Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you downsize recently to an apartment or condo?
Condo 3 75.00%
Apartment 1 25.00%
Within MA 2 50.00%
Moving to save expenses 1 25.00%
Moving to be maintenance free. 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 07:44 PM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I may also start to take a deeper dive into considering S.Carolina (if I can find a suitable job there). What would you say are the biggest positives and negatives that stood out to you the most between S.Carolina vs here in MA when you first bought your property and started living down there for awhile? (whether it be traffic, people, weather, prices of certain things, etc.) Do you currently prefer one place over the other if you could only pick one?

One thing to be prepared for is the higher crime rates down south in general. This probably doesn't apply to areas like where Casey is, I'm more talking the cities. A higher proportion of "no good" areas and the crime tends to spill out to the suburbs more. A lot more "random" stuff going on, although it's unfortunately getting worse in MA as well and probably most other places. If you do move to let's say SC, it's vital that you do stick with the "nicer" areas ie. Mt. Pleasant or Summerville if you're in the Charleston area for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 08:34 PM

3,723 posts, read 1,919,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
One thing to be prepared for is the higher crime rates down south in general. This probably doesn't apply to areas like where Casey is, I'm more talking the cities. A higher proportion of "no good" areas and the crime tends to spill out to the suburbs more. A lot more "random" stuff going on, although it's unfortunately getting worse in MA as well and probably most other places. If you do move to let's say SC, it's vital that you do stick with the "nicer" areas ie. Mt. Pleasant or Summerville if you're in the Charleston area for example.
Geez...are there any good places left to live anymore? Crime spillover is getting worse everywhere I suppose, weather is getting more extreme, prices continue to rise...where's the good news?

Old 05-11-2024, 09:16 PM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times
Quote:
Geez...are there any good places left to live anymore? Crime spillover is getting worse everywhere I suppose, weather is getting more extreme, prices continue to rise...where's the good news?

There's still good places, unfortunately more and more of them are becoming "discovered" and command a higher and higher price. At least somebody like you who can work remotely and not be chained down by employment, has a few more options than the rest of us.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:08 AM

3,455 posts, read 1,588,036 times
You can go broke in a condo and you have less rights than in an apartment. if there are big projects every owner has to pitch in for the project. they always over bid on projects. my mothers condo had all new windows put in and the project cost 2 million. they over charged because that is the way construction works people over bid because one hand washes the other. she had to take a 50 thousand dollar loan out. now they are redoing the garage which might be a million. they re did her roof . my mothers condo is a money pit. sure in an apartment you might have high rent but at least you don't get surprises. some have moved out of my mother's condo because of too many projects and overcharging. there have been cases where condos ripped people off over millions. you do what they say . you have no rights!!

I rent an apartment and would never want to live in a condo . they have nothing better to do than police people.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:32 AM

16,096 posts, read 7,102,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
OP, keep in mind that if you rent an apartment, they can raise your rent.
True. But cost of maintaining a house goes up as well. Property taxes go up. Insurance goes up. If i love the place and location, i dont mind if rent goes up. What I would worry about is the quality of management if it changes.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
I hate HOA but I understand the maintenance part, I'd get a detached house in HOA community.
The location of these developments are not attractive. They are a bit remote, western MA, often located near the industrial areas, in towns that have very little municipal facilities, next to towns that have nothing going on. We love where we live for this reason, but it does not have nice apartments.
I see now many shopping centers are developing adjacent apartments. I am not sure how i feel about that, a parking lot full of cars.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
You can go broke in a condo and you have less rights than in an apartment. if there are big projects every owner has to pitch in for the project. they always over bid on projects. my mothers condo had all new windows put in and the project cost 2 million. they over charged because that is the way construction works people over bid because one hand washes the other. she had to take a 50 thousand dollar loan out. now they are redoing the garage which might be a million. they re did her roof . my mothers condo is a money pit. sure in an apartment you might have high rent but at least you don't get surprises. some have moved out of my mother's condo because of too many projects and overcharging. there have been cases where condos ripped people off over millions. you do what they say . you have no rights!!

I rent an apartment and would never want to live in a condo . they have nothing better to do than police people.
There are exactly my thoughts. A new condo can be shabbily built and it may not be easy to get the company to fix the problem, unlike a SFH. If it is 50+ condo you are limited by that market when you sell. It is easier to find a more suitable apartment, all you need to do is break your lease or plan carefully.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:09 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,139,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
True. But cost of maintaining a house goes up as well. Property taxes go up. Insurance goes up. If i love the place and location, i dont mind if rent goes up. What I would worry about is the quality of management if it changes.
This and the home sale proceeds can be invested to support the increases.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:45 PM

14,274 posts, read 14,812,421 times
Quote:
I may also start to take a deeper dive into considering S.Carolina (if I can find a suitable job there). What would you say are the biggest positives and negatives that stood out to you the most between S.Carolina vs here in MA when you first bought your property and started living down there for awhile? (whether it be traffic, people, weather, prices of certain things, etc.) Do you currently prefer one place over the other if you could only pick one?
I do not miss the MA winters and increasing COL. I do miss the seafood, Italian food, and Chinese food. Old times complain abut traffic here but coming from MA, it is sissy traffic.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:53 PM

14,274 posts, read 14,812,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

The associations dues should include Reserve Funds that can pay for needed repairs when they occur without a Special Assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts