Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,600 times

Advertisements

I know of a doctor in D.F. He is from the US. He is quite popular. He runs his clinic in a pueblo. He is not employed by the government. Possibly has a clinic in the center of the city as well and he is black. He is either married to a Mexican woman or dating. So for those that say Mexicans are not receptive to blacks, I think this doctor would be an authority on friendships, relationships and business as a black in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Well I was supposed to go to Playa in September but long story short I ended up in Mexico City instead.

I must say I would love to go back. I'm a African American female and although yes, Mexico City seemed very homogeneous (did I spell that right? It's getting late....) I didn't notice a ton of stares or anything. I did get approached by people asking where in America I was from. One guy walked me around the city showing me where to visit the next day, what streets not to turn on, etc. A family approached me (the husband seemingly wanted to practice his English while the family seemed to just smile and nod). Overall the men were....well I don't know what word I should use to describe them. I got whistled at in the streets...I never experience that here in the US.

All in all I admit the people seemed warm/genuine like another poster stated. I dated a guy once here in Chicago that was born/raised there and he was the same way. Just overall a caring, genuine, friendly person. I'd been invited out 2-3 times by different people to hang out while I was there, 2 of them females, and they all also seemed genuine although I was alone and declined all invitations to go out with people. Really it was the people that make me want to go back for a longer trip one day.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM

6 posts, read 10,529 times
It's been my experience that in Mexico, most people have deep prejudices against not blacks in general, but Black Americans specifically. As an American, I find the acceptance of these prejudices highly disturbing. People say blatantly discriminatory and derogatory things in casual conversation.

I can't speak about how African Americans are treated here because there aren't any. All I know is that it's socially acceptable to talk crap about them.

However, one of my old teachers told me about an African American teacher with many years of teaching experience in the U.S. that could not an interview at any school in Mexico, yet she had all the credentials and expertise. The conclusion was that nobody would hire her because she's black - in Mexico, you need to attach your photo to your resume. Sad but true story.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 PM

231 posts, read 462,444 times
I'm black, in my 20's, and I visited Mexico City out of curiosity back in January for a week. I'd visited the country plenty of times to the Touristy beach towns (Playa del Carmen, Mazatlan, Tulum...) but thats like saying you went to the USA and only went to Las Vegas and Miami (i.e. those places have little to do with the rest country in general). That being said I decided to check out the capital. I did not experience any rude racism. Although I got some quick glances from people when I entered cafe's and resturaunts in high end neighborhoods. Admittedly if you grew up there, you probably can count on one hand how many black people you have ever seen so suddenly seeing one would catch you off guard.

They must have come across as American as they knew to switch to English when I'd get to the register. My Spanish is terrible, and since I was in a wealthy neighborhood the average person had pretty decent knowledge of English.

Conversely when I ventured into a poor neighborhood, I had to muster up Spanish to order anything.

In general, most folks were just curious and asked questions to know what brings me to the city, and in one case one older gentleman asked me what I liked about Mexican culture and went on to discuss the famous actors/actresses and singers that define classic Mexican culture of the 20th Century.

While I am sure there may be a bit of less than savory perceptions of blacks from the USA, I didnt run into much of anything that was off putting minus the language barrier.

Ive learned in most cases outside of the USA, perceptions exist mainly from not really having a frame of reference due to lack of experiences in interactions.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,828 times
I've visited Tijuana, Mexico City (twice), Cuernavaca, Acapulco, Merida and Tulum. I spent a month in Merida and am going back in January since I'm also an African-American female considering moving to Mexico for retirement. I have never encountered racism there, just sexism. The last time I was in Merida, I saw a black guy but he was speaking fluent Spanish and didn't acknowledge me and my then-husband, as African-Americans tend to do, so we assumed he was Cuban or something. Now that I'm split up from my hubby, who didn't want to retire to Mexico, I'm returning to Merida to see how it is for a single woman. The fact that I'm black is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned, but then I'm through with dating. As for the woman who didn't get a teaching job, those jobs are gained strictly through nepotism. If your relative was a teacher, you get a teaching job whether you're qualified or not. It's a big issue in the country, but again nothing to do with the race of the American applying for a job, in my opinion. Good luck with your retirement plans.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maegentry View Post
The last time I was in Merida, I saw a black guy but he was speaking fluent Spanish and didn't acknowledge me and my then-husband, as African-Americans tend to do, so we assumed he was Cuban or something.
Maybe, many cubans live in Merida, but he could be from Veracruz or Guerrero, many afromexicans are from there...

Old 01-12-2016, 05:01 PM

457 posts, read 645,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Pens View Post
\ The Mexican in Mexico is nothing like the americanized Mexican or Chicano. Racism is not as apparent in Mexico as is "classism".
This.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:06 PM

457 posts, read 645,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatroporcuatro View Post
However, one of my old teachers told me about an African American teacher with many years of teaching experience in the U.S. that could not an interview at any school in Mexico, yet she had all the credentials and expertise. The conclusion was that nobody would hire her because she's black - in Mexico, you need to attach your photo to your resume. Sad but true story.
That's not just Mexico. It's just about the ENTIRE WORLD outside of the US and Canada. The REST OF THE WORLD wants to see your picture first so they can throw the resume away and not even look at the rest of it. And resumes/C.Vs without pictures also will not be considered.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 AM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
That's not just Mexico. It's just about the ENTIRE WORLD outside of the US and Canada. The REST OF THE WORLD wants to see your picture first so they can throw the resume away and not even look at the rest of it. And resumes/C.Vs without pictures also will not be considered.
Sometimes they also ask you to put your age, marital status and other personal details!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maegentry View Post
I've visited Tijuana, Mexico City (twice), Cuernavaca, Acapulco, Merida and Tulum. I spent a month in Merida and am going back in January since I'm also an African-American female considering moving to Mexico for retirement. I have never encountered racism there, just sexism. The last time I was in Merida, I saw a black guy but he was speaking fluent Spanish and didn't acknowledge me and my then-husband, as African-Americans tend to do, so we assumed he was Cuban or something. Now that I'm split up from my hubby, who didn't want to retire to Mexico, I'm returning to Merida to see how it is for a single woman. The fact that I'm black is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned, but then I'm through with dating. As for the woman who didn't get a teaching job, those jobs are gained strictly through nepotism. If your relative was a teacher, you get a teaching job whether you're qualified or not. It's a big issue in the country, but again nothing to do with the race of the American applying for a job, in my opinion. Good luck with your retirement plans.

Considering visiting Merida in late April...did you move there yet? Any updates?

Is the weather as deadly-hot as I keep hearing...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico