Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 07:58 AM

30,652 posts, read 19,354,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
We owned a home in Bisbee for 11 years and drove twice a year to Ajijic. 21 hours total. Always felt safe, but haven't driven that route since 2013. Others say they drive it often, still safe.

Houses have jumped in price there as they have pretty much worldwide. Though the cost to carry a house there is significantly less. My annual real estate taxes are equivalent of 400 USD; my annual water bill is equv. of 500 USD. My home insurance is 230 USD.

Here is link to MLS here. https://www.chapalamls.net/en/search Prices in Chapala are less than Ajijic; prices in Jocotopec (20 minute drive from Ajijic) are even less.

Food is much less even at restaurants. Most entrees run 150 to 250 pesos (but fancy spots much higher, MXN places much lower), wines still 50-50 pesos a pour. Here is link to restaurants in Ajijic https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...05-Ajijic.html

The exchange rate is bad now for Americans at 17:1, has been as high as 21:1 and mostly 20:1 for past several years. But when we bought our first home here, it was 10:1 so we feel anything above 15:1 is gravy.

Mexico living is NOT for everyone....there are as many minuses as pluses. But it suits us. We traveled all over MX by car from 2007 to 2014. Since then we fly around MX, all over on cheap MX airlines. GDL is really great airport with many destinations. We have flown from GDL to Madrid non-stop for far less (as in half) than flying from PHX to Madrid (and no nonstops).
Your lifestyle is close to what I would prefer but wife wouldn't go for retirement in Chapala or anywhere in Mexico. Now with 4 grandkids within 15 minutes of where we live, we aren't going anywhere.

Bisbee is interesting with a great year-round climate but a bit too small for my tastes. Tucson and Chapala sound pretty perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 08:07 AM

237 posts, read 125,372 times
Quote:

Mexico living is NOT for everyone....there are as many minuses as pluses. But it suits us. .
Could you give us a brief rundown of minuses and pluses? Thanks.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:53 AM

109 posts, read 137,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
Could you give us a brief rundown of minuses and pluses? Thanks.
CONS:
It's LOUD. Weekend parties, weddings, fiestas last well into the wee hours with lots of cohetes (firecrackers on steroids).

Mañana. Things don't happen quickly here. You wait for a contractor who doesn't show up and doesn't answer his phone. After living here so long we have contractors who stick to their schedules, or call if there's a delay. But stores and business and governments will not be open when their signs say that are, will not have what you ordered when they said it would be there.

Extrañero. You will always be an Extrañero (foreigner), no matter how long you live here. While MXNs are very friendly and we've developed MXN friends, you are still an Extrañero.

Corruption. Most noticeable with Police. From mordida (small bites, ie., bribes) during unnecessary traffic stops (esp. true if you drive a US car here), to actually robbing a house when called for assistance. I won't pay mordida, know enough Spanish to ask for the ticket and stand my ground until we shake hands and they leave. One of first rules here is, NEVER call the Police.

PROS:

Safety. I feel very safe here. I walk alone (female) after dark and no one bothers me. I know how to greet people on the street even borrachos (drunks). I have a good rep around town, I smile a lot, speak Spanish (still rather badly), shop at local tiendas, use local workers. I don't do drugs. I don't show off my wealth. Expats who pizz off locals are loudmouths (talk certain US politics, complain loudly about services here, don't greet people, won't speak Spanish.

Medical: If your younger than Medicare and your US premiums are high AND you are relatively healthy, it's still a bargain for health care, especially routine.

COL: While inflation and the exchange rate have caused a 25% drop in standard of living for those relying on USD for income, it remains cheap enough.

Friendly: MXNs are by nature friendly and happy. Because MX is generally 30 years behind the times, their family units are strong and here, rather conservative. When I go to a store and a younger person is in front of me, they will motion for me to go ahead of them (I'm 70 y/o). If I am loading groceries in my car, someone will come help (yes they expect a 5 peso tip, but will never ask for it).

Climate: Ours is great! Beaches have great winters, but too humid for me for 6 months of year.

This is not a complete list and probably varies from town to town in MX, though it's pretty accurate and we've been to at least 30 different cities within MX.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
CONS:
It's LOUD. Weekend parties, weddings, fiestas last well into the wee hours with lots of cohetes (firecrackers on steroids).

Mañana. Things don't happen quickly here. You wait for a contractor who doesn't show up and doesn't answer his phone. After living here so long we have contractors who stick to their schedules, or call if there's a delay. But stores and business and governments will not be open when their signs say that are, will not have what you ordered when they said it would be there.

Extrañero. You will always be an Extrañero (foreigner), no matter how long you live here. While MXNs are very friendly and we've developed MXN friends, you are still an Extrañero.

Corruption. Most noticeable with Police. From mordida (small bites, ie., bribes) during unnecessary traffic stops (esp. true if you drive a US car here), to actually robbing a house when called for assistance. I won't pay mordida, know enough Spanish to ask for the ticket and stand my ground until we shake hands and they leave. One of first rules here is, NEVER call the Police.

PROS:

Safety. I feel very safe here. I walk alone (female) after dark and no one bothers me. I know how to greet people on the street even borrachos (drunks). I have a good rep around town, I smile a lot, speak Spanish (still rather badly), shop at local tiendas, use local workers. I don't do drugs. I don't show off my wealth. Expats who pizz off locals are loudmouths (talk certain US politics, complain loudly about services here, don't greet people, won't speak Spanish.

Medical: If your younger than Medicare and your US premiums are high AND you are relatively healthy, it's still a bargain for health care, especially routine.

COL: While inflation and the exchange rate have caused a 25% drop in standard of living for those relying on USD for income, it remains cheap enough.

Friendly: MXNs are by nature friendly and happy. Because MX is generally 30 years behind the times, their family units are strong and here, rather conservative. When I go to a store and a younger person is in front of me, they will motion for me to go ahead of them (I'm 70 y/o). If I am loading groceries in my car, someone will come help (yes they expect a 5 peso tip, but will never ask for it).

Climate: Ours is great! Beaches have great winters, but too humid for me for 6 months of year.

This is not a complete list and probably varies from town to town in MX, though it's pretty accurate and we've been to at least 30 different cities within MX.

Interesting that the pros and cons you state match the pros and cons I experienced for 18 months working in Peru. Obviously Mexico's proximity makes it a much better option than Peru for Americans.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:48 PM

109 posts, read 137,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Interesting that the pros and cons you state match the pros and cons I experienced for 18 months working in Peru. Obviously Mexico's proximity makes it a much better option than Peru for Americans.
I didn't mention that your conservative family members and friends won't visit you in Mexico. Couldn't decide if more of a Plus or Minus.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:14 AM

277 posts, read 431,918 times
Quote:
I didn't mention that your conservative family members and friends won't visit you in Mexico. Couldn't decide if more of a Plus or Minus.
I’m alone. No worries about that. Thank you !

Old 01-06-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I’m open to other countries… doing online research. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
I’m open to other countries… doing online research. Thank you.
I did a lot of research but wife wasn't going for it. Right off the bat, I would recommend Mexico, Chile and Argentina as options.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I did a lot of research but wife wasn't going for it. Right off the bat, I would recommend Mexico, Chile and Argentina as options.
Thank you. Years ago when my husband was alive we really liked the idea of Chile. But we had two horses and three cats. Shortly after my two horses died and so did my husband so there I am with two cats

I’m tired I’ve never having enough money to fix my RV properly so I’d like to move to a nice quiet cool dry place where I can make my money go further and continue my digital art on the Internet and then I’d be happy as a pig in the dirt.

Thx

Old 01-07-2024, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
Thank you. Years ago when my husband was alive we really liked the idea of Chile. But we had two horses and three cats. Shortly after my two horses died and so did my husband so there I am with two cats

I’m tired I’ve never having enough money to fix my RV properly so I’d like to move to a nice quiet cool dry place where I can make my money go further and continue my digital art on the Internet and then I’d be happy as a pig in the dirt.

Thx
You seem to be in a tough spot financially, I think the original suggestion of Ensenada is a great one for your situation, basically the same climate as San Diego, close to the US border, and much less expensive than the USA.

Chile is a much safer country than Mexico statistically but it's a bit more expensive as well to live there and much further and difficult to travel to compared to Mexico. Plus I think more difficult than Mexico for emigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico