Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2023, 11:31 AM

169 posts, read 340,304 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just moved to Jonesborough (Sulphur Springs) yesterday! Unfortunately, on the drive here from another state my check engine light came on, which has never happened. I pulled off at the next exit as I still had 120 miles to drive, and went into an Autozone. They plugged their diagnostic tool and said I needed a certain part, which I bought and then had to drive to a mechanic shop. The man there said they had sold me the wrong part, although he didn't diagnose the problem as it was a busy Saturday in that shop. He told me I should be find to drive to my new rental and I made it, but I need to find a mechanic who can properly diagnose what caused the check engine light to go on a fix whatever the issue is.

Since I just arrived, I don't know anyone here yet to get some recommendations and also not be overcharged. I also don't want to risk driving as far as Bristol or Kingsport as I have already driven more than the amount you are supposed to when the check engine light comes on acc to the Internet, but I had to get here as my car was packed full and I needed to meet my landlord, etc.

So if you have any suggestions of good shops in Sulphur Springs, Gray, Jonesborough, or at farthest Johnson City I would really really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I use this place near Jonesborough, and I come from Bristol to do it! I've never had to have anything really major done, so can't speak to that. Other than the one time I took my daughter's beater in and they told me repairs would cost more than the car was worth, which to me speaks of their honesty. They have recommended this and that but there's no pressure, no scare tactics like some places like to use. Always busy, call to make an appointment.
https://www.americanandimportautorepair.com/

Old 03-26-2023, 08:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I’ve also used them and they’ve been great.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:16 AM

169 posts, read 340,304 times
Appreciate the recommendation.... am wondering why auto mechanics are not open on Saturdays here? I sent to look at American and Import and Auto Repair and noticed they are only open on weekdays which means taking off a day unpaid since I am a contractor and don't get paid time off

I was going to go to American Auto Repair anyway based on the recommendation, but they cannot fit me in for the whole week and I am not able to go anywhere and I need to. So I just looked online for other places and it seems like so far these places are not open on Saturdays, so I will be out the money for whatever is making the Check Engine light turn on AND a day without pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol