Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 07:27 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

My sister and nephew were visiting me last weekend, and mentioned Kingsport is getting a Chipotle restaurant, finally.

https://www.chipotle.com/

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/whos...ew-restaurant/

I was actually kind of surprised. And not only surprised that a Chipotle chain is coming to Kingsport, but the location of it is sort of has me scratching my head.

The location is right near a stretch of Stone Drive beside Hardees, and sort of in front of the now closed Tuesday Morning store, which sits in a shopping center built maybe in the 60s but has seen better days. (sidenote, my first job as a busboy in 1989 was in Mayflower Seafood restaurant in that shopping center! lol)

Usually, Chipotle restaurants locate in "newer built" areas of a city, or beside high trafficked interchanges. Granted, Stone Drive is heavily trafficked and retailed, but has seen better days, in general.

I would have thought it would've landed somewhere like near John B Dennis and I-26, or near the Target on East Stone Drive, even.

Anyway, I think it will be a good thing overall, and the restaurant will probably do extremely well. As it attracts a heavy gen x and millenial, and now gen Z crowd.

It is a "destination" fast food restaurant, and people will travel to go there. The closest Chipotle is either Bristol at the Pinnacle or Johnson City in front of the mall. Not to mention, folks from rural areas in remote southwest Virginia, southern WV, Hawkins and Hancock counties in TN and eastern Kentucky will travel to this location.

Is Kingsport finally showing signs of attracting "in restaurants" or "in retail" again? Is this a sign of the city starting a slow turn around? Or is Stone Drive still destined to cement itself as a destination for car washes, check cashing stores, and cheap retail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 09:27 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don’t think so.

It has been years since anything in Kingsport opened I’ll make a special trip for. Main St. Pizza was probably the most recent. We like Chop House and Riverfront Seafood, but those have been there for decades.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:46 AM

265 posts, read 510,212 times
I read Greeneville might be getting a Texas Roadhouse.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:41 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don’t think so.

It has been years since anything in Kingsport opened I’ll make a special trip for. Main St. Pizza was probably the most recent. We like Chop House and Riverfront Seafood, but those have been there for decades.
Yeah, Main Street Pizza is consistently good, as-is Chop House.

Too bad they closed Skoby's. That was the go-to nicer dining for the area.

As for Chipotle, I suppose the profitable business case is there for that location, and like Chik-fil-a, it's one of the "go to" restaurants for the under 25 set, or so.

Also, Kingsport's population is increasing, and faster than I think folks had thought it would. I think a lot of people are relocating to the region for retirement.

I read something (I'll try to find the link) that said Kingsport could easily hit 60k by 2030, or a bit more.

edit--here's the link. Actually if Kingsport grows the same 2020-2030 as it did 2010-2020, it will be at almost 64,000 for 2030. Wow!

https://www.timesnews.net/news/watch...668e10998.html

Old 09-21-2023, 07:55 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
I read Greeneville might be getting a Texas Roadhouse.
I read that and hope it works out. That has been a rumor in the past that did not come to fruition. I would think a chain like that would need a larger population. Not to mention there is one up the road in Johnson City 30ish minutes away. But they have also discussed opening a Panda Express, which would probably do well there.

I am surprised Kingsport is getting a Chipotle. Doesn't really seem to fit the demographics of their typical customer base.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:47 PM

265 posts, read 510,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I read that and hope it works out. That has been a rumor in the past that did not come to fruition. I would think a chain like that would need a larger population. Not to mention there is one up the road in Johnson City 30ish minutes away. But they have also discussed opening a Panda Express, which would probably do well there.

I am surprised Kingsport is getting a Chipotle. Doesn't really seem to fit the demographics of their typical customer base.
I hope they get the Texas Roadhouse. We only have one here in Columbia, Md. They have really good food and good prices. I know folks would come to eat here. Ours is always busy. We drive 25mins to go here.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:36 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I definitely think that if Greeneville can support an Aubrey's, which is a little bit finer dining and Greeneville is not necessarily the target market for that, it'll support a Texas Roadhouse just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol