Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 08:17 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Just think of all the variables that go into measuring more or less racist as we see it in the news or in culture. There would be differences by county and state. There might be perceptions based on anecdotal stories or on some kind of measures.
Expectations of the Black population
Level of activism and solidarity
Integrity of Black institutions/churches
Past history of KKK, violence or lynching
Level of White control of the economy and institutions
Public awareness
Amount and bias/quality of news coverage
Current level of violence
Integrity and reliability of law enforcement
Elected officials and court responses
---among others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 08:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
most racist place i ever been was detroit
Detroit and Cleveland are easily some of if not the two most segregated metro areas in America. White Flight was very very real in those two cities.

Detroit demographic maps look like there is a white shell around the non-white city.

Cleveland is essentially whites on the west side and blacks on the east side. Even the suburbs in eastern and southeastern Cuyahoga county are predominantly black while the western suburbs are almost all 90% or more white residents.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:37 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
most racist place i ever been was detroit

Chicago for me. I attended the wedding for one of my wife's zillion cousins. So we were in a nice upscale suburb outside of Chicago and I heard the n-word more times in a weekend than I've heard in the past thirty years in Alabama. It was actually jarring. Every time I heard it, I felt as if I'd been slapped upside the head.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:36 PM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
oh yea in the mid 80's alabama had nothing on detriot. That was the most racist city i ever been to, and it wasnt white black, it was jewish, itlians, muslim, every body. they had their own towns like china town

Old 08-02-2022, 12:41 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
I believe when Dr. King tried to move his part of the Civil Rights Movement up north, he was brutally attacked & harried out of the so-called liberal north.

I have read Frederick Douglas accounts of how northern euros would riot because they thought they would just lose their lives & livelihood fighting for coloured slaves, who if freed, would take their jobs away.

Even with the Underground Rail Road going to canuck land, I'm not sure if there was voluntary movement to sierra leone colony of whether it was deportation because the nordic north atlantic plantation powers wanted to maintain a euro settler character for the colony.

From the circle of Blumenbach, Prichard.

Researches into the Physical History of Mankind. Second edition, Volume 1;By James Cowles Prichard: search nova-scotians sierra leone.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:57 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let's not delude ourselves into thinking Georgia's racism is in the past. According to studies, and a new book about voter suppression in the US threatening our democratic processes, Georgia's Republicans have maintained a stranglehold on on the balloting process since 2005, in order to maintain control of elected positions throughout the state and in Congress. The details of their m.o. in preventing new Dem voter registrants from voting, or from having their votes counted, are spelled out, in "One Person, No Vote: How Voter Suppression is Destroying Our Democracy". Georgia is a model of voter suppression.
If Georgia is a "model of voter suppression," how does one explain that blacks voted in all-time historic numbers to elect Biden/Harris and two Democrat Senators during the last elections? Stacy Abrams is even trying to convince blacks that they have no voting rights in Georgia, and that Georgia is a TERRIBLE place to live, yet she's running for Governor of Georgia! Say what??

Old 08-04-2022, 12:47 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Atlanta is still a new city, all things considered. Georgia was part of the colonies. Mississippi and Alabama...were not. Andrew Jackson, land seizure...yada yada.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:39 AM

540 posts, read 555,502 times
I did a quick look at lynching numbers and mass killings of the blacks at the time after a map showed up on reddit, and it was a bit shocking, but Alabama was the one noticeably lower than its peers. Mississippi and Louisiana are the ones that look the most horrifying.

In terms of lynching totals (black/total), it was Mississippi (520/581), Georgia (492/531), Texas (352/493), Louisiana (335/391), Alabama (299/347), Arkansas (226/284), Florida (257/282), Tennessee (204/251), Kentucky (142/205) and South Carolina (156/160) as the top ten. The article mentioned that the numbers didn't look to include mass killings. Note that Texas had a higher population at the time, Georgia and Alabama had about half that (I think Tennessee might've a been slightly more populated), and the rest of the ten were notably less populated.

A quick glance of massacres show some pretty massive ones for Arkansas (Elaine), Florida (Ocoee, Rosewood might be undercounted), Louisiana (Colfax, Coushatta, Thibodaux, Opelousas), North Carolina (Wilmington), Oklahoma (Tulsa), and South Carolina (Ellenton). Tennessee and Virginia also had massacres of captured black soldiers from the civil war, but that was out of range for what I had been looking at. Georgia and Mississippi didn't have any listed matching the timeframe. Alabama had a massacre in 1874 at Eufaula, with high casualties, a low number of deaths, and didn't burn down a town. I also noticed the 1906 Atlanta race riot wasn't on the list, so there's probably a lot more missing.

In terms of getting killed while being black, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana were probably the worst places to be. Edit: "Best" look to be NC > SC... gap... TN > AL... gap.. > the rest.

Granted, this only looking at being murdered in a show-y way. There's plenty of other aspects to what was going on beyond that.

Last edited by Nemean; 08-04-2022 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-14-2024, 11:42 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
I did a quick look at lynching numbers and mass killings of the blacks at the time after a map showed up on reddit, and it was a bit shocking, but Alabama was the one noticeably lower than its peers. Mississippi and Louisiana are the ones that look the most horrifying.

In terms of lynching totals (black/total), it was Mississippi (520/581), Georgia (492/531), Texas (352/493), Louisiana (335/391), Alabama (299/347), Arkansas (226/284), Florida (257/282), Tennessee (204/251), Kentucky (142/205) and South Carolina (156/160) as the top ten. The article mentioned that the numbers didn't look to include mass killings. Note that Texas had a higher population at the time, Georgia and Alabama had about half that (I think Tennessee might've a been slightly more populated), and the rest of the ten were notably less populated.

A quick glance of massacres show some pretty massive ones for Arkansas (Elaine), Florida (Ocoee, Rosewood might be undercounted), Louisiana (Colfax, Coushatta, Thibodaux, Opelousas), North Carolina (Wilmington), Oklahoma (Tulsa), and South Carolina (Ellenton). Tennessee and Virginia also had massacres of captured black soldiers from the civil war, but that was out of range for what I had been looking at. Georgia and Mississippi didn't have any listed matching the timeframe. Alabama had a massacre in 1874 at Eufaula, with high casualties, a low number of deaths, and didn't burn down a town. I also noticed the 1906 Atlanta race riot wasn't on the list, so there's probably a lot more missing.

In terms of getting killed while being black, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana were probably the worst places to be. Edit: "Best" look to be NC > SC... gap... TN > AL... gap.. > the rest.

Granted, this only looking at being murdered in a show-y way. There's plenty of other aspects to what was going on beyond that.
In Mississippi, there were 462 black people lynched from 1882-1930, 282 from 1900-1930, and 539 from 1882-1968. In Georgia, there were 423 black people lynched from 1882-1930, 302 from 1900-1930, and 492 from 1882-1968. After crunching those numbers, the state which had the largest number of black lynching victims from 1900-1968 was Georgia, with 371, followed by Mississippi, with 359.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:50 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Murder is just one measure. Others are more subtle. How many jurisdictions were "sundown towns" where African Americans had to leave towns by sunset.

In the various states, how many had counties where African Americans were systemically expelled. In GA, this included Forsyth, Fannin, Gilmer and Dawson.

And what of more subtle measures such as restricting USDA loans? Or banking? Or even where one could buy gas? The Negro Motorist Green Book was a resource for African American motorists.

Last edited by webster; 03-15-2024 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History