main Waikiki area, yet close enough to cab or trolley into the beachfront Waikiki areas, and at significantly lower cost than the beachfront hotels. Also convenient to main routes and freeway access for longer excursions. Very near Don Quijotes supermarket for ALL of your food, drink, and other needs while here, and at sensible, local, prices.
Count me in the camp if this is your first trip to Oahu (and who knows - it could be the last) the Pagoda hotel is about the last place I would have anyone stay - unless of course being surrounded by strip malls and proximity to Walmart and not by a beach or essentially anything walking distance except the mall is your thing.

Save a few more dollars to stay somewhere decent (at least Ala Moana hotel - which isn't my favorite, is at least walking distance to the beach and Waikiki) - and plenty of other discount hotels exist in Waikiki proper. Make it a memorable trip - the Pagoda isn't going to make it memorable in a positive way.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:52 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Count me in the camp if this is your first trip to Oahu (and who knows - it could be the last) the Pagoda hotel is about the last place I would have anyone stay - unless of course being surrounded by strip malls and proximity to Walmart and not by a beach or essentially anything walking distance except the mall is your thing.

Save a few more dollars to stay somewhere decent (at least Ala Moana hotel - which isn't my favorite, is at least walking distance to the beach and Waikiki) - and plenty of other discount hotels exist in Waikiki proper. Make it a memorable trip - the Pagoda isn't going to make it memorable in a positive way.
I agree. When people think Hawaii, the beach is usually one of the first things that come to mind. If you're going to be in town, you might as well be closer to the beach. There are plenty of hotels in the heart of Waikiki--blocks from the beach--within the OP's price range, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu