Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 03:56 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

For once, the government's incompetence is paying off for residents:

Quote:
About 2,200 digital parking meters on Oahu will be free of charge for at least the next six months.

The city says that’s how long it’ll take to replace its wireless credit card readers to match a technology upgrade by Verizon.

The city said half of their parking meters on O’ahu are digital ones, ones that have a slot where are card can go in. Most are located from downtown to Waikiki.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/0...east-6-months/

Note, this is the result of Verizon phasing out its 3G technology. The government has had ample warning of this pending change for years, but claim to have been caught off guard at the last minute Regardless, I'll take it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 07:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Time will tell whether they can scare up some old-school coin meters for their biggest moneymaking locations.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Time will tell whether they can scare up some old-school coin meters for their biggest moneymaking locations.
The current - now not working meters were installed in 2011 - any old school meters have long ago been scrapped.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The current - now not working meters were installed in 2011 - any old school meters have long ago been scrapped.
The way Islanders pack-rat obsolete equipment, I would not be surprised to find that they still have them.

The shop classes at schools where I work still have machinery that has not been used since before I was born, sitting around taking up space.

Lahainaluna shop equipment was once powered by a waterwheel and flume from the adjacent river. In the 1950s, electric equipment was installed but the flume (ditch) has never been filled in and old equipment is still sitting around.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:02 PM

I thought there would be a chance that this news could backfire on drivers as folks hunkered down and never moved their cars. But I was in Waikiki last night for dinner and saw a fair amount of people (judging from the green lights) still feeding the meter, which tells me that this news hasn’t trickled down to more than a few folks.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:40 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I thought there would be a chance that this news could backfire on drivers as folks hunkered down and never moved their cars. But I was in Waikiki last night for dinner and saw a fair amount of people (judging from the green lights) still feeding the meter, which tells me that this news hasn’t trickled down to more than a few folks.
Parkers may not have to pay but they still need to comply with the posted time limits which are generally between 1 to 2 hours with 4 hours max in some areas. Hopefully the city tickets anyone that exceeds the posted limits. High turnover and stall availability are critical for many businesses to survive. Meter maids won't have much else to do in those areas so I'd be surprised if they don't enforce this.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Parkers may not have to pay but they still need to comply with the posted time limits which are generally between 1 to 2 hours with 4 hours max in some areas. Hopefully the city tickets anyone that exceeds the posted limits. High turnover and stall availability are critical for many businesses to survive. Meter maids won't have much else to do in those areas so I'd be surprised if they don't enforce this.
Off topic to the free parking for the time being - but I'm going to vent about the 1 hour limit downtown.

Had a 1pm reservation at Fete about a month ago - maybe parked a block away. From the time I paid the meter - walked to restaurant - got seated - ordered - ate/drank - walked back to car, suffice it say it is over an hour. And while I did not get a ticket, a 2 hour limit would be more reasonable.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:31 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
I eat there frequently. And always park in the municipal underground parking a block away. I believe it's actually cheaper per hour than metered stalls and have no time limit.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
True, but I'd still be more likely to change parking more than 2 hours in such a spot vice not paying the meter when they were ticketing for failing to pay. I know in DC where many streets don't have meters but have up the 2 hour parking limit all the same, I've been pretty lucky parking in excess of that time

Old 01-12-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Off topic to the free parking for the time being - but I'm going to vent about the 1 hour limit downtown.

Had a 1pm reservation at Fete about a month ago - maybe parked a block away. From the time I paid the meter - walked to restaurant - got seated - ordered - ate/drank - walked back to car, suffice it say it is over an hour. And while I did not get a ticket, a 2 hour limit would be more reasonable.
In such a case, I generally first pay with coins and then use the app to add another hour when the meter is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: