Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 AM

10 posts, read 138,198 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering about Cherry Hill too.
Is there a train from Cherry Hill to Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 22,339 times
I have lived in South Jersey for 27 years (was born and raised in Bergen County in North Jersey) and have worked in Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill has its pluses and minuses. First of all, yes, there is a train that runs from Cherry Hill (Woodcrest Station) that is also convenient to Voorhees, NJ. The train is run by PATCO and I have been relying on it with very few complaints all these years. There's also a train from Cherry Hill to Atlantic City.

Pluses: LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of shopping, of every sort imaginable. A giant indoor mall. Lots of competitive grocery stores, so food prices stay low. Lots of restaurants, diners and restaurant chains. Lots of medical offices and at least one hospital that I can think of off the top of my head. Close to Philly (I get into Philly within 15 minutes when I leave Cherry Hill from Route 70). A great big, new library with a lot of computer resources. No real downtown, but a new "town center" being built on the site of the old Garden State Racetrack. Very nice housing stock. Good schools. Close to other great towns like Moorestown and Marlton and Mt. Laurel, who also have plenty of malls and shopping. Lots of churches and synagogues.

Minuses: HORRENDOUS traffic. That 15 minute trip over the bridge into Philly can take 3 times that long in the morning. All the main roads, especially Route 70 and 295, get backed up during rush hour. Route 70 more so because it has traffic lights. Housing is pricey. Taxes are pretty high, although they just rolled back a proposed tax increase. No real sense of this being a "town," although we'll see if the new town center changes that. People can be a little "attitudinal," which I think is spillover from being so close to Philly.

If you want to expand your search a bit, try Collingswood and Westmont / Haddon Heights. If they are still too pricey, try some of the towns at the northern edge of Gloucester County, because they are near Route 295 and really not that far from Cherry Hill. Try Woodbury (check the crime rate first), Woolwich, Deptford and West Deptford. Westville is an older working-class town, and you may be able to find a housing bargain there. Stay away from Mullica Hill / Harrison Township. Housing prices are going through the roof there.

Housing prices are getting high here in South Jersey, but they are NOWHERE near the level they are in North Jersey. My family still lives in North Jersey and they cannot believe that little ranch houses go for $500-600,000. The real estate market has slowed here in South Jersey, and when I cruise the real estate sites, I notice a lot of "Price Reduced" notices on the listings.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:52 AM
RNG

31 posts, read 130,422 times
Default Train to Philly

If you are looking for a town with convenience to the speedline to Philly, look at Collingswood, Haddon Twp (Westmont), or Haddonfield. Cherry Hill does have a speedline stop but the city of Cherry Hill is quite vast and depending on where you live you could have driven to Philly and back in the same amount of time it takes you to go to the Cherry Hill station.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM

201 posts, read 1,014,954 times
I lived in Cherry Hill for 30 years. It is a great place to grow up. Easy transportation to Philly. Traffic is not that bad, maybe Rt 70 at rush hour and Kresson Rd when East is starting school, but not too bad. I moved to Atlanta, so let me tell you about traffic you do not have it bad there.

The East side of Cherry Hill is nicer than the West side. I know people will fight me on that, but it is the truth, as the East side is near nicer towns and closer to Patco. But there are some nice spots on the West side too.

Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM

17 posts, read 98,874 times
What can you guys say about Cherry Hill being very close to Camden? Been discouraged to choose Cherry Hill as my work location because it's close to Camden.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM

859 posts, read 3,326,436 times
I lived in Bergen County for 18 years and fought as hard as I could not to move to south Jersey. But now that i have adjusted I will say that I love Cherry Hill, Mt. Laurel (we're I'm at), Marlton, Moorestown, Haddonfield, Medford. It's definately the good part of south west jersey, lots of shopping, places to eat, things to do. If those kinds of social things appeal to you, you're in the right spot. You don't wanna go down further south to like Salem, Gloucester, Cumberland...it's more rural down there.

atejams- i shop at cherry hill mall all the time and i never feel unsafe...cherry hill and camden are like 2 different worlds. And Pennsauken and Collingswood sort of seperate Cherry Hill from Camden. Not that those two towns are all that, but they're just sort of a baracade so to speak.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 PM

That's one of the locations of the company I might be signing up with. And despite Cherry Hill being an ideal place, Camden somehow overshadowed it. But I am happy to hear about your personal experience. I'm an occupational therapist, my offer is $29/hr. u think it's good enough with the cost of living there?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,945 times
Hi , I live in cherry hill and love it. I work in Philly so it is accesible for work -but everything you could want is in cherry hill. The only problem with cherry hill is the huge property taxes

Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 62,277 times
i see no one really mentions deptford which is very affordable. I think it's great - quiet and countrylike yet 1-3 minutes away from the mall and grocery store, 7 mins from 295 and 20 mins from Philly. look into it and see if it meets your needs.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 AM

THANKS! seems like Cherry Hill has been downgraded bec of Camden. but thanks for the good words about CH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia