Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 09:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times

Advertisements

So I know it's not 2024 yet but we decided to stay close to home for vacation next year.
We used to love OCNJ but haven't been since 2015. WTH!! Went on line to start researching some rentals
And darn near fainted from the prices. What happened, I looked at Berger reality. Am I searching wrong? Are these prices really this out of control? 5-6k for a week, not even oceanfront?
HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 12:40 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I know it's not 2024 yet but we decided to stay close to home for vacation next year.
We used to love OCNJ but haven't been since 2015. WTH!! Went on line to start researching some rentals
And darn near fainted from the prices. What happened, I looked at Berger reality. Am I searching wrong? Are these prices really this out of control? 5-6k for a week, not even oceanfront?
HELP
Yes, those are, unfortunately, the prices now. We went for one night last October, and paid $300 for one night in hotel. The problem is people are still paying those high prices.

There used to be more established and older stock of housing, that kept prices reasonable. But through the years those homes get razed and they build brand new housing. Instead of 2 bedroom homes that were reasonable, now there are giant 4 and 5 bedroom houses. So instead of renting from someone whose house was paid off, now these new homeowners are trying to pay $4000 or $5000 a month mortgages and housing costs reflect that. Same reason there are no reasonable year round rentals anymore (I had an apartment on the boardwalk for 18 years until 2017, $650 a month when I moved in, $800 when I left).

Many more investors buying property now.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:15 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Check Vrbo. I just took a quick look and there are a few places that cost a bit less.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:17 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
This summer, I think a fair number of people said forget about it and went elsewhere. I love OC, but there is no way I will pay those crazy rental prices. The Inquirer had an article about some shore homeowners having unbooked weekends and having to drop prices. https://www.inquirer.com/news/new-je...-20230810.html Not sure if the Inquirer's paywall will let you read that article.

Old 12-12-2023, 06:36 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
I don't get it either. It costs more for a family of 4 to fly first class to Europe, travel around for 10 days and have some change left over then it is to go rent something down the Jersey Shore (And Cape Cod, Long Island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Maine and Newport RI) for a week or two. I don't get it.

If you are going to spend that much... go to South Florida?

I just checked. A rental for a week in Aruba is $1100 (2 bedrooms) directly on the beach at a popular resort on Eagle Beach. Flights are $440 roundtrip (Obviously will go down as we get closer too). If you do two weeks in Aruba for a family of four, it would be $4300 for just flights, hotels and a rental car for two weeks!

Ocean City is nice, but why would someone go out of their way to spend a whole week down there?

Old 12-12-2023, 12:09 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I don't get it either. It costs more for a family of 4 to fly first class to Europe, travel around for 10 days and have some change left over then it is to go rent something down the Jersey Shore (And Cape Cod, Long Island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Maine and Newport RI) for a week or two. I don't get it.

I just checked. A rental for a week in Aruba is $1100 (2 bedrooms) directly on the beach at a popular resort on Eagle Beach. Flights are $440 roundtrip (Obviously will go down as we get closer too). If you do two weeks in Aruba for a family of four, it would be $4300 for just flights, hotels and a rental car for two weeks!

Ocean City is nice, but why would someone go out of their way to spend a whole week down there?
The rental/airbnb is going to collapse. Certainly an uptick during the covid era, and people are creatures of habit returning to what they may have done the prior year.

I can see Ocean City being convenient with kids/teens and getting the family together, but for adults besides sitting on the beach, you can see everything Ocean City has to offer in a single day trip. Growing up we went to the Jersey Shore for vacation when my parents were on a budget for a cheap vacation that year. Now-a-days you're better taking a flight somewhere else and for less.

The market is changing for Airbnb as consumers are now favoring hotels verses the house rentals.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:46 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:

We don't know who will be going on this vacation. There might be a young infant or an elderly person. A member of the group may be unable* or unwilling to fly. Someone with a serious disease or disorder probably doesn't want to be too far away from a great big city hospital.

*If I had to fly to a vacation destination, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/con...ance-disorders

A whole week at the shore? We used to fish, crab, rent paddleboats, small boats, and fly kites. We walked up a lot of steps to the top of the lighthouse. Kids went to the amusement park one evening. Entertainment at bars was very good. Seafood was fresh off the boat. Fireworks!

When it rained we went to places like Batsto.

https://batstovillage.org/

Old 12-15-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We don't know who will be going on this vacation. There might be a young infant or an elderly person. A member of the group may be unable* or unwilling to fly. Someone with a serious disease or disorder probably doesn't want to be too far away from a great big city hospital.

A whole week at the shore? We used to fish, crab, rent paddleboats, small boats, and fly kites. We walked up a lot of steps to the top of the lighthouse. Kids went to the amusement park one evening. Entertainment at bars was very good. Seafood was fresh off the boat. Fireworks!

He is just saying there is better value in leaving on a real vacation then renting one of these homes. Heck, i'm going to an inclusive high-end resort on a small island in the Caribbean during Christmas week this year for my Honeymoon, and it costs significantly less than the house I rented down the shore for a few days for my bachelor party.

Sure the Jersey Shore has a lot to offer, but its our own backyard, however the cost to rent a place to stay there no longer make sense. The lure of the Jersey Shore was convenience and affordability, greed has taken ahold down there.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 12-15-2023 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-15-2023, 01:41 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Yeah I am not saying that you can't have fun in the Jersey Shore. It's a fine place. But when it outpaces destinations like Aruba, a trip to Europe, South Florida and various other places.. like let's be real here lol.

This truly is an attack on the working and lower middle class from enjoying a nice weekend trip within their home state, a short drive away. Not just in NJ, but all over the Northeast. I think NJ has this problem the least.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah I am not saying that you can't have fun in the Jersey Shore. It's a fine place. But when it outpaces destinations like Aruba, a trip to Europe, South Florida and various other places.. like let's be real here lol.

This truly is an attack on the working and lower middle class from enjoying a nice weekend trip within their home state, a short drive away. Not just in NJ, but all over the Northeast. I think NJ has this problem the least.
Exactly.. lets see an all inclusive Scandic, Mediterranean or Alaskan cruise or a duplex rental 3 blocks from the shore for 25% more.

Or pack the kids into the car and go to Disney for the week for 50% less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia