Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 08:31 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,886,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
You sure convinced me. Thank you!

I always thought that Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill (cities) anchor the Research Triangle area generally, and the Research Triangle Park is located between those cities. It also happens that each of these cities hosts one Tier-1 Research University; one is a top 7 national university, and another is a top 22 national (top 4 public) research university. NCSU is a top 28 national university. The Research Triangle area is considered to be a top 5 Life Science hub in the United States, and a top 10 tech hub as well.

Researchers from UNC-CH, Duke University and NCSU often collaborate with each other, and many spin-offs are produced as a result. The area is one of the top 5 or 6 largest recipients of NSF research funding grants in the country. This is what I thought, until now.

Thank you for pointing out that other cities have hospitals (with beds) --- just like Chapel Hill does. I need to get out and venture around the State of NC more. Who knew?
The Universities do anchor it, but RTP is much bigger than just the three cities where those Universities are.

Wake County population is over 1.1 million but Raleigh is about 488K. So less than half of the Wake County population. Most of Durham counties population is actually in the city. But Orange has about 150k where Chapel Hill is only about 63k of that.

Not to mention RTP's jobs also has influence in Chatham, Johnston, Harnett, Franklin, Granville, Person counties among others. That is what I meant by RTP is more of a NC thing, It supports much more than 3 cities. Its also not just a research thing either, it is as much an office park/job park as anything. The State has a number of offices located there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 10:37 AM

382 posts, read 214,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The Universities do anchor it, but RTP is much bigger than just the three cities where those Universities are.

Wake County population is over 1.1 million but Raleigh is about 488K. So less than half of the Wake County population. Most of Durham counties population is actually in the city. But Orange has about 150k where Chapel Hill is only about 63k of that.

Not to mention RTP's jobs also has influence in Chatham, Johnston, Harnett, Franklin, Granville, Person counties among others. That is what I meant by RTP is more of a NC thing, It supports much more than 3 cities. Its also not just a research thing either, it is as much an office park/job park as anything. The State has a number of offices located there now.
We just see things differently. And that's ok.

To your point, the medical school built in Greenville has made the town the primary economic engine of Eastern North Carolina. But, without it, Greenville would be a sleepy college town.

It is the chicken or the egg situation: If Chapel Hill didn't have UNC-CH, it wouldn't be part of the Research Triangle, but it does, and it is. Same with Durham and Raleigh, and this is hardly unique. Look at Boston and the Bay Area as other examples.

RTP has become more of a Life Sciences hub vs a tech hub, although it is both (Apple wanted to be located in RTP for example; Google is in Durham). And many of these jobs are located outside of RTP proper, as you mentioned, for a number of reasons; Durham has the Durham Innovation District for example, and Chapel Hill is building its own Innovation district; Morrisville, Cary etc. have lots of jobs. Then of course, you have NCSU's Centennial Campus. Heck, even Raleigh's North Hills is building an Innovation District. They are popping up like mushrooms. All of this is forcing Research Triangle Park to reinvent itself, by moving towards a "live-work-play" environment: Hub RTRP as an example. Other examples are Amgen and Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies; both in Holly Springs adjacent to RTP proper. Johnston County has created a vibrant life sciences cluster. Still, the bulk of this activity remains in Wake, Durham and Orange counties. Not really "an NC thing".

Old 04-11-2024, 06:42 AM

59,428 posts, read 27,577,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
In terms of relevance and importance to the state? You can measure "importance" and "relevance" by a number of factors that matter to you; for me it's a combination of economy, cultural weight, influence on the state, etc...

I think there's unanimous agreement that Charlotte and Raleigh are the Top 2 cities here, so feel free to exclude them if you choose. This thread doesn't need to be a debate about whichever is #1 to you, though. Those are the Top 2 in whatever order...

So what about the rest? I reserve the right to change my rankings upon further review lol...

1 Charlotte
2 Raleigh
3 Greensboro
4 Durham
5 Winston-Salem
6 Fayetteville
7 Asheville
8 Wilmington
9 Cary
10 Concord
11 Greenville
12 Chapel Hill
13 Hickory
14 New Bern
15 Jacksonville
I'll take small cities, or towns of you want to call them that, over big cities any day.

Old 05-18-2024, 07:50 PM

58 posts, read 27,276 times
Interesting fact. North Carolina is one of only a few states where not one of its 15 largest cities lost population. By comparison, only 3 of Georgia's top 15 grew, the rest lost population.

Old Today, 07:28 PM

4,600 posts, read 3,428,562 times
I know its not on the list, but I am sooooooo glad I moved to Morganton in 2016. It has all the ingredients for a great future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina