Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM

432 posts, read 533,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here...

Have noticed some new apartment fill-in developing around Woodruff and John Adams Parkway, and along 1st near Woodruff. Also some new construction just east of Hoopes on 12th. Obviously, many developers are seeing some progress in the IF economy. Still a big chunk of empty property just south of the Park Pointe/Meadows complexes on Hoopes on the west side of the street. Don't see much happening there, but it is a desirable piece of land ready to get locked and loaded. This area has become a residential hub, and I would not be surprised if all available land is developed by 2014, or 2015 at the latest.
I've noticed more infill this last couple years and that area you talk about is probably the most desirable in the region right now and you might see that shift over toward the Snake River Landing area in the next 5 years though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
I've noticed more infill this last couple years and that area you talk about is probably the most desirable in the region right now and you might see that shift over toward the Snake River Landing area in the next 5 years though.
Yes, I think Snake River Landing is the next to explode. All the infrastructure is in place, so a quick build up is indeed possible. Plus, the events center, the new park, the Melalueca expansion (3 miles south), and even the expansion of the Teton dealership with VW, will help. I would expect this will still take a few years, perhaps 2015, but it is almost certain with the exception of another deep recession.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

432 posts, read 533,727 times
I would guess that it will proceed quicker if new homes start popping up out that way as well. That Melaleuca project is still fairly hush-hush so only a few really know what that will bring.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
I would guess that it will proceed quicker if new homes start popping up out that way as well. That Melaleuca project is still fairly hush-hush so only a few really know what that will bring.
Agreed. The Melaleuca project is indeed quietly coming together. Very little press. I wonder how tall their HQ's building will be. It could be anywhere from 1 to 5 stories, or more. Don't think there is any height zoning out there. Perhaps a good story for one of our two tv outlets to investigate. (two...now that KIFI and KIDK are basically one in the same now).

Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Close location to the interstate does very well for a lot of businesses. The big problem with west side development are lava flows; there are a lot of lava fingers about 3-4 feet underground in the area which require drilling and blasting to run utility lines, sewer lines and foundations. The lava is also very difficult to grade as well.
The lava runs mostly between Broadway and 17th from the river westward. Some of the most solid rock has already been worked on; the west side Wal-Mart sits right on top of some of it. Just west of Utah Ave. is where the solid stuff is, but the fingers are very irregular. There can be easily developed land right next to solid rock.

Home construction on the west side was going very well before the bust. I expect there will be more of it soon, as the eastern development, especially just outside I.F. and Ammon city limits will be costing more for sewage hookups in the future. The west side does not have that problem, and, if inside city limits, new housing benefits from the cheaper Idaho Falls power.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Quote:
Agreed. The Melaleuca project is indeed quietly coming together. Very little press. I wonder how tall their HQ's building will be. It could be anywhere from 1 to 5 stories, or more. Don't think there is any height zoning out there. Perhaps a good story for one of our two tv outlets to investigate. (two...now that KIFI and KIDK are basically one in the same now).
I read both of your posts (pw72 and I.F. Guy). I guess you're both right. I haven't really thought it about it. I think Frank V. has something to do with that and how much he wants to release to others.

Glad you're both posting here, as well as others.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Close location to the interstate does very well for a lot of businesses. The big problem with west side development are lava flows; there are a lot of lava fingers about 3-4 feet underground in the area which require drilling and blasting to run utility lines, sewer lines and foundations. The lava is also very difficult to grade as well.
The lava runs mostly between Broadway and 17th from the river westward. Some of the most solid rock has already been worked on; the west side Wal-Mart sits right on top of some of it. Just west of Utah Ave. is where the solid stuff is, but the fingers are very irregular. There can be easily developed land right next to solid rock.

Home construction on the west side was going very well before the bust. I expect there will be more of it soon, as the eastern development, especially just outside I.F. and Ammon city limits will be costing more for sewage hookups in the future. The west side does not have that problem, and, if inside city limits, new housing benefits from the cheaper Idaho Falls power.
Interesting post banjomike. How do the lavaflows alter (or not) the large shopping center planned for the west of I-15.

I agree about home construction on the west side.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM

I have not heard about a large shopping center for the west of I-15. Any more info on this?

Albertsons Plaza, or whatever it is called these days, seems to be struggling.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I have not heard about a large shopping center for the west of I-15. Any more info on this?

Albertsons Plaza, or whatever it is called these days, seems to be struggling.
pw72 - Sunnysides Crossroads was planned for immediately west of the I-15 and Sunnyside exit. Maybe IF guy and others can update us to the status of this project as it was planned to be built as the crash happened. Sunnyside Crossroads - Idaho Falls, Idaho

MSR

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM

Interesting, MSR. The thing about outlet centers is they don't necessarily depend on nearby local residential. They tend to be destination oriented. Can't think of any other major outlet centers in East Idaho. So this could be viable. These centers usually bring additional development, restaurants, hotels, etc. (Examples: Post Falls, ID, and just south of Boise, ID) I wonder if the original developer is still even involved. A lot has changed since 2008.

The Sunnyside exit, however, should increase development over the next 5 years. I predict it will be unrecognizable from what it is today. Heck, it us unrecognizable from 5 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls