Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times

Advertisements

I've fantasized periodically about moving there but then I read the drawbacks and it brings me back to reality.

Namely:

1) it's very expensive and there are very few decent jobs. You need to be independently wealthy, retired, or have an outside income source where you can work from home, such as an internet business of some sort.

2) haole discrimination especially hard if you have kids where they are the minority in schools and I've read from a lot of source a very bad meth problem among the young people

3) boredom and island fever. Probably why the meth problem which is a problem in many rural places on the mainland too. It may be one of the most gorgeous places on Earth but there are only 64,000 spread out across the whole island.

So for those that have vacationed and lived in or considered living in Kauai, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:00 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
the islands either feel like home to you or they don't. you deal with the rest like you would any place you live. it is either worth the struggle and the things you may encounter or it isn't. only you can say.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
Living in Kauai for me is basically working all the time to support myself. And then I go to the beach or go fishing.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I've fantasized periodically about moving there but then I read the drawbacks and it brings me back to reality.

Namely:

1) it's very expensive and there are very few decent jobs. You need to be independently wealthy, retired, or have an outside income source where you can work from home, such as an internet business of some sort.

2) haole discrimination especially hard if you have kids where they are the minority in schools and I've read from a lot of source a very bad meth problem among the young people

3) boredom and island fever. Probably why the meth problem which is a problem in many rural places on the mainland too. It may be one of the most gorgeous places on Earth but there are only 64,000 spread out across the whole island.

So for those that have vacationed and lived in or considered living in Kauai, what are your thoughts?
Read this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ransplant.html

Old 02-23-2021, 12:31 PM

252 posts, read 422,402 times
We visited Kauai, actually for 13 years....and then made the big move across the pond.

We lived on Kauai Island full time for nearly 10 years. We had zero problems with island fever, and melded in with the island and the people. Yes, kauai is expensive, but so is living in the beach cities here in orange county.

We brought our own aloha, and respect, and were quite active . We did not okole sit. And when we moved over from
Huntington Beach for me, and Seal Beach , So Cal. for Erica, we sold, gave away, or trashed most of our mainland stuff, and started out brand new on Kauai.

We also volunteered for beach and river clean ups, and were Sierra Club Hike leaders. We also joined surf rider and Malama Mahaulepu. We also joined the Kauai Athletic Club and were serious about working out and staying fit. We found the best shore entry snorkel beach on the south shore, and even had a semi secret place to bbq, and have a small quiet
beach within a few steps.

The gym was great, and we met many wonderful friends there. Also, I , tho I was retired from flying and sailing professionally, I had a job within 3 days , working at Brenneickes Beach Center, Poipu Beach. Over the years, I also worked at the Lawai Beach Resort, selling activities, three days a week. But the best was my last, before total retirement, working at the Kauai Athletic Club.

We also found the best happy hours, for food and drink, and were out and about on Sat Night ( date nights, Island wide ).
There are many very special and wonderful places to go out to, and we like to have a dining experience, and relate to the
staff and patrons . We shopped at Costco, some of the grocery markets, and the sunshine markets for produce. We also bbq'd many nights at home. We kept live easy.

We also were busy , as visitors and as residents going on fun activities, as well as the free nature oriented adventures.
The paid activities slowed quite bit after moving over, but we still treated ourselves once in a while and had great times.

We had zero contact with drugs, period, end of that problem. Most of the people we associated with were fit, working, fun, and we shared respect, and aloha, and still do.

We now live back on the mainland, in Dana Point, Ca. and it is pretty much the same life style as Kauai and other beach towns. We brought our aloha back to the mainland, melded right back in. We can walk to the Beach, or down to Dana Point Harbor, 9 sailing, stand up paddle boarding, fishing, and catalina trips. Also d there a loads of trails to explore county wide. Fabulous places to go for dinners and drinks, and we meet and associate with fun , positive people.

Whoa...you say....if Kauai is sooooo fabulous , why are you back on the mainland ?

Well, we had a great landlord, and leased one of his condos at Banyan Harbor Resort. We were across the road from
Kalapaki Beach, and the Lihue Marriot and also an easy walk to fun places to feast and socialize. We were busy with some of the things that I mentioned above.

Our problem loomed up, when our wonderful owner, decided to liquidated his three units in Banyan Harbor and move to the Big Island. We were unable to find a new place that suited us, with a good owner, and nice area, and yet within our retirement budget.

Oh, we tried, and each time, it was disappointment, after disappointment, etc, etc.
I was heart broken, we had to leave the island that we loved and the people that we loved. Oh, and Richard our owner, over all those years, never raised our rent, and when left, he bought most of our furnishings, no hassel and returned
100% of our original deposit.

That is our Kauai, and the island and the people remain in our hearts to this day, Five years now in Dana Point, But . yahoo, we are heading back to kauai for a visit in September....30 days at Poipu Kai Resort ( reserved ).

Strongly suggest a Kauai fun, exploring, recon visit, and learn the different areas, shores, beaches, and other local amenities and what feels good to you. North Shore is Tahiti beautiful....and of course gets more rain. South Shore is sunny, and more centrally located to get out and explore the rest of the island.

You might want to order.....THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK...by Andrew Doughty .....absolute best help not only for moving over, but you will constantly refer to it once you are a resident.

The above is only a small part of our life both visiting Kauai and as residents for 10 years.

Me ke aloha pumehana

( Aloha with love and fondness )

E komo mai, kauai.

Denny and Erica

Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM

80 posts, read 88,481 times
OP nailed it. It's pretty much the same across the State. Living here is very different than visiting. Visiting is amazing. But you either have few good paying jobs, arrive with money or get lots of help from family, multi-gen living, etc. Racial tensions certainly exist, but most people are decent enough and you get what you give, but kids can be brutal. As for island fever, in the end it's an island with a small population. Excitement can fade, novelty wears off and it's not necessarily a perpetual vacation. It's just another place with it's own set of problems and limitations. Plenty transplants don't last and even locals are fleeing for the mainland.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:09 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
We visited Kauai, actually for 13 years....and then made the big move across the pond.

We lived on Kauai Island full time for nearly 10 years. We had zero problems with island fever, and melded in with the island and the people. Yes, kauai is expensive, but so is living in the beach cities here in orange county.

We brought our own aloha, and respect, and were quite active . We did not okole sit. And when we moved over from
Huntington Beach for me, and Seal Beach , So Cal. for Erica, we sold, gave away, or trashed most of our mainland stuff, and started out brand new on Kauai.

We also volunteered for beach and river clean ups, and were Sierra Club Hike leaders. We also joined surf rider and Malama Mahaulepu. We also joined the Kauai Athletic Club and were serious about working out and staying fit. We found the best shore entry snorkel beach on the south shore, and even had a semi secret place to bbq, and have a small quiet
beach within a few steps.

The gym was great, and we met many wonderful friends there. Also, I , tho I was retired from flying and sailing professionally, I had a job within 3 days , working at Brenneickes Beach Center, Poipu Beach. Over the years, I also worked at the Lawai Beach Resort, selling activities, three days a week. But the best was my last, before total retirement, working at the Kauai Athletic Club.

We also found the best happy hours, for food and drink, and were out and about on Sat Night ( date nights, Island wide ).
There are many very special and wonderful places to go out to, and we like to have a dining experience, and relate to the
staff and patrons . We shopped at Costco, some of the grocery markets, and the sunshine markets for produce. We also bbq'd many nights at home. We kept live easy.

We also were busy , as visitors and as residents going on fun activities, as well as the free nature oriented adventures.
The paid activities slowed quite bit after moving over, but we still treated ourselves once in a while and had great times.

We had zero contact with drugs, period, end of that problem. Most of the people we associated with were fit, working, fun, and we shared respect, and aloha, and still do.

We now live back on the mainland, in Dana Point, Ca. and it is pretty much the same life style as Kauai and other beach towns. We brought our aloha back to the mainland, melded right back in. We can walk to the Beach, or down to Dana Point Harbor, 9 sailing, stand up paddle boarding, fishing, and catalina trips. Also d there a loads of trails to explore county wide. Fabulous places to go for dinners and drinks, and we meet and associate with fun , positive people.

Whoa...you say....if Kauai is sooooo fabulous , why are you back on the mainland ?

Well, we had a great landlord, and leased one of his condos at Banyan Harbor Resort. We were across the road from
Kalapaki Beach, and the Lihue Marriot and also an easy walk to fun places to feast and socialize. We were busy with some of the things that I mentioned above.

Our problem loomed up, when our wonderful owner, decided to liquidated his three units in Banyan Harbor and move to the Big Island. We were unable to find a new place that suited us, with a good owner, and nice area, and yet within our retirement budget.

Oh, we tried, and each time, it was disappointment, after disappointment, etc, etc.
I was heart broken, we had to leave the island that we loved and the people that we loved. Oh, and Richard our owner, over all those years, never raised our rent, and when left, he bought most of our furnishings, no hassel and returned
100% of our original deposit.

That is our Kauai, and the island and the people remain in our hearts to this day, Five years now in Dana Point, But . yahoo, we are heading back to kauai for a visit in September....30 days at Poipu Kai Resort ( reserved ).

Strongly suggest a Kauai fun, exploring, recon visit, and learn the different areas, shores, beaches, and other local amenities and what feels good to you. North Shore is Tahiti beautiful....and of course gets more rain. South Shore is sunny, and more centrally located to get out and explore the rest of the island.

You might want to order.....THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK...by Andrew Doughty .....absolute best help not only for moving over, but you will constantly refer to it once you are a resident.

The above is only a small part of our life both visiting Kauai and as residents for 10 years.

Me ke aloha pumehana

( Aloha with love and fondness )

E komo mai, kauai.

Denny and Erica
I loved your story!!

Old 03-02-2021, 03:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
In a change of mind - Kauai to allow visitors with negative test beginning April 5

Old 03-04-2021, 03:06 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,003 times
Slower pace. If you think Oahu is do nothing. Kaua'i is worse. It is borderline do nothing, then empty. No people around. But at least you'll be enjoying yourself. Why? Because who cares about crowds. That is the vacation you are looking for. Kaua'i is this. You pay for doing nothing. But it may be worth it to you.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:10 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Is there a reason people are responding to a 12 year old post? Not sure why Dooley reopened it. The OP's "kids" would be in graduate school by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai