Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 09:51 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have one of THESE and have had it for years.
The squirrels gave up on it long ago.
https://bromebirdcare.com/busterproducts/

Absolutely works!!

We tried so many other feeders for years. None worked. Brome does work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 09:54 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Fun to watch

Old 03-28-2024, 03:33 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,053,787 times
That Duncraft site is great! I'm going to order some of those plastic domes to try with my existing feeders before buying any of the more expensive feeders.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:11 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
I believe I have this one for years now - the Brome Squirrel Buster Plus. Squirrels and big birds are not a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxdKBGwpTM

Old 03-28-2024, 04:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,021,886 times
We have this, and it works perfectly. As someone else said, the deer can access the seed from below by pushing their noses into it, so we had to hang it so high I have to use a step ladder to access the feeder. Many squirrels have gotten on to the feeder, but they absolutely can not access the seed.

We're probably one of the very few people who actually LIKE squirrels, so we spread some seed on the ground for them. But we have so many they'd drain a bird feeder in one day. Too much.

https://birdschoice.com/products/squ...0aAgIlEALw_wcB

Old 03-29-2024, 06:48 AM

7,123 posts, read 4,843,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
https://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RT...sp?SKU=HF-7511

I have one of these. Squirrel goes on the ledge and it drops and closes the food hatches. Just make sure you lock the top down securely (it has a catch in back).
I had one of these. Works great, but my squirrels would not give up on trying to get in. They would stay on top of that thing constantly.

They were so persistent that my dog thought they lived inside of it, and every time he went out in the back yard he would bark like a madman and jump up trying to bite the feeder.

I finally took it down & gave it away. Now I feed safflower instead of sunflower, the squirrels don’t eat the safflower. So now I have a dove and sparrow problem. My god, they eat a LOT. And chase the pretty birds away.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:26 AM

45,467 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I had one of these. Works great, but my squirrels would not give up on trying to get in. They would stay on top of that thing constantly.

They were so persistent that my dog thought they lived inside of it, and every time he went out in the back yard he would bark like a madman and jump up trying to bite the feeder.

I finally took it down & gave it away. Now I feed safflower instead of sunflower, the squirrels don’t eat the safflower. So now I have a dove and sparrow problem. My god, they eat a LOT. And chase the pretty birds away.
I did the same with safflower. I don't notice a problem with sparrows. The doves don't bother many birds as they feed on the ground. I have a lot of various finches as well as cardinals hitting the feed. Starlings leave it alone.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:25 PM

7,123 posts, read 4,843,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I did the same with safflower. I don't notice a problem with sparrows. The doves don't bother many birds as they feed on the ground. I have a lot of various finches as well as cardinals hitting the feed. Starlings leave it alone.
The mourning doves feed on the ground, I’m ok with that. The white wing doves are horrible. They eat whatever they can reach!

Sparrows are just awful, they chase other birds and they will sit and eat.

I do have a hanging feeder and a flat dish that I fill. The ww doves will sit there and eat the entire plate if they don’t get disturbed.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:21 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,555,821 times
We've tried several but the squirrels seem to conquer them all. We've just given up and watch the squirrels with amusement. "Charlie" (which is any of the numerous squirrels in our yard) will hang upside down on the ledge while munching, then do a complete situp to get more. They're pretty entertaining, and the birds don't seem to mind them.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,021,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We've tried several but the squirrels seem to conquer them all. We've just given up and watch the squirrels with amusement. "Charlie" (which is any of the numerous squirrels in our yard) will hang upside down on the ledge while munching, then do a complete situp to get more. They're pretty entertaining, and the birds don't seem to mind them.
If you like squirrels, as we do, and don't care if they eat all your birdseed that's great! But seriously, if you want to keep squirrels from eating the birdseed in the feeder, this one is fool proof. Absolutely, 100%. They can't "hang upside down" and eat. They can't eat, at all. Posted this upthread.

https://birdschoice.com/products/squ...0aAgIlEALw_wcB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature