Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 02:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times

Advertisements

Hi Nevadans. I'm from Idaho and recently had the privilege of driving through eastern Nevada on our way to Las Vegas. Just wanted to let you know how pretty your state is and how much we appreciated the drive. That area, especially from the northern border, through Wells and down around Ely is very scenic. Has as similar look and feel as parts of western Montana around the Madison River valley, though dryer. Huge skies with mountains and wide open valleys. The Ruby Mountains and Great Basin National Park (same area, different trip) are both incredible. Then the low desert descending down to Las Vegas has it's own unique beauty, in particular the rocky canyons near the Pahranagat Valley and the White River Narrows on highway 318.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 10:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I agree, and even better is part between Reno and Lake Tahoe, along the Mt. Rose highway. Before Covid we would go rent a condo every summer at Incline Village. If you haven't been there, give it a try some time. Now if you want to see the worst part of Nevada, take highway 80, between Winnemucca and Elko.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:25 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Hi Nevadans. I'm from Idaho and recently had the privilege of driving through eastern Nevada on our way to Las Vegas. Just wanted to let you know how pretty your state is and how much we appreciated the drive. That area, especially from the northern border, through Wells and down around Ely is very scenic. Has as similar look and feel as parts of western Montana around the Madison River valley, though dryer. Huge skies with mountains and wide open valleys. The Ruby Mountains and Great Basin National Park (same area, different trip) are both incredible. Then the low desert descending down to Las Vegas has it's own unique beauty, in particular the rocky canyons near the Pahranagat Valley and the White River Narrows on highway 318.
Agency business has taken me to Ely several times. I have not yet had time to visit Great Basin National Park, but I have visited the railroad museum (didn't stay to take the train ride, because it was to leave two hours after I arrived and I had to drive home), and Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park. One of the photos that I took at the latter is the wallpaper on my cell phone. I plan to take a trip up there when I don't have business to attend to, just to take my time and explore the area.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Agency business has taken me to Ely several times. I have not yet had time to visit Great Basin National Park, but I have visited the railroad museum (didn't stay to take the train ride, because it was to leave two hours after I arrived and I had to drive home), and Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park. One of the photos that I took at the latter is the wallpaper on my cell phone. I plan to take a trip up there when I don't have business to attend to, just to take my time and explore the area.
If you ever get out to Great Basin National Park be sure to reserve a tour of the Lehman Caves. The area in and around Wheeler Peak Campground (the highest campground in the park) is also amazing. The park has been designated a International Dark Sky Park, so stay up late one night to view the stars.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:03 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, and even better is part between Reno and Lake Tahoe, along the Mt. Rose highway. Before Covid we would go rent a condo every summer at Incline Village. If you haven't been there, give it a try some time. Now if you want to see the worst part of Nevada, take highway 80, between Winnemucca and Elko.
Agree with both of these points.

When I used to do summer motorcycle trips up to MT, ID, etc (out of socal), I'd stay overnight in Winnemucca, then onto Elko, Wells, then north on 93 into ID.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:44 AM

267 posts, read 303,674 times
We drove from the SF Bay Area to Great Basin National Park last summer. One of the prettiest and least crowded parks that I have seen - took Hwy 50 which was an experience - although some of these small towns like Eureka are speed traps. Ely and Las Vegas are in the same state but so dissimilar.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:29 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
I guess I'll have to be the downer in this thread and disagree. The Utah side is more green and much prettier IMO. As you cross into NV it just gets more and more brown and ugly with the exception being the forested area around Wheeler Peak.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I guess I'll have to be the downer in this thread and disagree. The Utah side is more green and much prettier IMO. As you cross into NV it just gets more and more brown and ugly with the exception being the forested area around Wheeler Peak.
Western Nevada is certainly drier/browner than the east. Guessing because it's in the rain shadow of the Sierra Nevada. Not sure I would call it ugly, though. Nothing quite like a fiery NV desert sunset.

And the valleys in eastern NV are for sure high desert sagebrush. But traveling along highway 50 one crosses a series of mountain passes. These mountains are forested, mostly pinyon-juniper woodlands (similar to much of Utah). Get off the main highways and many of the mountain slopes have streams, aspen groves, and firs.

Wheeler Peak (Great Basin National Park) is indeed very forested. But same with the High Schells Wilderness, Mt Moriah, the Ruby Mountains, Jarbidge Wilderness (far north east), and really too many smaller ranges/peaks to name. I agree that it's a different look from the larger, greener mountains in UT, but I don't think they are less scenic. Though I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Thanks for mentioning Pahranagat Valley and the White River Narrows. Did not know about them.

I am intrigued by eastern NV (and central and western). Studying maps / looking at pics. Comparisons to other western states may lead to thinking about how the natural areas are different; but an open mind can find environmental pluses, sometimes different pluses or pockets of more conventionally sought after pluses.

I saw a reference to Nevada's mountains as "300 sky islands". I liked that term and the examples in Arizona. Previously I tended to think of most of Nevada's mountains as too dry / barren. Often are indeed dry and pretty barren but less so in the east and north. The variety and potential for discovery seems pretty good and under-rated.

Cities are sparse. Know some about Elko and Ely and a few others. More to learn.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-31-2022 at 04:20 AM..

Old 07-31-2022, 08:00 AM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
‘Sky island’ is exactly how I describe the sometimes bare-looking mountain tops to my friends. Here, at around 6500’ to 7000’ feet in the desert ranges, the sage and pinion often merge into fir, aspen, pine and huge manzanita thickets. There are fresh-water springs scattered throughout the hills (sometimes found by following mustang trails). Some areas that look like sage, desert and rock from google earth are actually verdant springs with mustangs and wild game under shady willows and cottonwood tucked into a ravine.

Of course the Ruby Mountains are known for their alpine beauty in Eastern Nevada. Great Basin National Park is another alpine oasis. Nevada is unique for wide open accessible adventures as over 70% of the state is federal land with old mining roads beckoning exploration. We are also considered the most mountainous state in the lower 48 and geographically unique as ‘The Great Basin’, where all rivers flow into the basin, not out to the sea.

Here is a nice resource for adventures:

https://travelnevada.com/

https://publiclands.org/pages/nevadapubliclands

Last edited by ChrisMT; 07-31-2022 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada