Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,316 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Alaska to Kaua'i. Does anyone have any job seeking advice to offer? How about ideas on unusual work / live situations. I love nature and animals and the ocean of course. I am willing to live off the grid. Maybe a caretaker job on a remote property or farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM

252 posts, read 423,044 times
Hmmm...

Intersting, I like your energy to have a quest for life and nature.

If you like being out in nature, how about crew with Capt. Andy or Holo Holo or Blue Dolphin on one of their large 50
ft. catamarans, day sail cruises along the amazingly beautiful Napali Coast. They are about 5.5 hours in duration, and you could also help out with getting the guests kitted up for snorkeling. This is not hard work, and maybe rewarding in making sure everyone is safe, having fun, interacting with the passengers and fellow crew and skipper.

Hauling up the sails, handling mooring pickups, helping out docking, and loading and unloading passengers. Usually about a max of 40, give or take a few depending on the day. Might bring drinks out to the passengers as well. ( After snorkeling, they have a huge lunch on board, and the bar is open. )

The other idea is an enforcement officer or other job with the DLNR, protecting and all that is required to keep the state wilderness areas in good shape, rescue visitors, and make sue they have their camping and hiking permits.

Work as a tour guide for Aloha Kauai Tours, and you can look up the really great tours that they have island wide. Out in the wilderness, along the beaches, snorkeling and swimming at Lawaii Beach. They have four wheeled , air conditioned vans, and are fun and knowledgeable, personable people. They have a great time with the few folks on their tours.

Zip lining companies. Another outdoor fun activity in the wilds. Usually a combo of ziplining, hiking, swimming and outdoor lunch, and act as guides out in the forests and jungles.

No idea of how old you are , or your work work ethic, but if you are personable, positive smart , dependable and like natural beauty, kauai can be a great place for you. Those are the kind of people that the companies want to hire.

Do not know much about care takers or remote farms. We are people to people adventure types, and are quite active.

Visited kauai for 12 years, and then ived on island for nearly 10 years full time as residents. Loved it. Loved the the island and the people and interacted with the natural beauty that was all around us. Volunteered to give back to the island, as Sierra Club Hike Leaders, and also volunteered for beach, river and harbor clean ups, and joined Malama Maha'ulepu, Surf Rider, etc.

Also, depending on what you elect to do, should be able to meet new friends thru your job, and they are all upbeat and friendly.

Most of the jobs are associated with nature and the visitor industry. Wide range to pick from . You can check out some of the different types of activities on the computer, and see what you might like. And, also what you wish to put forth as an employee.

There may be some sitting on your okole, mauka deep in in the back woods, watching a hale and sipping on some Okolehau, but I am not familiar with them. Also, not familiar with sentry style taking care of a Pakalolo farm. They may be there, but we personally have no clue.

There are a couple of ideas, and believe you are going to enjoy Beautiful Kauai. Perfect for those who live nature, land, river and ocean style .

Good on ya !

Old 04-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the great tips. Yes, I am finding a lot of jobs online. There is certainly no shortage of jobs for those that want to work. I am 56 years old, so that rules out a few ideas but not many. I would love to get a job with the DLNR but those are usually impossible to get, worth trying though! Some of the better jobs involve on-island interviews which I totally understand, so it may be a matter of just going and applying once there. Any ideas on super cheap areas to live. (ha, ha right) Maybe i will initially live in a van by the river (sat. night live skit). I am liking the idea of the west side, less people, more wilderness. fewer jobs i imagine. OK, thanks for the great ideas, maybe i will see you on the trails!

Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There's probably a pile of Alaskan snowbirds there, can you network with them and see if they have any leads? A lot of jobs, housing, used cars, etc., etc. are all passed around by the coconut wireless so asking folks who - even if they don't know you personally are at least a fellow Alaskan, can be really helpful.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Good idea, I am networking on facebook and sites like this and trip advisor. Not really sure how to find specific folks from Alaska on Kauai but I sure would like to talk with them. Facebook works pretty good to make new friends in new places though.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM

252 posts, read 423,044 times
Alaska

There is a hostel up in Kapa'a that should be pretty reasonable.

Also, some people have an Ohana on their property. A small room with facilities, and bedroom, that might be what you could use. But I have no idea on how find them, other than the coconut telegraph and talking to people.

If you are camping out , you will need a camping permit, and then once a week the authorities come by, and you should not be there on that particular day.

Some places that we have seen and liked for camping out, or a van, you can check on.

Anini Beach, up on the north shore. Beautiful beach and lagoon surrounded by a reef. Trees, bbq's, and comfort station for restroom and showers. No mega hotels in sight, and a perfect spot.

Also, on the south end of LYDGATE PARK, is a large camping area, and a comfort station near by. Plus BBQs. On the north end of Lydgate there is a large expanse of grass, pavillions, restrooms, and lagoons for swimming and snorkeling. Not really safe to swim in the ocean here, but the lagoons are really very nice.

Haena Beach Park, up on the north shore is also another idea. We have not spent much time there but people are camping out. Families and singles .

Those are a couple of ideas, that you can check into. You might pick up the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book, on the computer,
issue number 9, I believe is the latest. Aboslutely the best guide book, full color, written by a resident of Kauai, who we have met. Neat guy who hikes the trails, and goes on the activities, and to the restaurants, and gives great amounts of local knowledge. Advise to order one right now, and begin learning about kauai. Even has phone numbers and addresses for permits . We will be picking up a copy at COSTCO when we visit this june, even tho we know a lot about kauai. When we lived on island, we had one in the glove box of the car, and one at the computer desk. Great maps and mile markers on the maps that correspond to the mile markers posted on the roads.

Kauai is not a cheap place to live, and we recommend arriving with some back up bucks, open a bank account, we liked American Savings at Kukui Grove, on Nawiliwili Road in Lihue.

A safeway card to get better prices is a good plan as well for cooking meals on your own. We kept it simple, main healthy entre, and a salad or vegies for dinner. Eating out at restaurants is going to be expensive, but there are places that are reasonable. Da Crack for Mexican food in poipu...wedged between businesses in the small shopping strip mall on poipu road, next to Outfitters Kauai. ( on poipu road near the round about ). Oh, you could check with Outfitters ...neat company, all kinds of adventure activities.

We also shopped at COSTCO and the Sunshine Markets ( farmers markets they have island wide )

Well, gotta git, Erica has dinner about ready....( Get the UKG ( Ultimate kauai guide book...invaluable help )

Hope some of these ideas will help you out.

Oh, Erica says to check on Craigs list for an ohana.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM

kauaidooley
Thanks for the excellent tips. Per your advice, i just ordered the new 10th ed. of the Ultimate guide book on amazon. can't wait to memorize it! Now I am off to do more research on the island and the locations you mentioned. thanks again for the tips

Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 10,903 times
LinkdIn had a few jobs suited for you, including the 3,000 acre ranch farm outside of Lihue....if you aren't vegan/vegetarian.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
The OP only posted four times about a year ago, we never did hear what happened to his job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai