Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 04:29 PM

27,700 posts, read 16,190,041 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's so not normal. There was probably something left behind in there or some other problem.

Get an HVAC guy in there.
My hvac guy was going to be here in a week 2 months ago. Need to find a new reputable one. Easier said than done. It took 6-7 different calls just to get this guy finally. He sold me on replacement when all i wanted was ducts tightened, sealed better. I would have done it myself had time not been an issue for me. Also, I have an incredible sense of smell, so it doesnt take much to bother me.

Last edited by saltine; 05-05-2024 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 04:40 PM

26,003 posts, read 22,192,881 times
I was just wondering if this is in the basement, and if the unit takes in air from the basement. Does it only smell close up, or is it sending the smell throughout the house? I also wondered what type of filter it has, and how often that was changed, as in could the smell be trapped in the filter? We have a reusable filter now, but used the throw away ones with carbon filter prior to that. Just my trouble shooting thoughts.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 3,319,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
My furnace smells. Typical response~ "Oh its the production solvents or oils and they will burn off and no longer smell after a few cycles."
Ok, that makes sense, and it surely burned some off when first run. But a year later and it smells like 'oils or solvents' still. Its a goodman. Do higher cost furnaces not have this everlasting toxic stench?

In every house I've lived in with a furnace as an adult (four), it (they) always smelled the first few cycles of the new winter.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:47 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,724,908 times
I don’t ever recall having any smell from our new furnace. Being new construction, we did have our ducts cleaned and they blew out lots of construction crud. Maybe think about a Monster Vac or similar.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

1,999 posts, read 962,127 times
Quote:
He sold me on replacement when all i wanted was ducts tightened, sealed better.

I hate this about some companies who push new product instead of just fixing the damn issue.

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

2,531 posts, read 2,790,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I hate this about some companies who push new product instead of just fixing the damn issue.
No kidding. There are several large HVAC companies in my area which are especially guilty of this. Thankfully, I have a wonderful small company which keeps the older units going as long as possible. When even they agreed with me that my damaged one wasn't salvageable, I knew it was truly time.

It's hard to find the good companies but they are out there. Word of mouth found me the one I use.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

1,999 posts, read 962,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
It's hard to find the good companies but they are out there. Word of mouth found me the one I use.

We are family-owned and get all of our business by WOM. We don't need to advertise because we are fair and competent. Strangely enough, most of our residential work comes from people who've been screwed over by the biggest company in our area. Guess how they made all that money.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

17,649 posts, read 17,756,446 times
What is the heating source (electric, natural gas, propane, heat pump)

I wonder if the installer used some type of solvent or adhesive that isn’t normally allowed nor used for such an install?

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Thanks all for replies.

My hvac guy was going to be here in a week 2 months ago. Need to find a new reputable one. Easier said than done. It took 6-7 different calls just to get this guy finally. He sold me on replacement when all i wanted was ducts tightened, sealed better. I would have done it myself had time not been an issue for me. Also, I have an incredible sense of smell, so it doesnt take much to bother me.
I would get a DIFFERENT HVAC guy than the one that installed it.

I would not be shocked if they goobered something up, left some rubber behind that heats up and stinks or *something*.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would get a DIFFERENT HVAC guy than the one that installed it.

I would not be shocked if they goobered something up, left some rubber behind that heats up and stinks or *something*.
Agreed. Maybe some duct-sealing goo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House