Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,524,100 times

Advertisements

Some of our places to shop....the unmarked building used to be a roller skating rink, but it closed ~2007 I believe. It was one of the few places for kids to go - something we are in short supply of around here. Altho some would argue that when they were young, they didn't have these fancy places to entertain us, they'd entertain themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02276.jpg   Nye County-dsc02277.jpg   Nye County-dsc02278.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Some of our places to shop....the unmarked building used to be a roller skating rink, but it closed ~2007 I believe. It was one of the few places for kids to go - something we are in short supply of around here. Altho some would argue that when they were young, they didn't have these fancy places to entertain us, they'd entertain themselves.
Hard to beat a dirt bike for good Pahrump entertainment.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM

^^^ I completely agree. With a million acres of nothing-ness around here, dirt bikes/atv's should be in every garage out here.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM

A couple of pix of Shadow Mountain, located on the north end of of town. Depending on the time of day, this mountain will look completely different. Great hiking opportunities
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02322.jpg   Nye County-dsc02323.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM

This facility has created HUGE disagreements with the locals. This is a federally owned detention center, operated by a privately held company (CCA). A detention center is not a prison - it's a holding facility for those that have been convicted of a crime but not yet sentenced. They will be housed for a maximum of 1 yr, typically they will only be here for ~90 days or so. This facility has a 5 yr contract, at the end of 5 yrs it could stay as a detention center OR become a prison.

This 1000+ bed facility opened October 2009, the public was invited to tour it before they started moving inmates into it. Pretty dang interesting tour. It is located ~2 miles from Hwy 160 (our main street), they have cameras that can read license plates on passing vehicles on Hwy 160! The fence surrounding the facility is electric - it will & does kill animals that come in contact with it.

The big disagreement with the locals comes in to play with 1) placement of the facility & 2) supposedly no one notified the public. In ~2006 the government was looking for a place to put a detention center in Nye County, the local newspaper ran an article when this was happening. Nye County offered a few different places to look at, but the government wanted this specific location (a spot Nye County had NOT offered). Because you can't exactly tell the government no, County officials had to change the zoning laws to accommodate this new facility. There were MANY BOCC meetings that happened between 2006 & 2009. I attending a LOT of these meetings - at the beginning, there weren't many people attending the meetings, but once word got out that a PRISON was coming town....these meetings were standing room only.

The detention center is located across the street from our landfill. There are some houses near this location, but not many. People complained their property values would go down (um, you already live next to the dump....); they complained the lights would impede their view of the stars (lighting was changed to accommodate this); they complained there would be breakouts (none yet & where exactly would they go?) & lastly, they complained CCA would not provide locals any jobs (CCA has done a marvelous job with this). Starting pay for a guard? $27/hr! Nothing else here in town pays that kinda $$$. Of the ~200 permanent jobs this facility has provided, at least 1/2 were local. They used local construction companies to help build it, set up a training program with the local Great Basin College to train the guards. Not to mention the thousands of $$$ this facility puts into the local community each month (supplies from WalMart or Home Depot, property taxes, etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02324.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM

One last thing before I'm done for the weekend Let's talk about newspapers....

Pahrump
"Pahrump Valley Times" published twice a week (Wednesday & Friday). Online editions available.
"The Mirror" published once a week (Thursday). Archive editions available online.

Tonopah
"Tonopah Times-Bonanza and Goldfield News" published once a week (Thursday). No online edition available.

Beatty
This one isn't exactly a newspaper....this one is more like 1 man's crazy view of the town. I've read a view versions & it's not a true representation of the town. "The Beatty News" published once a week (Friday). Online editions available.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Pahrump Valley Winery, located on Winery Rd. At one time this was the ONLY winery in the whole state of NV. Established in 1990. Their red "Nevada Ridge" is made from their very own grapes. Their vines have matured enough to start bottling other blends from their vines next year.

They have a tasting room, a restaurant (a little pricey, but delish!!), gift shop & lovely gardens. In the gift shop, you can even have a personalized label made to place on your favorite bottle of wine! Every September, they hold the grape stomp event - great fun & it attracts oodles of people. You can also have your wedding ceremony here & in the past, they have hosted prom
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-pvwinery.jpg   Nye County-pvwinery1.jpg   Nye County-pvwinery2.jpg   Nye County-pvwinery3.jpg  

Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Sanders Family Winery, located on Kellogg. This winery has been open for almost 2 years now, when I stopped in to get pictures I met the "bartender", who is the son of the owner. He shared with me that it was his father who started Pahrump Valley Winery waaay back when, then sold it & started his own winery.

The grounds appear a bit smaller than PV Winery, but are still gorgeous. They have a gift shop & tasting room. I have attended a few wedding ceremonies here, they have an Art & Sol fair in September (a collection of vendors/artists selling their goods) & they also have hosted prom.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-sanders-winery.jpg   Nye County-sanders-winery2.jpg  

Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM

This "mountain" is relatively small compared to the High Peak range it's connected to. I'm not sure what the true name of it is, but to me....it's the striped mountain on the northwest side of the valley. It's got some great hiking trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02326.jpg  

Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Ash Meadows is located in Amargosa Valley (pronounced am-r-go-sa). Amargosa is about ~45 north west of Pahrump & Ash Meadows is part way in between. If you plan to visit Ash Meadows, take Hwy 160 to Bell Vista Rd & follow that. ALL roads in Ash Meadows are dirt & they do go thru various washes, I would imagine during the winters the roads out there can be quite messy. Ash Meadows is FREE to visit.

Ash Meadows was created in the 1980s to protect the wildlife - some of them are only found here. Such as the pupfish. On one of the pix, I have circled a fish...this is a pupfish. I recommend going to the visitor center first, which is where the pix of the board walk & stream are taken. There are many trails to explore, it could take you a while to see everything.

The stream at the visitors center is crystal clear! It appears to be about knee deep? The pool at the end of the stream...I'm guessing is ~15ft deep? According to the sign next to the pool, the waters travel from the snowpack on Mt Charleston, thru an underground cave system & pop up here, at a temperature of 87 degrees. Because the water is so warm, the only thing that can survive in it is the pupfish.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02327.jpg   Nye County-dsc02328.jpg   Nye County-dsc02333.jpg   Nye County-dsc02334.jpg   Nye County-dsc02337.jpg  

Nye County-dsc02339.jpg   Nye County-dsc02340.jpg   Nye County-dsc02341.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada