Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 06:18 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
Cool yea I'll have to check it out more.

From my time in Louisville it kind of seems like a poor mans nashville in some parts. I mean it as a compliment though since nashville is one of my favorite cities in the US.

I think it is nice that Louisville and Cincy are on rivers.
Uh, ever seen the White River? Sure, it's not a behemoth like the Ohio, but it IS a river and it does run right through the downtown area...

RM

Old 01-26-2024, 08:37 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
OP, I don't know much about Indy, but here is what I do know. If you just moved to the area recently, you might need to give it more time. Find some clubs or activities you enjoy in the area. Go out and do them/join them. Have some fun.

A commute to Louisville, I am not sure how far that is, but I did see a post that it is 1.5 to 2 hours? That is quite far. From experience, a commute like that will get really old, really fast. Especially that you would take up to 4 hours of your day just going to and from work. Also consider when bad weather strikes, it will take you even longer. You will be paying a lot more in commute costs. You have to ask yourself if that really is worth it.

Ultimately if Indy is not the place, when your lease is up, move.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:38 AM

99 posts, read 57,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Based on what you've said about Indy, you certainly would not like Carmel. Downtown Carmel can be lively during the day but pretty quiet at night with the possible exception of when the have events on the screen at the midtown plaza by Sun King. If Broad Ripple isn't lively enough for you, downtown Carmel would not be what you want.
I think BR is nice, it is just a relatively small neighborhood

I went back and forth between DT and BR and ultimately chose DT. IN some ways BR was nice but I couldn't find a unit in the village big enough for me and my golden that wasn't super expensive, and it seemed like DT was a larger area w/some free rent on the buildings I was considering.

Last edited by baller1234; 01-26-2024 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-26-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Uh, ever seen the White River? Sure, it's not a behemoth like the Ohio, but it IS a river and it does run right through the downtown area...

RM
I've seen it in BR not not downtown-I haven't been to that river area by IUPUI yet

Old 01-26-2024, 10:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I always wonder about people longing to live near "lively" streets or pedestrian malls featuring shops, bars, and restaurants. Are you REALLY going to spend every evening and weekend day walking up and down that street, shopping at those specialty stores, eating out, and drinking? Probably not! I live within walking distance of one and NEVER go there.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I always wonder about people longing to live near "lively" streets or pedestrian malls featuring shops, bars, and restaurants. Are you REALLY going to spend every evening and weekend day walking up and down that street, shopping at those specialty stores, eating out, and drinking? Probably not! I live within walking distance of one and NEVER go there.
I you have a dog, will inevitably spend a decent amount of time out walking around. It is depressing if there is just no one

Old 01-26-2024, 11:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
I you have a dog, will inevitably spend a decent amount of time out walking around. It is depressing if there is just no one
I would think a park would be a more appropriate place to walk a dog (no pedestrians out on the town want to walk through dog poop). Louisville and Cincinnati both have nice park systems, but I'm sure Indianapolis does, too?

Old 01-26-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I would think a park would be a more appropriate place to walk a dog (no pedestrians out on the town want to walk through dog poop). Louisville and Cincinnati both have nice park systems, but I'm sure Indianapolis does, too?
Just lol at this-as if people aren't allowed to go out and walk their dog-thats why people carry around bags.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
There is something to be said about just being in a vibrant area, even if you are not always partaking of the businesses in the area. I do think this is a fair criticism of large swaths of Indy. Outside of BR (and to a degree SoBro), Mass Ave, and Fountain Square, there are not a lot of just vibrant walkable areas a la Clark St in Chicago or Oakley in Cincinnati. Irvington is nice, but I'd say it is a step down and more family oriented (which works for me but not everyone).

If you walk on Mass Ave on a nice Saturday afternoon, it is just buzzing. There are people out walking, it just *feels* like you're in a big city. I may not visit every, or any, business on that day but walking/biking the area you just know you're in a vibrant area.

Some people don't care about that, but I do. I do think the lack of those areas in Indy is a valid concern. I don't, however, think Louisville or Cincy are overwhelming kicking Indy's butt in that regard.

All three are great though, I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing one over the other.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There is something to be said about just being in a vibrant area, even if you are not always partaking of the businesses in the area. I do think this is a fair criticism of large swaths of Indy. Outside of BR (and to a degree SoBro), Mass Ave, and Fountain Square, there are not a lot of just vibrant walkable areas a la Clark St in Chicago or Oakley in Cincinnati. Irvington is nice, but I'd say it is a step down and more family oriented (which works for me but not everyone).

If you walk on Mass Ave on a nice Saturday afternoon, it is just buzzing. There are people out walking, it just *feels* like you're in a big city. I may not visit every, or any, business on that day but walking/biking the area you just know you're in a vibrant area.

Some people don't care about that, but I do. I do think the lack of those areas in Indy is a valid concern. I don't, however, think Louisville or Cincy are overwhelming kicking Indy's butt in that regard.

All three are great though, I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing one over the other.
Yea I can't imagine wanting to live in some boring suburb of any city, period, but it depend son the person and where you are in life. The sentiments I expressed about Indy are similar to what a lot of CD posters have said in old "Indy vs. XX" threads I was reading through last night, so I don't feel I am incorrect, but the poster from Louisiana is also probably correct in that I could give it more of a chance

I hadn't heard of Irvington until last night

Last edited by baller1234; 01-26-2024 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis