Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:42 PM

116 posts, read 63,629 times

Advertisements

Turco is pretty quick on the keyboard!
Here's what I was typing:
- With WiFi disconnecting, it would seem to point to the router. (I have a router currently hooked up - no internet connection - that I use for an internal network for testing, etc. All of my devices stay connected to the WiFi connection it has unless I turn it off). You could test this by unplugging the Ethernet cable that plugs into the WAN / LAN Ethernet port on the router - hopefully similar to the one shown here: https://ziplyfiber.com/~/media/resid...uter-setup.pdf
You may need to wait a couple of minutes to see what it does. Just make sure to plug it back into the same port it came out of afterwards.
- The next time it happens, look at / take pictures of all of the lights on the router to see which are on / off. Also take pictures when everything is functioning to have an A / B comparison between the two.
- If by any chance the router was replaced but they didn't use a new power supply (used the old one), the power supply could be faulty and causing the unit the shut off / reboot.
- Where does the power supply for the router plug in? Directly into the wall, power strip, etc? Are there any other outlets available?
- How long does the disconnect last? And related to that, how quickly does Ziply answer when you call them? Thought being that if the connection is dropped and you call them while it is happening they should be able to verify that they can or cannot see their equipment through diagnostic tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 03:47 PM

1,918 posts, read 881,775 times
mine does it two, about forty times an hour, its usually when I click on something. its like the router moden can keep up so it just says, ok, i quit

Old 04-09-2024, 09:28 PM

8,382 posts, read 13,540,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
mine does it two, about forty times an hour, its usually when I click on something. its like the router moden can keep up so it just says, ok, i quit
What do you think the router is not able to keep up with? That doesn't make much sense to me.
Clearly your router is either faulty or has issues with your ISP's network (router configuration or compatibility with the ISP's infrastructure).

Old 04-11-2024, 07:22 AM

6,599 posts, read 11,345,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Okay, I lost internet connection on my PC. I took a look at my cell phone and it lost connection to the wifi. So, I'm losing internet connection on all devices.
The other devices (phone, etc) lost connection to the wifi? Or it just can't get out to the internet?

If it lost the wifi network, then you router essentially went down. Which would likely be the issue (assuming your router is the wifi access point).

If these devices are still connected to the wifi network, but just can't get out, then the issue can still be the demarc/ISP.

If it's an intermittent thing, maybe something is just causing your router to reboot. So for those 2-3 minutes it's rebooting, that wifi will be down...?

Old 04-13-2024, 07:24 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,969,781 times
I had the same issue for months last Fall, then it stopped happening, so I blsmed the crews installing new fiber-optic customer lines in the neighborhood. It affected our CAT5 connected desktop PC almost exclusively, sometimes the wireless connected Smart TV.

After 2 or 3 months of no issues it started again, worse this time as our wireless laptop and my cell phone internet connection would fail. Actually, I think these also failed during the earlier problems but these devices would auto-connect without need for a router re-boot the desktop PC required. This time they also required a re-boot of the router. And the drop-outs were happening at far greater frequency.

So.....I installed a new router and the problems immediately ceased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet