Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 02:47 AM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 282,587 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I've already got a ton of towns in AL and only a few in Northern GA, but someone also recommended Mississippi for my rental budget of a 1-2 bedroom which is low at $400-500 and I was hoping to get a house, but I know I'll have to settle on an apartment which I really didn't want to do.

I didn't really see any threads about towns listed under this forum unless I missed them, so if you can list them for me please or maybe recommend other cities and states.

I care most about the following including where I will be living:
  • Good internet
  • No toxic manufacturing plants industrial farms, etc.
  • Small farms (I prefer Amish) where I can get non toxic veggies and clean beef with no hormones and drugs and harming the animals.
  • At least some stores within 20-30 minutes because I need to get a new mattress, desk, office chair and armchair.
  • I can get things from online easily shipped to me.
  • I need to buy a used car, so I need a selection of used cars and a good "honest" mechanic LOL who can test it out before I buy.

I appreciate any help. I REALLY want to move back home to the US, & haven't been able to for years.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 10:13 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
People imagine it is a lot cheaper to live in Mississippi than it actually is, so we get these kinds of questions from time to time.
I don't know of a single place in Mississippi that fits your criteria.

I have a brother in your situation. He left the US when he was about 50 to go to Panama and live on his sailboat. It all worked out well enough for some years, but now he is in his mid 70s with no way to come back. He has no assets to speak of, no vehicle, very little Social Security because he dropped out of the work force early, and no real connections in the US. He's stuck.

You may be young enough to just bite the bullet, move to the place of your choosing, and get some sort of a job that pays enough to make it all work out. I hope so.

Old 10-08-2023, 12:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Although the SE will likely have the lowest COL, there are also fewer safety social nets. The rest of the country will have more state and local programs to help poor folks, like easier access to Medicaid, food stamps, energy assistance programs, etc. Mississippi likely has fewer programs for poor people than any other state. Bottom line, Mississippi is a terrible place to be poor (although we have more poor folks than any other state).

Additionally, organic/all-natural food products cost more, have less availability and spoil quicker than other food products, plus you never know what is actually used in the production of those products.

Old 10-08-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
People imagine it is a lot cheaper to live in Mississippi than it actually is, so we get these kinds of questions from time to time.
I don't know of a single place in Mississippi that fits your criteria.

I have a brother in your situation. He left the US when he was about 50 to go to Panama and live on his sailboat. It all worked out well enough for some years, but now he is in his mid 70s with no way to come back. He has no assets to speak of, no vehicle, very little Social Security because he dropped out of the work force early, and no real connections in the US. He's stuck.

You may be young enough to just bite the bullet, move to the place of your choosing, and get some sort of a job that pays enough to make it all work out. I hope so.
I don't need a job, I work online. I just need the place.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2023, 06:11 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
I don't need a job, I work online. I just need the place.

Thanks
I knew that, having read your past posts.
The problem is, you are not making enough money.

Old 10-08-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I knew that, having read your past posts.
The problem is, you are not making enough money.
Right, & that's b/c I work for FREE full time fighting the evils in WWIII.

No one will be alive soon or have their own money or even food, so money doesn't mean much to me other than for me to cover the basics.

I'm not saying money is the only reason we are slaves, but it's one of the main reasons the evils have manipulated & controlled us & then the slaves do the same thing to their friends, family, etc. This has been going on for generations.

I care about HUMANITY & our Mother Earth.

I'm one of the few fighting even within the "awake" community, but if no one cares about that & they continue to support the evils by their actions, that speaks volumes & shows where their loyalty lies.

All the best

Old 10-09-2023, 08:07 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Mississippi is a very strange duck when it comes to rentals. Home prices and taxes are low, so most people own their homes. This means the rental stock is small, which results in rents being mostly on the high end. It's generally as cheap to buy as rent, assuming we're just comparing mortgages to rent prices.

I've moved a LOT over the years, and to me the two things that are much more important than rent prices are culture and weather. As a Southerner, I could never live up North, that would be my biggest nightmare, long, cold winters.

Culturally, I don't ever want to live outside the South again. Southern culture exists only in the South, and I much prefer it to California, Hawaii, the Southwest or Florida (the latter being a place that has lost its culture because its full of people from somewhere else). You want to live where you have something in common w/ the natives or you will not be happy.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:29 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
You want to live where you have something in common w/ the natives or you will not be happy.
I agree with this to some extent. There's lots of commentary throughout the forum with regard to "affordable housing", with the solution being to just move where the cost of living is cheaper. On paper that sounds great, what could possibly go wrong? I'm not intending to create racial strife here, but if I, for one, were to pack up and move to, say, Jackson MS, in search of "affordable housing" I probably wouldn't last more than a month due to not fitting in with the community. By not fitting in I'm referring to housing, business, employment, religion, cultural activities, shopping & services, etc. The rejection goes both ways, that's just human nature.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:16 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
The Jackson area suburbs are quite affordable (depending on what you consider affordable). The fastest-growing suburban zip codes are about 80% white (Madison, Reservoir, Brandon, Florence areas) and other suburbs vary (Pearl about 60%, Clinton 55%, Byram 20%).

If by affordable you mean the homes in west and south Jackson that are selling for $15,000 or $35,000, then those areas are falling apart and are losing about 4,000 residents per year (which will leave those areas of the city completely empty in 25 years).

From what I can see, in the parts of the metro that are safe and well managed, the low end for prices for ordinary houses is about $225,000. I saw a few houses that were like 1,100 square feet etc that were cheaper, and the occasional house that probably has never had any work done on it. These prices are actually quite a bit higher than just a few years ago.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Mississippi is a very strange duck when it comes to rentals. Home prices and taxes are low, so most people own their homes. This means the rental stock is small, which results in rents being mostly on the high end. It's generally as cheap to buy as rent, assuming we're just comparing mortgages to rent prices.

I've moved a LOT over the years, and to me the two things that are much more important than rent prices are culture and weather. As a Southerner, I could never live up North, that would be my biggest nightmare, long, cold winters.

Culturally, I don't ever want to live outside the South again. Southern culture exists only in the South, and I much prefer it to California, Hawaii, the Southwest or Florida (the latter being a place that has lost its culture because its full of people from somewhere else). You want to live where you have something in common w/ the natives or you will not be happy.
I understand & agree, but I just don't make enough to qualify for a mortgage, & getting a mortgage now has to be almost impossible, especially b/c the banks will be shutting everyone down soon.

As for culture, that's why I want to escape where I am. People disregard culture as being important & they are very very wrong.

That's why there's such a thing called "culture shock." There's nothing wrong with wanting to be with your own kind, whatever that kind happens to be. It's just they have brainwashed people into thinking you are bad if you feel that way. DON'T. You have a right to your feelings so long as you aren't harming anyone else. I have a great video on the topic, but I don't want to get a warning or whatever, so I won't post it.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of picking where I want to live due to the extreme cost of living now.

I just heard that in Vancouver BC, rooms are going for $1,200. People need to WAKE UP to the Truth about what is going on & fight BACK!!!

My legal guy just moved out of his 1 bedroom house he was renting for $800+ which is still too high, & they jacked up the rent to over $1,200 - SIGH

So far it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it back home. For the moment I can't even meet the $600/month that seems to be the min. price for a 1 or 2 bedroom, & I do not want to live in an apartment b/c they are so toxic for a myriad of reasons. I had forgotten about smart meters being forced on us until someone brought it up the other day. Trying to get that removed from an apartment building would be impossible. Same with deadly 5G mini towers where they pay them HUGE money to radiate everyone in the building by putting it on the roof.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I agree with this to some extent. There's lots of commentary throughout the forum with regard to "affordable housing", with the solution being to just move where the cost of living is cheaper. On paper that sounds great, what could possibly go wrong? I'm not intending to create racial strife here, but if I, for one, were to pack up and move to, say, Jackson MS, in search of "affordable housing" I probably wouldn't last more than a month due to not fitting in with the community. By not fitting in I'm referring to housing, business, employment, religion, cultural activities, shopping & services, etc. The rejection goes both ways, that's just human nature.
It is & I explained in more detail above why that is & you shouldn't be ashamed of your feelings. This PC BS was brainwashed on everyone in the US. So long as no one is harming anyone, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
The Jackson area suburbs are quite affordable (depending on what you consider affordable). The fastest-growing suburban zip codes are about 80% white (Madison, Reservoir, Brandon, Florence areas) and other suburbs vary (Pearl about 60%, Clinton 55%, Byram 20%).

If by affordable you mean the homes in west and south Jackson that are selling for $15,000 or $35,000, then those areas are falling apart and are losing about 4,000 residents per year (which will leave those areas of the city completely empty in 25 years).

From what I can see, in the parts of the metro that are safe and well managed, the low end for prices for ordinary houses is about $225,000. I saw a few houses that were like 1,100 square feet etc that were cheaper, and the occasional house that probably has never had any work done on it. These prices are actually quite a bit higher than just a few years ago.
I mentioned my budget in my thread & that I'm looking to rent, not buy. I wouldn't be able to handle a house falling apart with no real kitchen & mold all over the place.

I'll look into what you mentioned.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi