Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Also take a moment to reflect on the History of Indianapolis.
Indianapolis was the ONLY major city that Did Not Riot after Martin Luther Kings Assassination.
Indianapolis is one of the most civilized cities in the nation and not having riots or civil disobedience is proof of that
God Bless Indy.
Have you ever heard of the KKK, Indianapolis mayor John Duvall, and D. C. Stephenson? Is Madge Oberholtzer still mentioned in high school history books?

Last edited by missik999; 05-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM

96 posts, read 186,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Have you ever heard of the KKK, Indianapolis mayor John Duvall, and D. C. Stephenson? Is Madge Oberholtzer still mentioned in high school history books?
A couple of extreme cases, for the North anyway. At that time Indy wasn't much different from the rest of the country. Washington DC was still segregated until FDR's 2nd term. Interestingly, these 2 brought discredit to Klan and contributed to it's decline in Indy.

Mys sister lived in an integrated neighborhood in Indy in the 80s and 90s, it was no big deal.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Update: the year 2012 is now ready to checkout! see more houses go up and the completion of Georgia Street among other things!

Also take note of the IUPUI Campus from the year 1962 and notice the houses and how big this neighborhood was. then add 10 years later and in 1972 80% of this housing stock was demolished and the leftovers were utter abandoned neighborhoods.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 27,861 times
Quote:

Robert Kennedy Announcing the Assasination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Indiana 1968 - YouTube

Also take a moment to reflect on the History of Indianapolis.
Indianapolis was the ONLY major city that Did Not Riot after Martin Luther Kings Assassination.
Indianapolis is one of the most civilized cities in the nation and not having riots or civil disobedience is proof of that
God Bless Indy.
A lack of civil disobedience is not proof of being more civilized, when a country enforces unjust laws being disobedient is a great thing.

I loved the site by the way

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,740 times
Looking for anyone that might have Pictures of Little America Kiddie Land that was at 62nd and keystone. Would like any but would like some from the 1956 time period. Does any one know when it opened and closed (years)? Also any surrounding pictures like the Arcade or Driving range that was there. Can send any if you would like to [EMAIL=[EMAIL="kryloncowboy@hotmail.com"]kryloncowboy@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]]. Thanks!!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 18,014 times
Quote:
MapIndy

This link will take you to a picture of what Indianapolis looked like in 1937,1941,1956,1962,1972,78,79,86,91,93,95,97,99, 2000 and each year up until 2010.

Have to say the few things that remain consistant from 1937 until today is the Statehouse and the Soldiers and Sailors monument.

Enjoy this History right before your eyes
I'm sorry, I still cannot seem to get it to work

Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 12,267 times
I have a question, and not sure how to find the answer. I live on the west side of Indianapolis, and I am trying to find out about a fire, at a trailer park, sometime in 1962. The trailer park was called Harveys, and used to be on the west side, on Washington Street. A relative of mine saved some children from a burning trailer, and I am trying to get some article/clipping about the fire. I have tried researching online, but no luck. The park is gone, and my relative died in the 1990s. However, I am trying to find out more information, for my Indianapolis family research. This is a long shot, could not find anything in the IFD archives, online, or the Star. Any ideas would be helpful. I lost a lot of information in my recent house fire, and I am starting from scratch.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM

261 posts, read 500,815 times
Found this picture of the Chase Tower under construction:

Skyscrapers of old under construction - Page 8 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 PM

140 posts, read 167,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

That mayor was a cannibal psychopath... It creeps me out that someone like that could become a mayor... He was from Texas though... What about Gertrude Baniszewski?? God damn maniacs...

Indianapolis came a long way... It used to be called naptown for God's sake...

Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 PM

60 posts, read 86,832 times
Someone should start a photo thread of Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis