Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 05:02 AM

60 posts, read 65,649 times

Advertisements

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/mo...es-tax-revenue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 07:22 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,122,670 times
Ahhhh….”god’s country!” heh heh

Old 03-22-2024, 04:42 AM

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/mo...ew-report-says

Old 03-27-2024, 07:07 PM

177 posts, read 129,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby B View Post

“So if you have $1 million in the top income bracket, you’re getting a tax cut on everyone of those $1 million, whereas if you have $40,000, you’re getting a tax cut on only $40,000,” Bender said.

I am no financial genius, but aren't both of those examples getting a cut on 100% of taxable income?

Old 03-27-2024, 10:22 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,470,454 times
When I first moved to Nevada the same thing happened, large tax increases with no justification or explanation. People got so angry that the legislature changed the way tax is collected and only raised property tax 3% a year. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens in Montana

Old 03-28-2024, 05:45 AM

This link was in that article too. https://montanabudget.org/report/the-great-tax-shift. I guess having no sales tax in the state causes increases elsewhere. Also there is no property tax assessment limit.

Last edited by Baby B; 03-28-2024 at 05:54 AM..

Old 03-28-2024, 06:20 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,217,587 times
Quote:
This link was in that article too. https://montanabudget.org/report/the-great-tax-shift. I guess having no sales tax in the state causes increases elsewhere. Also there is no property tax assessment limit.
That site is run by, uh, "community organizers" (radical leftists) and I note a great deal of "lying with statistics".

There are fewer wealthy people than middle class people. Naturally this can be skewed to say "wealthy people don't pay as much taxes"... if you only look at total numbers, not as percentage of income (then suddenly the taxes hard-shift to the wealthy).

===

There's a lot of this "If we call it [Issues] For Montana, people will believe us" going on. Last week I got a little newspaper in the mail that calls itself the "Montana Independent". It is neither. It came from Washington D.C. and is published by the outfit formerly known as ShareBlue, a Democrat fundraising organization.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:42 AM

19,912 posts, read 22,848,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
That site is run by, uh, "community organizers" (radical leftists) and I note a great deal of "lying with statistics".

There are fewer wealthy people than middle class people. Naturally this can be skewed to say "wealthy people don't pay as much taxes"... if you only look at total numbers, not as percentage of income (then suddenly the taxes hard-shift to the wealthy).

===

There's a lot of this "If we call it [Issues] For Montana, people will believe us" going on. Last week I got a little newspaper in the mail that calls itself the "Montana Independent". It is neither. It came from Washington D.C. and is published by the outfit formerly known as ShareBlue, a Democrat fundraising organization.
https://montana.servicenowservices.c...icle=KB0014487

Percentages do matter. For 2024- All ordinary income above $41,000 for Married Filing Joint (us) is 5.9%. Long term capital gains over $41,000 is 4.1%.

The articles source data is accurate regardless of their opinion.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:02 AM

https://www.ktvq.com/news/montana-ne...ors-properties

Old 04-15-2024, 09:11 AM

1,670 posts, read 4,386,646 times
Quote:
Sounds about right.

Here in the Flathead everyone's up in arms about the bills they just got from the County, which reflects the adjusted mill rate back up to 95 from 77 after the State Supreme Court intervened.

So much for the 'property tax relief' refund (pittance) that Gianforte was bragging about.

We got developers still bringing forward huge projects, throwing around the "we're going to help the housing inventory problem" carrot. It's B.S.

- Mick Ruis has purchased the old CFAC superfund site (over 2000 acres) and is on record as saying he wants to build 'affordable' 1800sq ft houses for $550K. EPA hasn't even completed cleanup, which could be over $1B if they have to remove material and truck it out of State. Something doesn't add up here.

Ruis has multiple projects going around here, is based out of CA, and there's been speculation on where he's getting all this money. Ties to Mexican cartels & money laundering has been heard through the rumor mill. I guess when I think about it, that makes sense given we have no borders right now and cartels operate freely all over America.

Going to be an 'interesting' public hearing whenever that happens!

- An out of State group wants to build a >1000ac 'luxury resort' in Lakeside

- Kalispell just approved a >300 unit development northwest of town despite very vocal opposition with legitimate concerns regarding impacts to schools, traffic, water supply, etc.

- The County planning board is revisiting another huge development in Somers next month ... this likely means they've already got plans to approve it despite nearly complete opposition.

Kalispell has a couple of severely contaminated wells serving parts of town ... their 'solution' right now is to 'blend' that water with cleaner water to reduce the PFAS contamination until a real solution is found. Isn't that comforting?

Meanwhile developers have been enjoying 50% off impact fees since 2020, while the rest of us get to deal with inflation at every turn. Amazed at how many people remain clueless to who the elected 'leaders' actually work for.

This place is the running joke that keeps on giving, and all this is really just to say - get used to higher property taxes as elected officials sell MT down the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana