Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 01:50 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Interesting. I assume you were applying the minoxidil to your scalp per directions, right?

If you don't mind saying, where did you get hair growth? I don't think minoxidil is going to travel through the bloodstream, but maybe it does.

I do think that I actually do "know it all" when it comes to clinically proven hair loss treatment, that's not much of a brag because it will all fit on a 3X5 card easily. In two words, minoxidil and finasteride. There are other things that have some anecdotal support, but recall that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
Hi, Mitch. I was applying as directed and maybe got a tiny bit of growth on my scalp but I started to get lots of facial fuzz, haha, and the hair on my arms and legs grew more. I had stopped using it but have started it again out of desperation. But I will look into finasteride which I assume is a prescription? I'll need to go to my dermatologist or maybe I can ask my primary when I see her in a couple of weeks.

Thank you, Mitch!

edit: I had read that it is absorbed into the system and can produce hair growth elsewhere as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I know this post is a bit old but can you tell me what DHT blocker you take and is it prescription? I have been losing hair for years and in the last 6--8 months, it's gotten pretty bad. I am female and approaching 60 and I take supplements daily but nothing is helping. I take biotin, collagen powder, and gelatin that I make extra strong for my shakes.
Hi sorry for the late reply. It's something that someone gave me I'll have to dig it out of my cabinet and post that later. It comes in a little brown bottle with an eyedropper. It's over the counter not prescription.

Good for you for taking all that good stuff it's hard to believe that it's not at least preventing further hair loss at least a little bit. I said upthread that I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with female pattern baldness on top of the head. I don't see any change from last year.

I do feel that my hair is thinning and I've pretty much resigned to just keeping it blunt cut blow drying and using product in it. Not sure how much longer that's going to do the trick.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
A friend of mine started to have her hair thinning in her 30’s. 31 years later she still puts rogaine for women on her scalp daily.

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

apparently it does work, then.... of course you have to keep using it. I remember reading a few years ago about long term effects, but some people think it's worth it. I know at my age I do. I'm not interested in prolonging my life. I don't go out of my way to shorten it, but I would very likely use Rogaine if I really needed it (which I might in the next few to several years).

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I know this post is a bit old but can you tell me what DHT blocker you take and is it prescription? I have been losing hair for years and in the last 6--8 months, it's gotten pretty bad. I am female and approaching 60 and I take supplements daily but nothing is helping. I take biotin, collagen powder, and gelatin that I make extra strong for my shakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Hi sorry for the late reply. It's something that someone gave me I'll have to dig it out of my cabinet and post that later. It comes in a little brown bottle with an eyedropper. It's over the counter not prescription.

Good for you for taking all that good stuff it's hard to believe that it's not at least preventing further hair loss at least a little bit. I said upthread that I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with female pattern baldness on top of the head. I don't see any change from last year.

I do feel that my hair is thinning and I've pretty much resigned to just keeping it blunt cut blow drying and using product in it. Not sure how much longer that's going to do the trick.
Here are some photos of the bottle. (Hold on, I need to upload the photos from my phone.) The writing on the bottle is miniscule, but it looks like "hair thickness maximizer dot com"
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone here tried Nutroful for hair loss?-20240418_120537.jpg   Has anyone here tried Nutroful for hair loss?-20240418_120602-1-.jpg   Has anyone here tried Nutroful for hair loss?-20240418_120544.jpg  

Last edited by pathrunner; Yesterday at 01:30 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
apparently it does work, then.... of course you have to keep using it. I remember reading a few years ago about long term effects, but some people think it's worth it. I know at my age I do. I'm not interested in prolonging my life. I don't go out of my way to shorten it, but I would very likely use Rogaine if I really needed it (which I might in the next few to several years).
I'm not aware of any really serious side effects with minoxidil (Rogaine). I have been using it since it came out in the late 80's IIRC. I mean, it's a 5% solution you apply topically to your scalp. It's not like you are mainlining some sort of hard drug here.

My dermatologist thinks it's doing well for me, but of course since I'm not in a double-blind study, I have no data as such to report. But anecdotally, it seems to be working for me so I'll keep using it.

Not like it's expensive, either.

I'm not aware of many ladies using the DHT blocker finasteride (Propecia) but I think a few do. This is a prescription drug, so you would have to find an open-minded doc who would prescribe it to you off label.

If you have no intention of having a baby, there is not much risk that I know of. A woman pregnant with a *male* child could have some issues with sexual development of the baby, IIRC.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Interesting, thanks for posting. Yes, it seems that some people jumped the gun on long term use of Rogaine and the generic for same. I wouldn't be averse to using it. I know that despite my best efforts, the hair I lost last fall does not seem to be coming back, but at least I'm not losing any more. I made it to a decent age (over 70) with a still decent head of hair so I really shouldn't complain. I've recently seen some women in their 40's who have extremely thin and baby-fine hair. For them, it's likely genetics.

Old Today, 04:46 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
A friend of mine started to have her hair thinning in her 30’s. 31 years later she still puts rogaine for women on her scalp daily.
...and? With good results?
Hair will start falling out again when you stop using Rogaine (minoxidil) products because minoxidil only works while you use it. So it's a life commitment.

Old Today, 04:51 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Here are some photos of the bottle. (Hold on, I need to upload the photos from my phone.) The writing on the bottle is miniscule, but it looks like "hair thickness maximizer dot com"
Here, on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Blocker-Hair-.../dp/B08D6FY5Q6
Read 1* reviews.

Maybe this is better?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054Y1SSU...pa_mw_detail_1
Although I don't like the alcohol content, it could be improved with a right conditioner.
I would just stick to their shampoo.
https://www.amazon.com/Laboratories-...018265-8921333

Last edited by elnina; Today at 05:05 AM..

Old Today, 07:03 AM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
PRP microneedling is supposed to be really good.

Some just use a derma roller at home and apply rosemary oil. I’m not sure the efficacy, but apparently a lot of younger males do this to prevent future balding.

There are also helmets you can wear at home that emit a red light that is to be worn at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care