Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 08:44 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times

Advertisements

So just a couple more questions if I may.

1) Anyone here have experience with Emblem Health for Medicare Supplement coverage -- good, bad or indifferent? I seem to be zeroing in on their plan.

2) Does "high deductible" G qualify for an HSA? If yes that would sure be a clincher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 09:01 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So just a couple more questions if I may.

1) Anyone here have experience with Emblem Health for Medicare Supplement coverage -- good, bad or indifferent? I seem to be zeroing in on their plan.

2) Does "high deductible" G qualify for an HSA? If yes that would sure be a clincher.
Out-of-pocket copays with Medicare and HD-G can be paid out of an HSA account. You cannot contribute further to the HSA, once you enroll in Medicare, though.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Out-of-pocket copays with Medicare and HD-G can be paid out of an HSA account. You cannot contribute further to the HSA, once you enroll in Medicare, though.
So the supplement plan gets Medicare cooties on it I guess. That's too bad.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:47 AM

534 posts, read 479,565 times
Quote:
Supplement has nothing to do with it. Nobody enrolled in Medicare and contribute to HSA.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:58 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
What's your point - how does the supplement get cooties? Both you and your wife are already on Medicare. That means neither of you can contribute to an HSA. Enrollment in Medicare is a disqualifier for HSA contributions.

Although HSA funds cannot be used to pay supplement premiums - which under HD plans are very small - the HSA can be used to reimburse yourself for Medicare Parts B and D premiums, which are not insignificant especially if your income subjects you to IRMAA - plus you can use the HSA for all other qualified Medical expenses, including Medicare copays and deductibles.

I only had the advantage of contributing to an HSA for a few years before retirement. I always maxed out contributions, but blew through it pretty fast after retirement with dental expenses. I also would reimburse myself the Part B premiums.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-19-2023 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-19-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What's your point - how does the supplement get cooties? Both you and your wife are already on Medicare. That means neither of you can contribute to an HSA. Enrollment in Medicare is a disqualifier for HSA contributions.

Although HSA funds cannot be used to pay supplement premiums - which under HD plans are very small - the HSA can be used to reimburse yourself for Medicare Parts B and D premiums, which are not insignificant especially if your income subjects you to IRMAA - plus you can use the HSA for all other qualified Medical expenses, including Medicare copays and deductibles.

I only had the advantage of contributing to an HSA for a few years before retirement. I always maxed out contributions, but blew through it pretty fast after retirement with dental expenses. I also would reimburse myself the Part B premiums.
I simply hoped that the "high deductible" terminology was an explicit reference to HSA eligibility. I was also aware that straight-up Medicare does not qualify for an HSA. I hoped the two issues were separate. They are not. That's all.

My wife's HSA will probably be emptied out in the coming year as her copays on her two knee replacement surgeries wander in. It would be nice to be able to continue to contribute to an HSA. I have maxed her HSA out for several years but even $15K that remains isn't much in the face of a significant surgery or some chronic medical issue.

I have never been eligible for an HSA and would like to become eligible. I think denying that to seniors is something of a travesty, but it is what it is. I don't know who defines "high deductible" eligibility but I think 20% copay on everything with no cap is pretty high risk exposure, especially as one ages. In this corrupt for-profit medical system we need all the help we can get.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:59 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
I have never been eligible for an HSA and would like to become eligible. I think denying that to seniors is something of a travesty, but it is what it is. I don't know who defines "high deductible" eligibility but I think 20% copay on everything with no cap is pretty high risk exposure, especially as one ages.
The IRS defines the high deductible.

Medigap budget plan / income based Medicare premium penalties-irs-hd.jpg

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ngs%20account?

The $2,800 deductible on the HD certainly meets the minimum of $1,400. The reason Medicare recipients who work cannot contribute to an HSA is because both Medicare and the HSA are govt subsidized. Medicare Part B premiums, depending on income, can be as little as 25% of the actual cost, the remaining 75% paid by the govt. HSA is a govt tax-advantaged vehicle. Ergo, double bang for the buck from the govt.

So, working Medicare enrollees cannot contribute to an HSA.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The IRS defines the high deductible.

Attachment 247466

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ngs%20account?

The $2,800 deductible on the HD certainly meets the minimum of $1,400. The reason Medicare recipients who work cannot contribute to an HSA is because both Medicare and the HSA are govt subsidized. Medicare Part B premiums, depending on income, can be as little as 25% of the actual cost, the remaining 75% paid by the govt. HSA is a govt tax-advantaged vehicle. Ergo, double bang for the buck from the govt.

So, working Medicare enrollees cannot contribute to an HSA.
Well at least that is a coherent reason. Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:11 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Thanks.

United HealthCare offers a Plan K that pays 10% coinsurance with an out of pocket maximum of $7,060. But inpatient hospital is $816 (per day? for the whole first 90 days? It's not clear). Premium is $85.25/mo. Their G plan does not offer a "high deductible version" and is $283.25/mo. It appears to be $0 hospital visits up to 90 days, $0 doctor visits after the $240 deductible, and that is the out of pocket maximum.

Does one have to file a separate claim to a Medigap plan or is it all managed by Medicare? It is weird to me that straight-up Medicare Part A is $0/day for the first 60 days and this plan is $816. What fresh hell is this?

I did find a NYS site that lists all the plans and carriers ... I think you must be talking about plan HDG which UHC doesn't offer but five other companies do, ranging from $52.50 to $70.82/mo. The company with the cheapest rate is in liquidation ... odd that NYS lists them.

Argh ...
There should be a chart comparing a Plan K with a Plan G or Plan N. Indeed, you may find the Plan K does not cover much when you need it. Too bad you can't compare with Plan F. Plan F is the most expensive in premium but for services you pay nothing. Makes it the most comprehensive plan. Plan G or Plan N are next. Plan N may have 1/2 the premium of Plan F.

You don't have to file separate claim. Your bill goes from Medicare to the insurance co. There may be times when it takes more time to pay the bill. This could become important if the doctor/hospital bills you.

Not sure if your NYS site also lists consumer ratings for the other insurance co's. Someone with poor or no rating could be company to avoid.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:43 PM

74 posts, read 40,708 times
I was explaining to my brother that hd-g deductible isn’t like regular health insurance where the deductible has to be met before the insurance pays. Medicare pays the portion of bill and you pay the 20 percent until you reach the yearly hd-g 2700 deductible. Seeing as how Medicare pays a lower amount to doctors and hospitals you have to have a few hefty bills to get to that 2700.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance