Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 05:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Plenty of examples scattered around Indiana.

RM
My guess for the most "woke" towns in Indiana would be Gary, Bloomington, and West Lafayette, and in that order. Other than that my guess is most of Indiana has no real interest in being "woke." And that's not a bad thing. It's just the way it is, most everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 06:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
My guess for the most "woke" towns in Indiana would be Gary, Bloomington, and West Lafayette, and in that order. Other than that my guess is most of Indiana has no real interest in being "woke." And that's not a bad thing. It's just the way it is, most everywhere.
I think he meant the opposite, as in, Indiana has plenty of "hellhole area that is so backwards that is has nothing going for it" which is 100% true.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:15 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think he meant the opposite, as in, Indiana has plenty of "hellhole area that is so backwards that is has nothing going for it" which is 100% true.
I know. I totally agree with what SC said, and what RM said and what you said.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:30 PM

89 posts, read 140,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bscott1 View Post
We’re in Chicago watching our public schools, some of the highest in the state, turn into a dumpster fire through an equity-based curriculum (no homework, lower standards, children not bringing home
textbooks). We really wanted to go to Indy but after watching the DEI focus by the school board and lack of tolerating dissent, we’re ruling out Carmel. Any suburbs we should consider?
Florida? Florida seems like the right location for people with your worldview.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:50 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I don't think I ever had homework until I was in junior high, except maybe to put together a diorama or some other nonsense. I made it through engineering school nonetheless.
No math homework in 4th grade, to practice division, or 5th or 6th, to practice more complex math skills? By 6th grade, we were all assigned research topics to learn how to format and complete a multi-chapter research paper. By junior high, we were expected to have mastered those skills and apply them to more research projects.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:56 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
It's a time suck for the parents, too. A friend in Westfield has two kids who are about 11 and 12. The amount of time she has to spend helping them with their homework (which is pretty advanced for their ages) and taking them to sports practice is staggering.
She shouldn't have to help them most of the time. Homework is just practice applying the skills taught in class, so you retain the skills, and also to demonstrate to the teacher that you understood what was taught. It shouldn't be pages of busywork; just enough to test and reinforce your skills. If some kids didn't understand what was taught, they need to speak up in class and ask questions.

Old 08-24-2023, 03:19 PM

238 posts, read 129,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How are kids going to grow up to learn that unpaid labor after work hours, when you should be spending time with family, is normal if you don't give them homework?

Life in the the USA is about generating income for the elite at your own expense, giving the best years of your and your children's lives to the billionaire CEOs, not having a quality of life like some communist from Europe.
The bolded part of your comment brought to mind all the gig drivers (Uber, Lyfe, Grubhub, Doordash, etc.). Those people just are not doing the math, and conceptually don't understand the fact that as "contract workers" they are the fleet maintenance for these huge businesses.

If those gig companies actually had to pay W-2 employee wages, some benefits, and some vacation time, they'd also have to pay for maintenance on their company vehicles. But they won't do that because they'd actually have to bear their own costs, and thus go out of business.

As it stands, gig drivers are just racking up their own odometers, piling on maintenance costs sooner, and doing nothing to improve their own lot in life while bringing in dollars for businesses that do little other than operate an app.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:50 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
The bolded part of your comment brought to mind all the gig drivers (Uber, Lyfe, Grubhub, Doordash, etc.). Those people just are not doing the math, and conceptually don't understand the fact that as "contract workers" they are the fleet maintenance for these huge businesses.

If those gig companies actually had to pay W-2 employee wages, some benefits, and some vacation time, they'd also have to pay for maintenance on their company vehicles. But they won't do that because they'd actually have to bear their own costs, and thus go out of business.

As it stands, gig drivers are just racking up their own odometers, piling on maintenance costs sooner, and doing nothing to improve their own lot in life while bringing in dollars for businesses that do little other than operate an app.
Lots of truth for sure, however, an exception would be my son who'd been driving for Uber for quite a few years. After struggling in his early 20's with impractical degrees in college and being young and dumb, he took time off and started working Uber. He matured and then decided to take advantage of Uber's opportunity for them to pay for his tuition at ASU as long as he kept his hours up and his driver score high. Last few years, he's worked the program and just graduated with honors in IT. Just had to mention it, because I'm proud of him and impressed with Uber that they offered a leg up.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Homeschool. Then all schoolwork is homework.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:05 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No math homework in 4th grade, to practice division, or 5th or 6th, to practice more complex math skills? By 6th grade, we were all assigned research topics to learn how to format and complete a multi-chapter research paper. By junior high, we were expected to have mastered those skills and apply them to more research projects.

^^^^^ We got to pick our own topic in 6th grade, but otherwise the same as your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis