Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2024, 07:56 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,789,569 times

Advertisements

Must of been so incredibly exciting to first find this.

This Was Village Life in Britain 3,000 Years Ago
Three millennia ago, a small, prosperous farming community briefly flourished in the freshwater marshes of eastern England. The inhabitants lived in a clutch of thatched roundhouses built on wooden stilts above a channel of the River Nene, which empties into the North Sea. They wore clothes of fine flax linen, with pleats and tasseled hems; bartered for glass and amber beads imported from places as far-flung as present-day Iran; drank from delicate clay poppyhead cups; dined on leg of boar and honey-glazed venison, and fed table scraps to their dogs.
Within a year of its construction, this prehistoric idyll met a dramatic end.
https://artdaily.cc/news/167675/This...-000-years-ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 04:00 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,274,985 times
That's a fascinating period of European history. They probably built out on the wet fen to help with defense, there being no rocky, high ground around, the usually preferred position for security.

Their huts are reminiscent of the Amerindian Hogan or of the Hut of Romulus about 2800 y/a.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Romuli

That's also an amazing bit of biological history gained from analysis of preserved dog & human feces.

Old 05-27-2024, 06:43 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,789,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvas View Post
I didn't like history in school, it seems very boring to me, remembering all those names and seemingly radom dates. It all seemed verey trivial to me, even though these were literally history altering moments.

But what I was always fascinated by, was the way people lived back in the day. What was their lifestyle, their culture, wierd traditions. Different technologies, or as Richard Dawkins would call them memes. this multitude of little variables and detailes that controled the course of hostory, finaly bringing us here.
I grew up thinking a hated history, that it was incredibly boring. It didn't seem trivial, but maybe irrelevant. It wasn't until I was an adult that it dawned on me that there are all kinds of history, not all of them focusing on date of battles and treaties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History