Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 08:30 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Yea, I'm sure I will get a lot of laugh emojis. I shouldn't though if you think about it.
What do you all think about still having 2 referees, but either having one act as a linesman too, which would mean 3 officials on the ice instead of 4 or putting the 2nd referee in the Press Box, making calls from there and alterting via a buzzer or whatever the ref below when there's a penalty?
Honestly at times I think the ice is too crowded to have 4 officials. Before, I want to say sometime 15 years ago, there was only 3.
I'm sure they have a system (I've refd before) where they have a way to keep each official away from the actual play as much as possible but stuff happens. Face it, if the ref unintentionally acted as a pick or the puck hit him when the player was trying to clear the zone and it leads to eventually a goal when it should have been a clear, I'd be livid.
While the Refs Union in the NHL, etc, would probably consider going back to 3 (1 being both a ref and linesman) dead on arrival because of jobs, having a 2nd actual ref call things from upstairs like they do in the NFL for replays I don't think that's a crazy idea. If technology fails, during the game, you just go with 1 ref.
I just thought about it because in soccer there's only 1, an explanation for that on Quara is more than 1 ref would make it too crowded. Well, hockey has 2 and it's easily more crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 06:26 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
What do you mean “there is only one in soccer?” There are 3 on field, and a fourth as an assistant referee.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:48 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
The only way to get more room is to go to Olympic (International) sized rinks. I didn’t like the extra referee when they added the fourth one, but it hasn’t made a difference in space on the ice. The only time I found the extra ref annoying was times when the one furthest from a play would wave off a goal in conflict with the ref who was right there and had a clear view of what’s going on. I haven’t noticed that as much lately, but I remember it happening on occasion in the psst.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yea, I'm sure I will get a lot of laugh emojis. I shouldn't though if you think about it.
What do you all think about still having 2 referees, but either having one act as a linesman too, which would mean 3 officials on the ice instead of 4 or putting the 2nd referee in the Press Box, making calls from there and alterting via a buzzer or whatever the ref below when there's a penalty?
Honestly at times I think the ice is too crowded to have 4 officials. Before, I want to say sometime 15 years ago, there was only 3.
I'm sure they have a system (I've refd before) where they have a way to keep each official away from the actual play as much as possible but stuff happens. Face it, if the ref unintentionally acted as a pick or the puck hit him when the player was trying to clear the zone and it leads to eventually a goal when it should have been a clear, I'd be livid.
While the Refs Union in the NHL, etc, would probably consider going back to 3 (1 being both a ref and linesman) dead on arrival because of jobs, having a 2nd actual ref call things from upstairs like they do in the NFL for replays I don't think that's a crazy idea. If technology fails, during the game, you just go with 1 ref.
I just thought about it because in soccer there's only 1, an explanation for that on Quara is more than 1 ref would make it too crowded. Well, hockey has 2 and it's easily more crowded.
Lets expand the ice to international levels.

Or heck even Bandy Levels. Can you imagine bandy for an outdoor game at an NFL stadium?

That would truly be awesome. Just let out two lines each team for the game.

Right now the small ice rink superimposed over the gridiron looks ridiculous.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:00 AM

Or just have the linesman be in the stands right next to the blue lines. They can see the offsides from the front row.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
What do you mean “there is only one in soccer?” There are 3 on field, and a fourth as an assistant referee.
Well two are technically out of bounds.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
I never understood why there is 4 refs on ice. i mean you esentialy need two. one when one team is attacking at offside line and one when other team is attacking on offside line white other in that zone. other 2 in VAR room like soccer. i do not understand why hockeyt went with challenges like stupid american sports.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:00 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well two are technically out of bounds.
Yeah. The linesmen could easily be out of bounds in hockey too. I agree that there is no need for them to be on the ice.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:43 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bappiseo View Post
I never understood why there is 4 refs on ice. i mean you esentialy need two. one when one team is attacking at offside line and one when other team is attacking on offside line white other in that zone. other 2 in VAR room like soccer. i do not understand why hockeyt went with challenges like stupid american sports.
Breaking up fights is why you need at least 3 realistically

Old 12-31-2022, 09:57 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
WHy would they want more space? The 04/05 lockout shrank the size of the arena. Favors offense and scoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey