Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 05:10 PM

39 posts, read 34,745 times

Advertisements

btw, I got my recent IP bill and its down to 150.00, and it will be down to about 120.00 I predict by the next one. Meanwhile wearing 5 layers of clothing, but hey its all good. As long as my pipes dont freeze, but they wont since I've got it set to 58.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 10:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsmusicpizza View Post
Central heat
If you had air cond. it would cost alot more than that.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:06 AM

39 posts, read 34,745 times
I'm glad that a/c is totally optional. Nothing in the house will break if I don't turn on the a/c, like will happen if I don't turn on the heater in winter.

I just open the windows, having A/C off is doable in the summer

( unless I have a date at home, she won't come back if I have a too warm house - then I need to turn on AC for the night )

Old 01-17-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsmusicpizza View Post
I'm glad that a/c is totally optional. Nothing in the house will break if I don't turn on the a/c, like will happen if I don't turn on the heater in winter.

I just open the windows, having A/C off is doable in the summer

( unless I have a date at home, she won't come back if I have a too warm house - then I need to turn on AC for the night )
AC is an maintenance item that goes out alot. I don't have AC but I hear alot of people have problems or lots of maintenance with it.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:07 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
I don't know anyone in I.F. who has central air conditioning.
I'm sure there are homes here that have it, but there's really no need for it.

Adding insulation to a house's attic and installing an attic exhaust fan will cool a house pretty well here.

An even cheaper cooling method is to buy a few powerful portable fans and at sunset, open some widows and use the fans to blow the hot air inside out. The cool evening air floods in as fast as the hot air exhausted out, so if a person rises just before dawn and closes the windows, the house will be cool and stay cool for as long as its insulation allows.

Landscaping also helps. A mature neighborhood full of shade trees will always be cooler than a neighborhood that's in full sun all day long.

None of the above makes a big difference in the power bill.

But winter here is another story that's much different.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:55 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The prices are reflective of the size of the home. I am in 1200 sq ft and it usually is under $100. per month for gas and electric. If I was in a bigger home it would cost alot more to heat it up. I don't have air conditioning so that cost is eliminated.

My last home in the states was 1850 sq ft. LP for heat and TVA for power. Average cost less than $100/mo. The people who live in it now spent $400 last month.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:57 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
AC is an maintenance item that goes out alot. I don't have AC but I hear alot of people have problems or lots of maintenance with it.

Gave up on central air long time ago. Returned to window units - far cheaper to operate

Old 02-12-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Gave up on central air long time ago. Returned to window units - far cheaper to operate
We haven't had the luxury of Air cond. but I would welcome it. But I don't welcome the high cost of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls