Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 06:49 PM

841 posts, read 1,403,006 times

Advertisements

Former Mercer University President Kirby Godsey, who was the founding chairman of NewTown Macon, is expected to hold a groundbreaking for a major development along Riverside Drive, NewTown Macon CEO Josh Rogers told Business Improvement District, or BID, members at the last meeting.

Godsey renewed his option with the Urban Development Authority on what was billed in 2011 as a $50 million, mixed-use development anchored by an upscale tower hotel with a top floor restaurant.

The project, which included condominiums, office space and a public parking deck, stalled due to environmental concerns from the land’s prior use as a gas manufacturing plant. Residue was buried on the site.

UDA attorney Blake Sharpton recently reviewed the environmental covenants that no longer bar residential development on the majority of the site between the Burger King and Barks N’ Brews dog park.

“We are clear of the state (Environmental Protection Division) to proceed with development on that site,” Shelton told the authority in October.

The restriction on a portion of the property to not dig down 15 feet is “not going to be a huge problem,” Shelton said.

In December, the Macon-Bibb County Commission agreed to transfer nearly 2.5 acres at 815 Riverside Drive to the authority to market for the proposed development.

UDA executive director Alex Morrison told the authority that Burger King may also expand its nearby location. The restaurant owner purchased some of the land from Macon-Bibb County a few years ago after the condominium project stalled.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...5-f9eeb3831f9d

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...riverfront.jpg

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 12-21-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 10:39 PM

148 posts, read 149,998 times
I saw this today as well.. I can not wait to hear what’s being proposed at this site.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
I saw this today as well.. I can not wait to hear what’s being proposed at this site.
Yes, I was so excited to see this. I've been hoping for years this project would come back to life and I guess with all of stuff happening downtown and the site been cleaned up, it seems like the time is right to get things back cooking with this project. I can't wait as well for the official announcement and what's going to be apart of the development. I hope the tower still be part of this, I would love to see more towers/high rises built downtown.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:37 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,258,422 times
This is great. That lot is an amazing piece of property. I just hope there isn't a rush to develop it. Better to get it right than rush something to completion.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:31 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,534,686 times
I've been waiting on this revival for Years!
Macon and Columbus are on a roll this week.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I've been waiting on this revival for Years!
Macon and Columbus are on a roll this week.
I was super excited to see this, Like you I have been waiting and hoping for years they would bring this project back to life.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:11 AM

Is there any update for a timeline?

Old 01-19-2022, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Is there any update for a timeline?
According to Josh Rogers president of Newtown Macon said it would be annouced very soon but he did not give an actual date.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:20 AM

Anything moving yet?

Old 04-20-2022, 07:45 AM

194 posts, read 317,496 times
I hope this project really happens! Macon needs it. However, Macon will HAVE to address the homeless problem that is growing by the day. Most of the homeless are not local and there is a large "shanty town" of tents and trash all around the proposed site. Behind the Burger King and all along the RR tracks up to Rose Hill cemetery. The sheer number of homeless has quadrupled in the past 3-4 years.
If this deal falls through, it will be because of this problem and Macons inability to remedy it. This is not JUST a Macon problem but is all over the souths 1st and 2nd tier cities! If this issue is not corrected or at least addressed, I believe it will cripple local economies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon