Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 07:34 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Having not visited the region yet and only having the relative elevation data to reference, I guess my question is: is (North)East Tennessee not "up in the mountains"?
Many/ most of the towns and cities here in northeast TN are at an elevation around 1600-1700 ft, which IMO is enough to claim to be up in the mountains. From the list I posted earlier you can see there are towns that are even higher if you don't mind the the colder winters and smaller populations.

It's 9pm here in Bristol and the temp is a cool 69F, at 8am this morning it was 57F. Even during the hottest days in July and August the overnight lows are generally in the high sixties with an occasional foray into the very low seventies. Most summer mornings are mildly pleasant and quite different to the brutal slap in the face of early morning heat and humidity of Memphis, Houston, or anywhere along the Gulf Coast.

In general I consider it to be 'open window' weather from roughly mid March until about mid May and again from about early September until late October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 11:47 AM

33 posts, read 30,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Many/ most of the towns and cities here in northeast TN are at an elevation around 1600-1700 ft, which IMO is enough to claim to be up in the mountains. From the list I posted earlier you can see there are towns that are even higher if you don't mind the the colder winters and smaller populations.

It's 9pm here in Bristol and the temp is a cool 69F, at 8am this morning it was 57F. Even during the hottest days in July and August the overnight lows are generally in the high sixties with an occasional foray into the very low seventies. Most summer mornings are mildly pleasant and quite different to the brutal slap in the face of early morning heat and humidity of Memphis, Houston, or anywhere along the Gulf Coast.

In general I consider it to be 'open window' weather from roughly mid March until about mid May and again from about early September until late October.
Just to know... So in Bristol in that same time period, wat is the day time temps and how muggy is it?

Old 05-23-2023, 12:42 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
Just to know... So in Bristol in that same time period, wat is the day time temps and how muggy is it?
Right now it's 2pm with a temp of 75f and dew point of 53f, not at all muggy, yesterday at this time was 78f with a dew point of 47f, again not muggy. But a little over a week ago it was hotter than usual for this time of year, so it does vary.

Here is another good calculator that can be used to determine what temps and humidity are 'comfortable' for most people. Here in the tri-cities area we will generally be in the comfortable/ok range until mid to late June when it will start getting more uncomfortable in the late mornings and afternoons.
https://goodcalculators.com/dew-point-calculator/
IMO the early mornings stay comfortable all summer long, afternoons are sticky and icky for pretty much all of July and a part of August, but then that's coming from someone who spent years living on the Gulf Coast and in the unbearable mugginess of Memphis summers. YMMV.

Best suggestion is to use the calculators and compare to what you experience where you currently live.
Used in conjunction with weather history charts they can give you a pretty good idea of what to expect in a new location.
It's very difficult to convey a feeling of what the humidity and heat are like to newcomers without knowing the area that they are coming from, so the calculators can put it into more concrete terms with numbers.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:41 PM

374 posts, read 258,646 times
The humidity will still be a shock for those who are living in drier, cooler areas of the West. I will say that much.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:33 PM

33 posts, read 30,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's very difficult to convey a feeling of what the humidity and heat are like to newcomers without knowing the area that they are coming from
I'm in Mass, it's on the Right side of my info.
Yours says Yankee.. so I am guessing you are from up this way

Old 05-23-2023, 04:58 PM

374 posts, read 258,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
I'm in Mass, it's on the Right side of my info.
Yours says Yankee.. so I am guessing you are from up this way

Well, much of the population does have to endure a fair amount of humidity, no doubt.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:40 PM

240 posts, read 238,243 times
Quote:
It's very difficult to convey a feeling of what the humidity and heat are like to newcomers without knowing the area that they are coming from, so the calculators can put it into more concrete terms with numbers.
All of Idaho is going to be much dryer than anywhere in Tennessee the way I understand it, and I imagine I won't enjoy the experience. But the question I'll need to answer is whether I can tolerate that kind of climate for a few months in the year.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:02 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Having not visited the region yet and only having the relative elevation data to reference, I guess my question is: is (North)East Tennessee not "up in the mountains"?
No. To get any sort of appreciable cooling you'll need to be in the remote areas in the mountains. Most of Northeast TN is settled in large valleys between mountains or general flatland plains.

Remote mountain towns = Flag Pond, Roan Mountain, Shady Valley, Mountain City, Trade, Laurel Bloomery, etc.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:54 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
A big issue with northeast TN compared to western NC and even parts of western VA is that most of the higher elevation about 3000' or so where you will get appreciable cooling is parkland or otherwise under some sort of protection where you cannot live in or build on it.

Also, the towns jabogitlu listed have little to nothing in the way of amenities of services.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:53 PM

240 posts, read 238,243 times
It sounds like I will need to give Western North Carolina a more serious look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol