Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 01:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,405,142 times

Advertisements

I would really give the Sanford area a second look.

I'd much rather live in Fayetteville than Raeford, too. Not sure why he steered you to Raeford. I grew up in Fayetteville and my folks lived there for most of their lives. I still have friends in the area. Folks seem to like Hope Mills these days, in the Jack Britt high school district. Maybe out near Gray's Creek. Of course, up toward Southern Pines and Pinehurst is nice too. Somewhere near Vass would get you on base pretty quickly but be near Southern Pines and Pinehurst for shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 13,630 times
We have a few listings scheduled with 2 in Sanford. Going to give that a chance. We have kids and it looks like everyone at work sends there kids to private schools in Fayetteville. Saw one school that was almost 20K for high school level.... what in the heck is that about

Old 07-01-2022, 08:15 AM

13,386 posts, read 27,185,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiqidee View Post
We have a few listings scheduled with 2 in Sanford. Going to give that a chance. We have kids and it looks like everyone at work sends there kids to private schools in Fayetteville. Saw one school that was almost 20K for high school level.... what in the heck is that about
The tuition of $20K is not unusual for private schools. However the Jack Britt HS in Fayetteville is decent. If you could settle for a smaller lot, it could be a good option.
Also look at Eastover, Lillington, Erwin etc if you want acreage.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:26 AM

3,651 posts, read 4,528,000 times
I'm far from Fayetteville's biggest fan, but even I would rather live in Fay than Raeford...at least there are some amenities in Fay. I'm serious, Raeford is a very very depressing place along...Hoke County, Cumberland County, Robeson County, Scotland County, Richmond County I just can't recommend to anyone for any reason if the whole state is open to them. I understand your reasoning, but I would just highly advise against it. Sanford, Lillington, Siler City, much better options. If you still want to be in the general Triangle area but farther with with cheaper land and housing, looking in the Oxford, Rougemont, Franklinton area would also be lightyears better than Raeford.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:28 PM

930 posts, read 838,878 times
Not sure why someone said that Raeford is not a nice place, Hoke County is literally an affluent suburb of Fayetteville that is seeing some of the fastest growth rates in the state - far outweighing Sanfod, Pinehurst, Chapel Hill, etc.

I highly recommend Hoke County, although honestly Fayetteville is not bad at all & I’m sure you will enjoy living in the area.

10-15 years ago, Hoke County was a very bland rural county with a relatively notable amount of poverty. Today, it is one of the fastest growing areas in the state with numerous new gated communities, shopping plazas, and an impressive $20M state-of-the-art aquatic center. Cross the county line and you’re directly into a very fast growing and relatively affluent area in Fayetteville, with nationally rated schools and an upscale grocer with another planned, along with an exit to the beltway.

Anyone who thinks Sanford is better than Raeford, has not been to either in a while.

Comparatively, Hoke County has;

Higher population growth
5x recent job growth
More healthcare options
Easier access to Fayetteville shopping, dining, recreation, etc
Lower taxes
Better fire coverage

Property values are slightly higher in Raeford than Sanford, but in theory you can’t go wrong with either - I just don’t know how anyone would justify a longer drive from a pretty basic town that is getting left behind by Raeford.

I really like Fayetteville, but I also really like Hoke County and would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn’t want to live in the city for whatever reason, presumably more property for less value and less congestion. Hoke County schools are not as affluent or highly rated as Cumberland County (or Harnett - Fayetteville’s more “prestigious” suburban country).

I also very much recommend Hope Mills, which is probably the #1 suburb of Fayetteville growing at nearly 18% and is within the beltway.

Whenever I worked in Fayetteville, the majority of people in my office either lived within the city of Fayetteville, Hope Mills, or Hoke County (Raeford).

Last edited by Archer705; 07-01-2022 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
This statement makes no sense to me at all. Raeford has US 1, US 421, US 15-501 and NC 87 all going through its city limits, more federal and state roads than does Raeford. And Sanford has a much bigger population than Raeford as well. Where were you looking at when you visited there?
Presumably the original poster is not interested in living within the city limits of Raeford, but rather the massive unincorporated area of eastern Hoke County that easily has an exponentially larger population than the actual City of Raeford and larger than Sanford, and probably accounts for 85-90% of Hoke County’s total population. This particular area has US 401 running through it and is about 1.5 miles or so from I-295 - which are the only two highways that matter in terms of Fayetteville recreation.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:29 AM

3,651 posts, read 4,528,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Not sure why someone said that Raeford is not a nice place, Hoke County is literally an affluent suburb of Fayetteville that is seeing some of the fastest growth rates in the state - far outweighing Sanfod, Pinehurst, Chapel Hill, etc.

I highly recommend Hoke County, although honestly Fayetteville is not bad at all & I’m sure you will enjoy living in the area.

10-15 years ago,
Hoke County was a very bland rural county with a relatively notable amount of poverty. Today, it is one of the fastest growing areas in the state with numerous new gated communities, shopping plazas, and an impressive $20M state-of-the-art aquatic center. Cross the county line and you’re directly into a very fast growing and relatively affluent area in Fayetteville, with nationally rated schools and an upscale grocer with another planned, along with an exit to the beltway.

Anyone who thinks Sanford is better than Raeford, has not been to either in a while.

Comparatively, Hoke County has;

Higher population growth
5x recent job growth
More healthcare options
Easier access to Fayetteville shopping, dining, recreation, etc
Lower taxes
Better fire coverage

Property values are slightly higher in Raeford than Sanford, but in theory you can’t go wrong with either - I just don’t know how anyone would justify a longer drive from a pretty basic town that is getting left behind by Raeford.

I really like Fayetteville, but I also really like Hoke County and would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn’t want to live in the city for whatever reason, presumably more property for less value and less congestion. Hoke County schools are not as affluent or highly rated as Cumberland County (or Harnett - Fayetteville’s more “prestigious” suburban country).

I also very much recommend Hope Mills, which is probably the #1 suburb of Fayetteville growing at nearly 18% and is within the beltway.

Whenever I worked in Fayetteville, the majority of people in my office either lived within the city of Fayetteville, Hope Mills, or Hoke County (Raeford).
Yeah, I'll add that disclaimer to my previous posts: I admittedly did all my Hoke/Cumberland time 10 years ago...I forget how long I've lived in this state sometimes. Time is weird man. Maybe I'll pass through one of these days to see what's new...Aberdeen and SP too

Old 07-08-2022, 06:46 AM

4,267 posts, read 11,452,762 times
Your posts reminds me of someone from the Northeast who bought a home with land out in Willow Spring around 2010. He purchased there because he could get more bang for his buck. Ultimately, he HATED it there and ended up moving elsewhere.

Bottom line, don’t buy/build just to get more bang for your buck. It’s not all about the house. It’s about lifestyle. My recommendation, avoid Raeford like one would avoid Henderson.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Your posts reminds me of someone from the Northeast who bought a home with land out in Willow Spring around 2010. He purchased there because he could get more bang for his buck. Ultimately, he HATED it there and ended up moving elsewhere.

Bottom line, don’t buy/build just to get more bang for your buck. It’s not all about the house. It’s about lifestyle. My recommendation, avoid Raeford like one would avoid Henderson.
Merely based on preference, I don’t think I could ever find myself living within any city again, whether it’s Raleigh, Boston, or Knoxville.

I would much rather own a house on a couple of acres in a small town than be stuck in a heavily taxed sub division surrounded by noise pollution and urban policies.

What is Henderson? Nevada?

Old 07-08-2022, 10:26 PM

878 posts, read 1,027,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Merely based on preference, I don’t think I could ever find myself living within any city again, whether it’s Raleigh, Boston, or Knoxville.

I would much rather own a house on a couple of acres in a small town than be stuck in a heavily taxed sub division surrounded by noise pollution and urban policies.

What is Henderson? Nevada?
Henderson is a town north of Raleigh near the intersection of I-85 and U.S. 1 that's known by some for having a really high crime rate. Here's city-data's own report comparing Henderson to the national average.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina