Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 01:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
I'm old. My very long hair (hip length) has decided to become curly (read frizzy) once again, after just being wavy since I was about six.
I know you didn't ask but since you're old and the hair is going frizzy now, you might want to consider taking a collagen supplement to help the scalp and smooth the hair back into waves.

Quote:

How do I deal with it? It's easy.

Wash and condition hair. Wrap a towel around my head for it to dry while I do other after shower stuff.

Comb out gently. Part in the center. Separate into two large hanks, one per side.

Now separate each large hank into two or three smaller hanks. Braid each small hank, clip the end until all three are done, then tie all three together with a hair band/scrunchy. Repeat on the other side.

When your hair dries, gently undo the braids. Waves galore.
Sounds good. I knew an old Dutch lady with waist length air who would put her wet hair into many braids to let it dry. When she undid the braids her loose hair hanging down looked like waves, ripples and swirls in a pool. Lots of volume. Beautiful.

I'm old now too but no longer have long hair, I've decided it's more convenient for me to keep it very short now, sort of like a pixie cut that I can simply finger comb and let air dry.

But when I was a lot younger and had long hair it tended to coarse frizziness so I did the same routine as you except for one thing. I didn't braid the many separated hanks of hair, I put them in rollers and let it dry at room temperature.... no heat applied unless it was just barely warm air. It was easier and a LOT quicker for me to do that. When I took the rollers out it was waves galore that would be shiny and silky smooth like fine polished satin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 08:42 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m so jealous of curly hair. What, in heavens name, has kept you from getting it cut? Get it cut and shaped to chin length, wash and fluff and enjoy it.

I'm an old lady and so I can say that an old lady with long hair is just weird.
You may call me weird. I love my long mane. SO braids it for me. The corporate cheerleading bob had its place in my life but no more.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:16 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Folks, this thread quickly became problematic. I cleaned it up a bit, deleting some posts. Bickering and personal attacks are not tolerated here.

Please stay on-topic. The OP did not ask for advice; she simply shared how she handles her long hair. If the thread goes awry again, it will be permanently locked.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:40 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Thank you, PJSaturn.

My hair is very healthy. It needs no extra products beyond the ones I use, and I have zero interest in cutting my hair. Long hair rules!

It's not "frizzy," it's curly. Was super curly when I was very little, moving into wavy when I was about six. Became curly again when the silver started showing up in more profusion. Now I have Harley hair: black and chrome... OBTW, I use a leather ponytail cover to keep my hair from flying about when riding my Harley. Between the helmet and ponytail cover, my hair hangs straight down my back, where it's safe from wind damage.

Since I'm not particularly fond of curly hair, I braid it to get the waves back. I get compliments on my hair whenever I'm out and about, which indicates to me I'm doing it right for my hair.

I offered a way to style long hair without using heat, curlers or anything other than a few hair bands and some patience. If it also works for your hair, great.

Think I'll go do four braids per side, just for the heckuvit...

Old 02-21-2024, 12:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You may call me weird. I love my long mane. SO braids it for me.
There are days when I'd love to have SO braid it for me. But that would be a right mess...

Old 02-21-2024, 01:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
You did originally say your hair was frizzy. OP.

Quote:
I'm old. My very long hair (hip length) has decided to become curly (read frizzy) once again, after just being wavy since I was about six.

My very thick, curly, long hair always looked absolutely awful after I braided it. Eventually I cut it off and I've loved it ever since! For me, super short hair rules!

Old 02-21-2024, 01:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
SnazzyB, The point is : not a whole lot of older women can rock long locks - you can though!

The OP has hip length, frizzy (her word) hair. I'm imagining a Christmas tree effect, and not in a good way.

I would cut it to collar length, style it with fingers, air-dry, fluff and go. Result?...Bouncy, healthy-looking, curly hair.
LOL I always looked like Rosanne Rosannadanna with crazy, long hair.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:24 PM

256 posts, read 113,803 times
Quote:
When your hair dries, gently undo the braids. Waves galore.
I'd be interested in seeing your thick, full-bodied, "Waves galore." Will you post a pic, please?

All I ever see in my day-to-day life is thin, stringy, gray, long hair on an old woman's face.

That's why I'm hoping you'll share with us the look you've achieved.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:53 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m so jealous of curly hair. What, in heavens name, has kept you from getting it cut? Get it cut and shaped to chin length, wash and fluff and enjoy it.

I'm an old lady and so I can say that an old lady with long hair is just weird.
Sorry, but I completely disagree. I have long hair and I wear it in a scrunchy. I'm retired, so it doesn't matter, but the main reason I have my hair long is because my husband still likes it, and one of his favorite things (he says) is to brush it out for me in the evenings when I am sitting in front of him and there is a fire in the fireplace.

Anyway, who really cares what someone else does with his or her hair?

P.S. On Edit: I just read the comment from the Mod. I hope MY post doesn't come across as nasty, but I am just stating my OPINION.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:13 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Sorry, but I completely disagree. I have long hair and I wear it in a scrunchy. I'm retired, so it doesn't matter, but the main reason I have my hair long is because my husband still likes it, and one of his favorite things (he says) is to brush it out for me in the evenings when I am sitting in front of him and there is a fire in the fireplace.

Anyway, who really cares what someone else does with his or her hair?

P.S. On Edit: I just read the comment from the Mod. I hope MY post doesn't come across as nasty, but I am just stating my OPINION.
I always joke that SO has to brush three cats at bed time.Izzi&Bizzi, ChaCha Cat ant me. Please do not use the Furminator one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care