Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 01:14 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,651,397 times

Advertisements

I love how defenders of this move always claim that it's justified to end subsidies cause it's for English schools, yet are silent on how French Canadians from outside Quebec will pay 6x more than people from France, which will have a higher chance of leaving after graduating....

The contradictions are insane. No data to back up the pros of the CAQ's plan... blind faith towards an idiotic party and man.. we're already feeling consequences globally and locally, and some idiots think this is a victory? And they did this decision without proper studying or consultation, how "democratic"

It's like the Catholic Church in control again, except of religious faith, it's blind faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 02:37 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
I love how defenders of this move always claim that it's justified to end subsidies cause it's for English schools, yet are silent on how French Canadians from outside Quebec will pay 6x more than people from France, which will have a higher chance of leaving after graduating....

The contradictions are insane. No data to back up the pros of the CAQ's plan... blind faith towards an idiotic party and man.. we're already feeling consequences globally and locally, and some idiots think this is a victory? And they did this decision without proper studying or consultation, how "democratic"

It's like the Catholic Church in control again, except of religious faith, it's blind faith.
As much as some would like it be as simple as good guys wearing white cowboy hats and bad guys wearing black ones, things are a bit more complicated than that.

Yes, I would agree that it is not great for francophones from outside Quebec though there is accommodation for those who are studying in French in programs not offered in French in their home province. These students pay the in-Quebec reduced rate.

The reason reduced rate is not extended to Canadian francophones from outside Quebec for all programs (but available to students from France or Belgium) is because Quebec does not have a broad reciprocity agreement with other Canadian provinces, but does with those two countries.

What that means is that students from Quebec and France/Belgium pay the same fees as locals if they study in the other place. So a Quebec kid who studies in France pays almost no tuition because that's the local rate. This is a good deal for Quebec (and also a decent deal for France because Quebec fees are generally a lot lower than in the rest of North America).

It wouldn't be as advantageous for another Canadian province because they'd have all these students from Quebec paying the cheaper Quebec fees while in their university system where fees are generally 3-4-5-6 times more. That probably explains why Quebec doesn't have an agreement with Ontario, BC, etc.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:09 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It almost smacks of the British Raj, only surrounded by moose instead of elephants!

OK that was one hilarious line

Are you guys waiting for us on the plains of Abraham for round 2 LOL ?

As for the british rajs they left Quebec long ago , whats left of the original WASPs is the hoi-polloi and I bet they dont make up more than 1 or 2% of the total population , they are likely a rather small % even at McGill , are they really still a threat in Quebec?

Old 12-14-2023, 07:58 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Ah, just make McGill a private university that charges its own tuition like Harvard University and be done with the conversation. A top notch international institution like McGill ought not be so heavily government funded as say the University of Vermont or Michigan State University or even the University of Quebec system. That way, they can evade much of the language policy if they want, right?

Old 12-14-2023, 08:41 PM

544 posts, read 900,084 times
Quote:
We were almost all poor until the 1960s-1970s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Ah, just make McGill a private university that charges its own tuition like Harvard University and be done with the conversation. A top notch international institution like McGill ought not be so heavily government funded as say the University of Vermont or Michigan State University or even the University of Quebec system. That way, they can evade much of the language policy if they want, right?
Not a bad idea, however an $80K per year tuition bill would kill it faster than the xenophobic CAQ.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
OK that was one hilarious line
I know that deep down you actually love me!

Old 12-15-2023, 11:30 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Personally I think it’s fine to have a French test for a degree at McGill. I just question how strict it should be. The article I read said “level 5 proficiency” which sounds very high, but I could be wrong. Is it reasonable to expect a med student or law student could juggle studying this level of French on top of their heavy course load? I hope it’s a reasonable expectation, but I really don’t know.

Is it a choice the student can make? If you learn this level of French, you get a tuition rebate? That sounds like a nice incentive.

I just disagree with the whole concept that “French is THE language of Quebec”. It’s fine if it’s the official language or dominant language, but English has been one of the spoken languages in the province for 260 years. The “anglicization” myth is just that, a myth. Maybe compared to record lows in the mid 90s when people thought Quebec was going to leave Canada any day now, but compared to the 60s and 70s is notably and demonstrably more French and less English today.

Montreal should be like Brussels where either Dutch or French are ok to speak at work or school, but a large percentage of the population is bilingual and it’s highly unlikely you’ll grow up not knowing both languages. That’s something to aspire to, not this whole “attack English” agenda

Old 12-15-2023, 11:30 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,341 times
Quote:
I know that deep down you actually love me!
lets keep this quiet or I might get shunned by my peers all over the empire

aside from Quebec politics but especially those truly weird language laws our outlook on most other issues would mesh most of the time I believe

you do keep tabs on a variety of topics better than I do though

joyeux noel to you and yours

Old 01-08-2024, 08:27 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,957 times
I think it is insane that the Québec government is only just mandating some sort of French proficiency for a publicly funded university such as McGill.

I'm not partial to this policy because I speak French but it's common sense. I know people who attend medical school in Cuba and they have to take one year of intense Spanish classes to become proficient. Same with a friend who went to university in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal