Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 11:46 AM

363 posts, read 349,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
this reminds me a bit of when they lobbied us CSRS folks to switch to FERS.

I remember that. I worked with some feds who had the chance to switch.

iirc, it was such a tempting "deal" that the GOV came back with a second chance to switch.

Same response from the employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 01:35 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
this reminds me a bit of when they lobbied us CSRS folks to switch to FERS. always be wary if the govt wants you to 'change' to something that supposedly benefits you. they will wrap it up nice with a big bow but in the end it probably benefits anyone but you.

LOL, that's for sure! IMO it's a given with the feds.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:45 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't recall reading anything about having to opt out of the MDPD every year, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if this was true.

From the brochure... "We're hope you happy with MPDP. However, if you wish to leave the benefit, you can do so once per year".

I believe the adds to that something like, "And don't worry... you'll automatically be enrolled automatically next year.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
From the brochure... "We're hope you happy with MPDP. However, if you wish to leave the benefit, you can do so once per year".

I believe the adds to that something like, "And don't worry... you'll automatically be enrolled automatically next year.
I'll have to look at the brochure, check the website again. I recall reading, I think, the first sentence about being able to leave the program once a year ( at open season time, most likely). I don't remember the line about being enrolled automatically next year, but you're right, it sure sounds like their aim is to get everyone they can enrolled in the MDPD, and it will be harder or more effort to opt out of it, especially if you have to do it every year. I foresee a time where the MDPD will be the drug plan for FEHB retirees on Medicare, with no choices for the old drug plan. I hope I am wrong.

The other interesting ( and could be concerning, IMO) thing is the responses of the Blue Cross and even Caremark employees to questions asked about the MDPD. When we first got the information about the MDPD, I called the FEHB Customer Service number, got a pharmacy customer service person, asked general questions about the MDPD. She told me she couldn't answer any of my questions, that they had been told next to nothing about the program and she didn't know anyone who could. I got the same response from a Caremark employee ( they administer the BC pharmacy program) about 6 weeks later when I called them with my questions, and yet another Caremark employee I spoke to around mid December when I called to opt out.
Seems the employees have been given little information about the details of the MDPD program, or that's their story and they're sticking to it.

So we're opted out at least till next year. If you're right, and knowing the sleight of hand the players most often operate with, we will have to go through the same process again next year, and as long as we want to remain with the old pharmacy program, until we get tired of the process or it is no longer available to us.

It IS annoying. They think we are feeble minded and stupid

Old 01-30-2024, 07:39 AM

533 posts, read 479,288 times
This user is using the new option and seems satisfied

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2024 at 01:18 AM..

Old 02-01-2024, 08:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
Just filled my first prescription under the new Medicare part d auto enrollment, thought I’d give this a chance, despite having to leave my trusted long term pharmacy. However, what had been costing me $28 a month for this particular prescription under the old program is now $60 under part D. So I’m headed for opting out.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Just filled my first prescription under the new Medicare part d auto enrollment, thought I’d give this a chance, despite having to leave my trusted long term pharmacy. However, what had been costing me $28 a month for this particular prescription under the old program is now $60 under part D. So I’m headed for opting out.
So much for saving you money, eh? I found the same thing to be true with my Eliquis prescription. More expensive under the new plan. That was one of my reasons for opting out.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:11 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post

That's what I expected to happen. The only thing I worry about are things like expensive cancer drugs and who knows how to know which plan is better before it happens.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
That's what I expected to happen. The only thing I worry about are things like expensive cancer drugs and who knows how to know which plan is better before it happens.

I guess it depends on which FEHB insurance plan you have as to the comparisons under the current and new Medicare-based plans. I'm not familiar with all the plans but I did check out the federal employee's Blue Cross/Blue Shield ( which we have as secondary to Medicare) website for this information. They have the comparisons for their various plans ( ie, Basic, Standard, and Blue Focus options) for 2024, including copays for drugs in the various tiers, general information regarding availability of drugs as applicable ( ie, requiring prior authorization, supplies limited, etc). They also have a tool that lets the user compare the copays of specific drugs at specific participating pharmacies or mail order under the various plans with the current BC drug plan and the new MDPD ( Medicare part D drug plan).

With the expensive cancer drugs, or newer biological medications used to treat autoimmune conditions, under the traditional BC drug plan these must be obtained at their specialty pharmacy, and they have their own formulary for those drugs. I was curious about how that worked, and checked out the specialty formulary for several cancer drugs, including some newer biologicals such as Keytruda. They were all on the formulary. I checked out the copay for Keytruda through the specialty pharmacy and it looked to be $65 for each dose, which seemed pretty reasonable to me as those drugs often run thousands of dollars a pop. This copay looked to be the same under both the current BC drug plan, and their new MDPD plan, with the only difference being that with the MDPD plan a customer could pick up the drug at a participating retail pharmacy and under the current BC plan the drug had to be obtained through the specialty pharmacy - perhaps sent directly to the cancer center where the drug would be administered.

The other difference between the two plans in comparison here was that the MDPD offers an annual out of pocket expense cap of $2000, and there is no cap on out of pocket expenses for the current BC drug plan. I can see where this would be helpful to a patient taking a lot of expensive drugs.

Of course this is for the upcoming year, there is no telling what changes will be made, or how we will be affected after that. I'd think that the other health insurance plans under the FEHB retiree umbrella would have comparable tools available on their websites to compare their drug plans for 2024.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:43 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess it depends on which FEHB insurance plan you have as to the comparisons under the current and new Medicare-based plans. I'm not familiar with all the plans but I did check out the federal employee's Blue Cross/Blue Shield ( which we have as secondary to Medicare) website for this information. They have the comparisons for their various plans ( ie, Basic, Standard, and Blue Focus options) for 2024, including copays for drugs in the various tiers, general information regarding availability of drugs as applicable ( ie, requiring prior authorization, supplies limited, etc). They also have a tool that lets the user compare the copays of specific drugs at specific participating pharmacies or mail order under the various plans with the current BC drug plan and the new MDPD ( Medicare part D drug plan).

With the expensive cancer drugs, or newer biological medications used to treat autoimmune conditions, under the traditional BC drug plan these must be obtained at their specialty pharmacy, and they have their own formulary for those drugs. I was curious about how that worked, and checked out the specialty formulary for several cancer drugs, including some newer biologicals such as Keytruda. They were all on the formulary. I checked out the copay for Keytruda through the specialty pharmacy and it looked to be $65 for each dose, which seemed pretty reasonable to me as those drugs often run thousands of dollars a pop. This copay looked to be the same under both the current BC drug plan, and their new MDPD plan, with the only difference being that with the MDPD plan a customer could pick up the drug at a participating retail pharmacy and under the current BC plan the drug had to be obtained through the specialty pharmacy - perhaps sent directly to the cancer center where the drug would be administered.

The other difference between the two plans in comparison here was that the MDPD offers an annual out of pocket expense cap of $2000, and there is no cap on out of pocket expenses for the current BC drug plan. I can see where this would be helpful to a patient taking a lot of expensive drugs.

Of course this is for the upcoming year, there is no telling what changes will be made, or how we will be affected after that. I'd think that the other health insurance plans under the FEHB retiree umbrella would have comparable tools available on their websites to compare their drug plans for 2024.
Thank you so much for sharing what you found out!!! I have BCBS Standard. I keep attending Medicare seminars because I quickly forget the info. I have a cancer diagnosis; but, I have been watch and wait for 9 years. It's eventually going to get me. We only know what meds are typically used now. I am hoping to work another - 5-6 years so I just want a general idea for now and to keep it on my list of things to go back and analyze again a few months before retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance