Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 10:00 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Interesting tips there, thanks for posting. I've also used coffee as a dark wood stain, it works! When I was a teen I used to spray Sun-In lightener on my hair. I was already blonde and came back from the pool one day with WHITE crunchy hair. My mother had a fit and I was banned from ever using it again.

I used to use henna when I was in my dark brown/auburn color phase. It works but is messy and will stain your skin.

And what's with the insane price increase of everyday hair dye recently? I always bought whatever was at the grocery store, Revlon or Clairol, for around $8-9 a box. Now they're all $15-18...wtf. I looked online and found them at a major retailer for $8-9 so they're getting my business now.
Premixed colors are expensive.
It's cheaper when you buy the colors at Sally's, Ulta or other beauty shops. It's usually two components to mix in a bowl (I used ketchup dispenser) and a brush. It's easy and foolproof. Saves tons of money.
They cover grays better and are formulated so that the hair damage is minimized.

Gray hair takes colors really hard and usually the color doesn't stay for long. So, I would rely on colors that are made specifically for them.

Over the years I dyed my hair in many colors (except very dark) DIY at home, with great results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 09:38 AM

31 posts, read 11,299 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 01-21-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's cheaper when you buy the colors at Sally's, Ulta or other beauty shops. It's usually two components to mix in a bowl (I used ketchup dispenser) and a brush. It's easy and foolproof. Saves tons of money.
They cover grays better and are formulated so that the hair damage is minimized.

Gray hair takes colors really hard and usually the color doesn't stay for long. So, I would rely on colors that are made specifically for them.

Over the years I dyed my hair in many colors (except very dark) DIY at home, with great results.
Wonderful! I'll try this

Old 01-21-2024, 10:13 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:

This. I used to pay a lot to color my hair and add highlights. I asked my stylist one time, what my hair color was because I was moving. She told me and then I went to Sally and bought the permanent color and never looked back. Costs maybe $2.50 to color my gray roots every 3 weeks. My new stylist thought I had my color done somewhere because I have really nice golden blonde highlights. I get those from swimming every day in the summer. I told her, nope! I just color my roots.

One interesting fact about hair dye: I took a minerals test a couple years ago and nickel stood out like a sore thumb. There is nickel in hair dye. Not enough to be harmful, but it's there.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:25 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Heidi View Post
Thank you. I was hoping for the actual recipe from someone whose had some success.
I prefer a dark natural blonde color but am open to changing shades.

If you want to go red, just use henna. Easiest color to use. Mix it with something acidic like lemon juice and let it sit for 12 hours, slap it on, wrap your head in Saran Wrap to keep it from drying out, let it sit on your head for 6 hours, and unwrap and rinse.

And this red will NOT fade.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I

I used to use henna when I was in my dark brown/auburn color phase. It works but is messy and will stain your skin.

That's why you wear gloves when applying it to your hair. After you work with it a while you learn how to control the spatters. I've been using it for over a decade.

It's also a LOT cheaper than commercial dyes or salon color.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
For very light hair- Kool Aid packets can be used to color hair.

Dark hair can be colored with boiled down coffee.

Overall it's more practical to buy store bought dye to color hair, as it's formulated to work properly.

Commercial dark colors have PPD, which is the ingredient that causes allergic reactions.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If you want to go red, just use henna. Easiest color to use. Mix it with something acidic like lemon juice and let it sit for 12 hours, slap it on, wrap your head in Saran Wrap to keep it from drying out, let it sit on your head for 6 hours, and unwrap and rinse.

And this red will NOT fade.
Thank you I am actually trying to avoid going to red hair.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:48 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:

I've been doing this for years when boxed color gave me "hot" roots where the roots are lighter than the rest of my hair because of the amount of gray/white.

I buy Wella medium brown and burgundy from Sally's and mix them with 20 volume developer. Works great and the small bottle lasts me for at least two touch-ups.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:09 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Ha! I also use Wella. It covers hair really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care