Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 05:34 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Take, for instance, this 1/1 unit in the building that's under contract for $69k. https://www.hawaiiliving.com/kalia-5...ale-202320519/

Estimated monthly mortgage is $349, though there are two monthly maintenance fees to factor as well. Regular monthly maintenance fee is $632, while "other" maintenance fee is $680 (my guess to cover a special assessment for some major building maintenance project), for an overall total payment of $1,661, which is very competitive compared to most 1/1 rentals in Waikiki (even in older buildings).
When I look at the link, the $339 is just Principle & Interest. It doesn’t include the lease rent or taxes/insurance either.

P&I: $349
Tax: $65
Lease Rent: $634
HOA 1: $632
HOA 2: $680

Totals a monthly payment of $2,360 plus you’ll have some insurance expense. I’d also guess that mortgage calculator amortized over 30 years … which you’re not likely to get since the lease term doesn’t go out 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 07:56 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
When I look at the link, the $339 is just Principle & Interest. It doesn’t include the lease rent or taxes/insurance either.

P&I: $349
Tax: $65
Lease Rent: $634
HOA 1: $632
HOA 2: $680

Totals a monthly payment of $2,360 plus you’ll have some insurance expense. I’d also guess that mortgage calculator amortized over 30 years … which you’re not likely to get since the lease term doesn’t go out 30.
Thanks I completely missed the lease rent!

That definitely can change someone's calculus, especially for this building where the only unit for rent I see online goes for $10 less per month (with with a larger living space and more modern layout to boot) Yep, I'd scratch this building off the list personally, though even then it might be worth it to others.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-26-2023 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-27-2023, 01:28 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Are these just as worthless as they were when this thread was started?
They are worthless as an investment yes. They are transacting for about half of what they were when we last discussed this in 2017. I believe the poster I was debating with was saying LH properties could triple in value based on "history". I think I made my point.

Having said that, if you're going to live in them for the duration of the lease maybe there's value to the security knowing you'll never be evicted by the landlord (before the lease expires). You will just have to take the risk of special assessments and potentially skyrocketing maintenance fees.

The building is in an exceptionally prime real estate location. Arguably the only truly walkable neighborhood in all of Hawaii. Far more walkable than Kakaako. You've got a post office, banks, urgent care, grocery store, coffee shops, nearly unlimited food and restaurant options and the beach/open park space all within a true few minutes stroll. There is no place like this anywhere in Hawaii. ABC store is finally opening a new concept in the old Wailana Coffee shop and Canterbury Place just opened a slew of eateries. Throw in the new Hilton development coming up right across the street and you've got the ultimate urban metro experience for Hawaii.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:20 AM

533 posts, read 479,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
They are worthless as an investment yes. They are transacting for about half of what they were when we last discussed this in 2017. I believe the poster I was debating with was saying LH properties could triple in value based on "history". I think I made my point.

Having said that, if you're going to live in them for the duration of the lease maybe there's value to the security knowing you'll never be evicted by the landlord (before the lease expires). You will just have to take the risk of special assessments and potentially skyrocketing maintenance fees.

The building is in an exceptionally prime real estate location. Arguably the only truly walkable neighborhood in all of Hawaii. Far more walkable than Kakaako. You've got a post office, banks, urgent care, grocery store, coffee shops, nearly unlimited food and restaurant options and the beach/open park space all within a true few minutes stroll. There is no place like this anywhere in Hawaii. ABC store is finally opening a new concept in the old Wailana Coffee shop and Canterbury Place just opened a slew of eateries. Throw in the new Hilton development coming up right across the street and you've got the ultimate urban metro experience for Hawaii.
It's tempting but it sounds like it definitely has it's risks. Seems like there's the potential for a lot of deferred maintenance in a building like this.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:27 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
I happened across an add for a 3500sf condo in Honolulu for 350k, waterfront. My heart skipped a beat. Then I saw the 3500\m hoa and over 50k in yearly taxes based on a multimillion dollar assessment. Owner clearly wants out.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I happened across an add for a 3500sf condo in Honolulu for 350k, waterfront. My heart skipped a beat. Then I saw the 3500\m hoa and over 50k in yearly taxes based on a multimillion dollar assessment. Owner clearly wants out.
If it’s the complex I think it is, the units are also leasehold condos with a Lease fee that varies from about $3,00/mnth to $6,000/ mnth depending on size. To make matters worse, the leases expire in 2027 (I believe) and are not going to be renewed.

It’s the same complex where Jack Lord lived for years. But, again, I’m just guessing by your description of price, size and HOA fees that it’s the same complex. But it fits the description.

Old 01-09-2024, 03:38 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
If it’s the complex I think it is, the units are also leasehold condos with a Lease fee that varies from about $3,00/mnth to $6,000/ mnth depending on size. To make matters worse, the leases expire in 2027 (I believe) and are not going to be renewed.

It’s the same complex where Jack Lord lived for years. But, again, I’m just guessing by your description of price, size and HOA fees that it’s the same complex. But it fits the description.
Yes it's the same Kahala Beach Condominium. That unit's carrying cost is $14,000/mo with all fees and taxes plus insurance and utilities. So about $15,000/mo all in. Lease is good for another 42 months so if you pay $350k that's another ~$8,500/mo. So total ownership cost until you lose the unit in 42 months is about $23,500/mo. Short term rentals (30+ days) might net more than that so maybe that's the target buyer. Or someone rolling the dice that the fee may one day be offered or the lease extended for many years at a fairly reasonable cost. It will be interesting to see what happens to that project. It's the only Kahala condominium project on the beach. Exceptionally rare and prime land.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Yes it's the same Kahala Beach Condominium. That unit's carrying cost is $14,000/mo with all fees and taxes plus insurance and utilities. So about $15,000/mo all in. Lease is good for another 42 months so if you pay $350k that's another ~$8,500/mo. So total ownership cost until you lose the unit in 42 months is about $23,500/mo. Short term rentals (30+ days) might net more than that so maybe that's the target buyer. Or someone rolling the dice that the fee may one day be offered or the lease extended for many years at a fairly reasonable cost. It will be interesting to see what happens to that project. It's the only Kahala condominium project on the beach. Exceptionally rare and prime land.
I've been watching that complex for a few years and am very curious to see how it plays out and what happens if/when the lease is not extended. I heard a rumor once a few years back that the lease was not going to be extended and the property eventually re-developed. I don't know if that was true or not, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 01-09-2024, 04:51 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Quote:
Yes. This is the place. I see on Zillow one sold for 120k in May, ‘22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: