Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:48 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times

Advertisements

I'm asking for book recommendations.

The last history book that I read was Empire of the Summer Moon, about the Comanche Indians. That was a really great read. It wasn't boring at all, and not overwhelming with detail. It's also the same subject matter as one of my most read fiction books, Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy.

I just tried, and failed, to read Undaunted Courage about Meriwether Lewis. It got great reviews and does seem like a good book, but it's just way too much.

Any suggestions for something to read that is interesting and not too overwhelming? I don't have the mental focus to be able to stick with textbook size history books. Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Old 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
What topic?

The Old West?

Little Big Horn? History written as a novel. Son of the Morning Star, Evan S. Connell. Simply brilliant. Not boring. It is like the old west in covering a wide breath of subjects in a story telling fashion. It rambles, here and there.
A personal favorite at how confusing the battle is to piece together is reading Custer in '76: Walter Camp's Notes on the Custer Fight. Walter Camp. A newer edition has come out.

Old Army on the Frontier? Fifty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay. Don Rickey

Lewis & Clark? Or Perish in the Attempt: Wilderness Medicine in the Lewis and Clark Expediton. David Peck- Engrossing read, seriously.Delivers more than what the title suggests.

Indian Wars?
Encyclopedia of Indian Wars: Western Battles and Skirmishes 1850-1890 and Forgotten Fights: Little-known Raids and Skirmishes on the Frontier, 1823 to 1890
Gregory Michino. You will not want to stop reading.

There is a general history of the Frontier west of the Mississippi I read as youngster which was an engaging read. Short quick chapters. 600=pp. Plenty of visuals. The Book Of The American West Jay Monahagan.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-02-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 07:30 PM

I guess I do like the Old West stuff.

Thanks for all the book recommendations; I'll be checking them out at the library.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 PM

100 posts, read 122,197 times
Not exactly Old West in the Cowboys-Indians sense, but I only recently finished (and wished I'd read much sooner) "Angle of Repose" by Wallace Stegner. It is the story of a current (1970s) history professor studying the frontier life of his grandparents during the mining boom days of the late 1800s, wandering from this mining camp to the next and the hardships endured therein.

Just an excellent book -- fiction but said to be based on a real situation. Won the Pulitzer Prize. Enjoy.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Any suggestions for something to read that is interesting and not too overwhelming? I don't have the mental focus to be able to stick with textbook size history books. Thanks in advance,

One of my favorite books is Jesse James: Last Rebel of the Civil War, by TJ Stiles. Stiles also won the Pultizer this year for Custer's Trials: A Life on the Frontier of a New America. He's a terrific writer.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Hmmm, no offense but I thought "Undaunted Courage" as pretty light mainstream reading.
Maybe you should got to one of many of Larry McMurtry's western novels.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I guess I do like the Old West stuff.

Thanks for all the book recommendations; I'll be checking them out at the library.
The Book Of The American West by Jay Monahagan has it all from mountain men to cattle punching, wagon trains to indians tribes, firearms to vigilantes.
Sections here:

Part One: Opening of the West: Explorers and Mountain Men by Dale Morgan
Part Two: Transportation in the American West by Oscar Osburn Winther
Part Three: Treasures of the American West by Oscar Lewis.
Part Four: Indians and Soldiers of the American West by Don Russell
Part Five: The Law of the American West by Wayne Gard.
Part Six: Cowboys and Horses of the American West by Ramon F. Adams.
Part Seven: Guns of the American West Robert Easton
Part Eight: Wild Life of the American West by Natt N. Dodge.
Part Nine: A Sampler of Western Folklore and Songs by B. A. Botkin
Part Ten: A Gallery of Western Art with commentary and notes Clarence P. Hornung

Old 08-03-2016, 09:01 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
"The Last Samurai: The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori" by Mark Ravina

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Samurai-.../dp/0471705373

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hmmm, no offense but I thought "Undaunted Courage" as pretty light mainstream reading.
Maybe you should got to one of many of Larry McMurtry's western novels.
No offense taken. But I disagree with the 'light' reading.

If you want light mainstream reading, try reading "The Revenant" (novel, not factual history). It was the literary equivalent of eating a saltine cracker for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History