Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 06:19 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
In my college years I worked at an overnight summer camp in the mountains where the overwhelming majority of campers were "legacy" kids whose parents and even grandparents had attended in decades past and were generally from "old money" families throughout NC.

The standard-bearer addresses those kids were coming from were in ITB Raleigh, Myers Park Charlotte, whatever the base zone is for "Grimsley High School" is in Greensboro, and "Reynolda area" of Winston.

There was also a surprisingly well-represented group of legacy campers from Hickory & Lenoir

No joke...there was ONE session every summer in early August where Cary-kids dominated. It was everyone's least-favorite session. (I would have fallen into the Cary-kids category when I was growing up FWIW )
Hickory and Lenoir aren't totally surprising because of their history of furniture manufacturing. Just like a lot of the other smaller cities with old money families, that wealth, relative to the rest of the community's population is found among a small portion of the population.

In a lot of those blue collar cities with legacy industries, most of the community is in a working class income bracket. While not in dire poverty, they are barely scraping by and don't have much extra money. They're lucky when they can pay for their essentials of basic housing, utilities, groceries, and if they're really lucky, health care.

What was it about the Cary kids that was so off-putting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 11:22 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What about Fayetteville, Asheville, New Bern, Kinston, High Point, Burlington, Greenville, Wilson, Salisbury, Monroe or Elizabeth City?

Old 03-09-2021, 06:14 AM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Fayetteville, Asheville, New Bern, Kinston, High Point, Burlington, Greenville, Wilson, Salisbury, Monroe or Elizabeth City?
What about them?

Old 03-09-2021, 10:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
While I really didn't know anything about it before I went to State for college, I soon learned that having gone to Reynolds' for high school in W-S was a "thing".

Old 03-09-2021, 11:05 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
While I really didn't know anything about it before I went to State for college, I soon learned that having gone to Reynolds' for high school in W-S was a "thing".
Yes; Reynolds in Winston and Grimsley in Greensboro are like Broughton in Raleigh or Myers Park in Charlotte.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:10 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Longmeadow and Rock Springs areas of Greenville.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The funny thing is that having moved to Raleigh as I was entering junior high in Raleigh, and living in north Raleigh, I didn't even know that going to Broughton was a "thing" either. LOL

Old 03-10-2021, 11:05 AM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
The interesting thing about Durham is that it doesn't seem to have as many old money neighborhoods apart from Forest Hills. And Durham was bigger than Raleigh until the 1950s.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
The interesting thing about Durham is that it doesn't seem to have as many old money neighborhoods apart from Forest Hills. And Durham was bigger than Raleigh until the 1950s.
Sounds like it was more about who was living in each city, rather than how many there were. Raleigh was never the manufacturing town that Durham was.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:40 PM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Hope Valley is THE old money neighborhood in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina