Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 03:58 PM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

"You should ask him out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 10:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
From my successful entrepreneur dad: "Work off the books, don't get in a partnership".

So my highest-earning years did not contribute to Social Security. Now I'm retired and resentful of that advice.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:22 PM

3,148 posts, read 1,604,883 times
From my Dad: "College is a waste of money for a woman; women just go to college to meet a man and get married."

I put myself through college and ended up with a fantastic job; married a wonderful man who I did not meet in college.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:07 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
To borrow money for a car and live without roommates as soon as I could qualify. I would have been about $250k poorer by now if I had listened to those people.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 AM

3,148 posts, read 1,604,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
To borrow money for a car and live without roommates as soon as I could qualify. I would have been about $250k poorer by now if I had listened to those people.
Smart. My daughter lived with two-three roommates for many years post college splitting rent and utilities. She took the smallest bedroom as they prorated rent by bedroom size.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
My mother told me not to go to college.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
"You should buy this !!!"

Something I learned a long time ago is that when somebody else is enthusiastically trying to advise you to buy something it's usually because they'd like to have the same thing for their self but they can't afford it and they're hopeful that if you buy it then you'll let them use it too.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:59 PM

38 posts, read 9,094 times
The worst advice that I've ever received, which was from multiple people- "do whatever your attorney tells you to do" in a custody case. It was only when I stopped taking that advice that I won custody of my daughter after fighting for 12 years.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:40 PM

1,017 posts, read 787,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
My mother told me not to go to college.
Mine was similar. She worked at her job for over 30 years with no degree and retired. She used to have the saying, "Get a good job, you get pay raises, and retire from it." I remember being 18, and she would give me tons of newspaper clippings of factory jobs.*I told her i refuse to rot at a factory job.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:23 AM

22,211 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Mine was similar. She worked at her job for over 30 years with no degree and retired. She used to have the saying, "Get a good job, you get pay raises, and retire from it." I remember being 18, and she would give me tons of newspaper clippings of factory jobs.*I told her i refuse to rot at a factory job.
i had a friend who was told the same get a factory job and do not aspire for anything beyond that. no one on either side of her family had ever gone to college (much less graduated from college), it was considered an achievement to even graduate from high school. she said the only job she could get was on a factory line at the cigarette factory, pulling broken cigarettes off the conveyor belt. her mom was ecstatic and told her that is a great job because she got to keep the broken cigarettes. (in her family they also all started smoking in grade school). all her friends were jealous too of the cigarette factory job.

her next job was at the phone company. her family said that was the best she could do and to not try for anything else, "just keep your mouth shut and don't lose your job and don't try to get promoted and retire in 30 years." after something like 10 years in a very entry level position one day she heard someone on the bus say something about a PhD. She said to herself "i don't know what that is but i'm gonna get me one. i'm gonna get me a PhD." she asked someone at work what's a PhD. He told her she could take one class at a time if she ever wanted to get a degree. So she spent something like the next 15-20 years taking one class at a time, and having to take many of them over because she failed them. through all of this she worked full time, eventually getting an associate degree, and then a bachelor's degree.

she ended up staying with the phone company yes for decades, yes for her whole working life, but in that time she literally worked her way up from the most menial entry level job at the phone company, to being a manager, to being a department head. also just before the promised retirement, something like 6 months before her retirement and promised pension she was laid off. yes by the phone company. along with many many others.

and she still wanted her PhD. unemployed now she kept taking classes and went into a whole bunch of debt. but yes after a whole bunch more years she got her PhD. i have never met anyone that has the tenacity of that woman. she went on to start her own company, became a broadcaster has her own radio show and is a motivational speaker. she is a very uplifting person to be around and many are inspired by her story and her teaching and her success. i worked for her for a time, when she was still working on her PhD, she hired me to transcribe tapes for various research papers she was writing. All fascinating material for me to listen to and to transcribe. Her PhD was in Organizational Psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships