Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

Is it realistic to think I can live on Maui making $44,000 a year? The job would be based in Kahului. I could commute if necessary from a different area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 07:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleLou View Post
Is it realistic to think I can live on Maui making $44,000 a year? The job would be based in Kahului. I could commute if necessary from a different area.
Plenty of people here live on less than that. It depends upon your required level of comfort. The biggest expense is housing but there are people who rent out rooms in their homes or even room-share.

Will you need a car or can you live near your job? We have bus service but it is somewhat sporadic.

When I moved here, I planned to stay a year then reassess. I am in my 8th year, currently, but I earn quite a bit more than your projected number.

Perhaps try it for a year?

Old 03-10-2022, 09:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleLou View Post
Well - I'd approach this as - what is your current salary and location - then we help if this will be really painful or not.

I can't imagine moving to Maui or just about anywhere for $44,000 - do you know what the price of a Mai Tai is?

Old 03-12-2022, 04:27 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
You can buy an old bus and live for $500 a month on Maui

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFB2iVldVc

I like the above advice, though. As Futuremauian wrote, people do live on Maui for less than that each year. But, to whtviper1's point, whether you can do so and whether you'll enjoy doing so are two different things. If you live on that salary now and are barely scraping by, you won't be any better off on Maui. And I'd wager the only way to make living on Maui on that salary work is if you have roommates or rent out a room, but only you'd know if this is an arrangement that you could live with.

Pro-tip. If you're doing research on average/median apartment rental prices online, make sure that whatever numbers you find don't include Molokai and Lanai, which are also part of Maui County and probably drive down the average/medians across the county . . . I've seen both of them included in some averages/median numbers.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:49 PM

It can't be that important of a move - since that one and done post - has not logged back in.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:02 PM

51 posts, read 41,975 times
Craig's List of rental's in the area -capped at 2K.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/sear...date=all+dates

Old 03-15-2022, 02:37 PM

One of the teachers I know here on Maui gave up his apartment last summer and now lives in a van full-time. He probably earns 60-70k per year but makes child-support payments. Fortunately, all but one of his kids are now adults.

It would be discouraging to be in your 50s and have nothing to show for decades of work but a van on which you are still making payments.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
One of the teachers I know here on Maui gave up his apartment last summer and now lives in a van full-time. He probably earns 60-70k per year but makes child-support payments. Fortunately, all but one of his kids are now adults.

It would be discouraging to be in your 50s and have nothing to show for decades of work but a van on which you are still making payments.
It seems a reach to me that a teacher making $60-$70K per year even with child support either could not get a court to lower the payment if living in a van or more likely approach of finding 3-4+ roommates or alternatively renting a room and I see plenty under $1K.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It seems a reach to me that a teacher making $60-$70K per year even with child support either could not get a court to lower the payment if living in a van or more likely approach of finding 3-4+ roommates or alternatively renting a room and I see plenty under $1K.
He obviously makes poor financial decisions, but he is not the only teacher I have known to live in a vehicle (here and California).

A couple of years ago, he asked me for a ride because he was out of gas, and wanted to borrow some money. I gave him a ride and loaned him $20. He said that he was going to go buy a big steak and a 6-pack with it.

How about buying some gas?

He eventually paid it back, but I discovered he owes money to many others.

LOL, a Ca. shop teacher I once knew, got a divorce, then quietly moved into his high school shop class for months until a silent alarm ratted him out.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
He obviously makes poor financial decisions, but he is not the only teacher I have known to live in a vehicle (here and California).

LOL, a Ca. shop teacher I once knew, got a divorce, then quietly moved into his high school shop class for months until a silent alarm ratted him out.
One is going to willingly live in a van - or shop class - just my opinion they probably shouldn't be teachers due to poor decision making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: