Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 02:38 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Purely speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if the overboard measure is politically motivated. This bill is guaranteed to generate additional large contracts for construction companies over the next decade, at the expense of residents and under the guise of public safety. I'm also reminded of the bill and agreement that was passed to give unions priority over non-union for contracts. I'm not sure if that's really legal, isnt that discriminatory? Jobs are typically awarded according to low cost bidder & ability to meet the requirements of the proposal.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...uction-unions/

July 22, 2020 at 10:30 PM HST - Updated July 22 at 10:30 PM
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu’s Mayor and Hawaii’s construction unions have signed a new agreement that would give union workers priority for all city projects over $2 million.
This obviously should be illegal but here in Hawaii it's business as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM

1,014 posts, read 480,788 times
That used to be Nick Rolovich's house when he was an assistant coach at UH football team. The fire came I think after he moved out. I don't know. That was a big fire. It was all over the news. Most apartments should be installed already with a sprinkler system. And a fire alarm. Quite honestly, I don't care too much for firemen and their job. I think it is a replaceable job and I could care less of their degree as dedicated. It is just a job. So if they quit, big deal. Move on. Next firemen in line. Anyway, this building Marco Polo is located on Kapiolani Blvd. Massive fire spread to this incident. They always have fire alarm checks every now and then. Rather intentional or not intentional as in false alarm on a fire. I thought that the fire spread rapidly because the firemen arrived late on the scene. So the fire had time to breathe. I guess they didn't want to deal with it. Or they were just doing something else. Like I said, I didn't care about the logistics of it all. No firemen around, and that is why the fire spread. I am not sure what the city and county of Honolulu did. But they set new laws in. I am not sure how this came about. Following or not following this law. If you're a building manager. I think most of them said, tough. We cannot afford to install one. So you cough up the dough for us. And I'm with the managers of apartments here. The city officials should deal with it. Appropriated funds for the older buildings from city funds would do.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:51 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,263,167 times
I'm listening in on my AOAO town hall meeting now on the sewer project (no update yet on the sprinkler system efforts . . . I think the board is looking to wrap up the contracting for the sewer project first).

Some interesting points:

-Revised project estimate is approximately $4.5 million (down from earlier estimates of $6.5 million), which is good. Note, at the higher estimate, if every one of the 198 owners paid the same amount (which won't be the case) at the interest rate charged, it would be roughly $30k per owner.

-We need 67% of homeowners to approve the loan request or else a special assessment will be levied. So far, 41% of the owners have voted to secure the loan, and 5% of the owners voted against the loan. Still a lot of outstanding owners who need to get a move on it! I can cut a check today for whatever my portion will be, but would prefer the bank loan (from BOH), especially at these interest rates.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:34 AM

959 posts, read 1,217,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm listening in on my AOAO town hall meeting now on the sewer project (no update yet on the sprinkler system efforts . . . I think the board is looking to wrap up the contracting for the sewer project first).

Some interesting points:

-Revised project estimate is approximately $4.5 million (down from earlier estimates of $6.5 million), which is good. Note, at the higher estimate, if every one of the 198 owners paid the same amount (which won't be the case) at the interest rate charged, it would be roughly $30k per owner.

-We need 67% of homeowners to approve the loan request or else a special assessment will be levied. So far, 41% of the owners have voted to secure the loan, and 5% of the owners voted against the loan. Still a lot of outstanding owners who need to get a move on it! I can cut a check today for whatever my portion will be, but would prefer the bank loan (from BOH), especially at these interest rates.
Did they mention what the approximate monthly increase in the HOA fee per unit will be based on the revised $4.5 mil cost & loan terms ?

Also, did they mention why the bid is now 30% lower than before ? Smaller scope of work, different contractor, etc ?

These aging mini high rise buildings require a lot of maintanence. I always cringe when I see the annual forecast for future planned projects.

Sometimes I can see the appeal of the 3-story cement block walk ups !!

Old 06-30-2021, 10:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,838,418 times
After the condo collapse in Miami, many high-rises in Honolulu and other US cities will be facing horrendous increases in maintenance fees. Some buildings will likely be declared teardowns as they reach the end of their usable lives.

It would be awful to watch your investment/home go to zero-value, then be hit with a huge fee for implosion and removal of debris.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
After the condo collapse in Miami, many high-rises in Honolulu and other US cities will be facing horrendous increases in maintenance fees. Some buildings will likely be declared teardowns as they reach the end of their usable lives.
I don't agree with that - you've got a single building that clearly wasn't maintained to the point of deliberate negligence. There is no reason for people to panic. Buildings aren't dropping all over the place.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't agree with that - you've got a single building that clearly wasn't maintained to the point of deliberate negligence. There is no reason for people to panic. Buildings aren't dropping all over the place.
Many of them at 50+ years are reaching the end of their life-expectancy. When structural steel has corroded internally and the concrete has massively spalled, repair becomes impossible. Do you think they will last another 50 years?

It's coming.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:

It's coming.
Doubtful. By all accounts I have read - the sister property built by the same company 1 years later is in great shape since they actually did the required maintenance over the years.

My condo in SF was built in 1962 and even has a rooftop pool (2200 Pacific) and I have zero worries about it. And by rooftop pool - I'm not talking some kiddie pool, a large full size pool outdoors on the roof.

Had no problems with the 1989 San Francisco earthquake either.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Doubtful. By all accounts I have read - the sister property built by the same company 1 years later is in great shape since they actually did the required maintenance over the years.

My condo in SF was built in 1962 and even has a rooftop pool (2200 Pacific) and I have zero worries about it. And by rooftop pool - I'm not talking some kiddie pool, a large full size pool outdoors on the roof.

Had no problems with the 1989 San Francisco earthquake either.
How long can they last? Another 20 years? 50? 100?

My condo is in a 4-story building which doesn't face the downward pressure that a high-rise faces. I assume it will last a long time.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
How long can they last? Another 20 years? 50? 100?
If maintained - it doesn't have an end of life unless the maintenance costs become prohibitively expense - and I don't see that happening unless something catastrophic like an even worse earthquake than 1989 (much of SF didn't have damage from the 1906 earthquake - it was the subsequent fire that destroyed most of the city.

By your logic - we shouldn't have any standing buildings earlier than the 1920's.

The Moana Surfrider was built in 1901 - should everyone be evacuated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu