Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 08:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Thin wavy hair in very red brunette with the first strands of silver and past the elbows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 09:53 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I can relate. I ended up looking like a depressed cocker spaniel. What's that old saying . . . nothing grows slower than a bad haircut! Too true, sadly. How did you handle that debacle? Did you find a new hairdresser?

Around here it seems that nearly every woman of a certain age either has the ubiquitous bob or a pixie with a shaved neck and back of the head - sort of a light bulb look, if you know what I mean. I do see older women with gorgeous luxurious longer grey hair and envy them. It takes a certain hair type and the right products, as you mentioned, to pull that off.

I do sport the bob but as I can't stand it flopping into my face, I style it as a bob but keep it back with a headband or behind my ears. My hair is very fine with mix of wavy and straight areas so it's difficult to style, products or not. Always has been.

I'm of the "fly your own flag" camp . . . work with what you've got for the most flattering and manageable look you can. Now finding a hairdresser who gets that is another matter!
I agree ..I tend to chop at my own hair and like it better than some or most haircuts Ive had over the years... I have a high hairline and dont like it too short or flat.. My hair has a curl and they dont listen when cutting.. taking off too much or the wrong shape for my face no matter what photo I show them or explain what I want... Id loved longer hair but it doesnt take kindly to our windy weather and ends up wavy and out of control.. so I keep it about three inches all over and short at the nape..not perfect by any means but better than the poor earmuff lady.... do hairdressers not understand the distress and depression a bad haircut leads to. and it does.. confidence is ruined for weeks if not months...

Old 11-26-2022, 02:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Thin wavy hair in very red brunette with the first strands of silver and past the elbows.
That's out of context.

Are you saying that gray hair growing out becomes too visible and too much effort to dye?

Old 11-26-2022, 03:42 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I agree ..I tend to chop at my own hair and like it better than some or most haircuts Ive had over the years... I have a high hairline and dont like it too short or flat.. My hair has a curl and they dont listen when cutting.. taking off too much or the wrong shape for my face no matter what photo I show them or explain what I want... Id loved longer hair but it doesnt take kindly to our windy weather and ends up wavy and out of control.. so I keep it about three inches all over and short at the nape..not perfect by any means but better than the poor earmuff lady.... do hairdressers not understand the distress and depression a bad haircut leads to. and it does.. confidence is ruined for weeks if not months...
I wish I was talented enough to cut my own hair. Yours would work for me, actually, but I fear looking like a freshly shorn sheep if I were to cut it short. The hairdresser I go to does very good haircuts, technically, but I sometimes wonder if he pays attention to who he is actually cutting. I contemplate switching to someone else but the fear of the unknown sets in and I decide to just work with him. At least he tolerates me in that I, like you, can't handle chemicals so have to wash my hair at home with my safe shampoo and go straight to his salon when no one else is there and not right after he has done some smelly procedure on the previous client.

To hark back to the original topic, when I was working I always had to be cognizant of the appropriate hairstyle for my position and the image I projected when representing the company. Age wasn't the only factor but my hair did need to be age-appropriate and corporate-safe. Glad those days are over!

Old 11-27-2022, 10:37 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I have no idea what look she was going for that time. My cut is pretty basic and stays pretty much the same. Kind of should length, long and blended layers with some face framing. She had done it dozens of times. I've seen her for 5/6 years.

Imagine a semi-layered bob that stops about lower ear length in the front, another 2 or 3 inches that are under it and the back has no connection to the front--just straight and a few layers. It was almost like I had 3 different hair cuts on my head. There was absolutely no blending between the "bob" part and the lower part. Literally everyday I'd brush and try to style my hair I'd complain about how bad it looked. I've never experienced that in my life.

I saw a new stylist after a couple of months of growth. She was able to make it presentable enough to allow for it to grow out more. It's finally at a place where she can do a proper cut next week.
A lot of stylists cannot properly blend now and some don't even try. I also got lines and straight angles instead of blending with my layered cuts in more recent years. Then out come the thinning shears on my fine hair. I finally gave up and like some others here learned to cut it myself. I had to make reasonable changes to my style, and cannot keep a high maintenance style doing it myself so I had to let some things go and I actually like having an easier style. I also do loose home perm which is more forgiving if I make a mistake or two in my cut.

I hope your new stylist works out for you!

Old 11-28-2022, 04:56 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't trust hair dressers. They never seem to do what I want. So, I learned to cut and color my own hair. Doing it for decades now. I am happy and saved tons of money
We must have been going to the same hair dressers! In my case, I had always wanted my hair cut to one inch just to see what that would be like. For years, I was told "Your husband would kill me if I cut your hair like that". Well, they simply would not believe that "I" make the decisions about my hair.

If one wants to cut their hair super short or wants someone else to cut it with guidance, this is the place to learn: https://www.youtube.com/@HFDZK as I have learned so much there. Amazon has a great selection of clippers, and also all types of scissors at different prices.

In my 60s, I have tried to grow my hair out a couple of times, but got fed up with it, more to do with "comfort and ease", which has become my motto after years of uniforms and also office work in the olden days with skirts, heels and panty hose. I am "liberated" from that!

With hair, it is a lot "heredity", although I have seen women go on the hormone stuff when they get older and have very thick hair, but I avoided that. My hair is slightly more coarse, and maybe 20% gray. I have avoided coloring and perms since my mid-30s, something that will definitely be harder on the hair. I have read to keep combing and brushing to a minimum, and I have noticed those with pony tails pulled back tight get a balding sort of thing going on.

My husband has grayed later, but much quicker, and his hair has thinned a LOT! He has not went for the trend of having his head shaved down yet like so many men. He "accepts" that I will do what I want with my hair and sort of with my "dressing", so whatever he chooses is fine.

With men, I have seen some older guys with really thick gray hair in their 70s, and I think ethnicity, again heredity, plays a big part.

With the lack of hygiene now, I am just glad to see that at least a few people still wash their hair regularly, clean is the winner in my mind.

I have not seen that ear muff style here in KS, but one of the most annoying things when my husband and myself had our hair cut, we both got the same cut, a medium style. It appears they learn a new style and everyone gets it!

Old 11-28-2022, 05:39 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
My hair is and always has been super fine and super straight. The best cut for it is a bob. So that’s what I get, unless I decide to perm, which I love.

I really don’t like when they do a bob with the front side longer than the back,and I finally have a hairdresser who understands that and does what I want. I have a chin length bob right now, with a bright blue/green streak under the front right side. (I did the streak myself! )

Old 11-28-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That's out of context.

Are you saying that gray hair growing out becomes too visible and too much effort to dye?
No, I am not. Mine is silver and even the ladies at the supply house wanted to know who does it. I hope it will change color more rapidly.

Those who color their hair - great. It can be a feel good factor.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
My hair is and always has been super fine and super straight. The best cut for it is a bob. So that’s what I get, unless I decide to perm, which I love.

I really don’t like when they do a bob with the front side longer than the back,and I finally have a hairdresser who understands that and does what I want. I have a chin length bob right now, with a bright blue/green streak under the front right side. (I did the streak myself! )
Good for you!

Old 11-28-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We must have been going to the same hair dressers! In my case, I had always wanted my hair cut to one inch just to see what that would be like. For years, I was told "Your husband would kill me if I cut your hair like that". Well, they simply would not believe that "I" make the decisions about my hair.

If one wants to cut their hair super short or wants someone else to cut it with guidance, this is the place to learn: https://www.youtube.com/@HFDZK as I have learned so much there. Amazon has a great selection of clippers, and also all types of scissors at different prices.

In my 60s, I have tried to grow my hair out a couple of times, but got fed up with it, more to do with "comfort and ease", which has become my motto after years of uniforms and also office work in the olden days with skirts, heels and panty hose. I am "liberated" from that!

With hair, it is a lot "heredity", although I have seen women go on the hormone stuff when they get older and have very thick hair, but I avoided that. My hair is slightly more coarse, and maybe 20% gray. I have avoided coloring and perms since my mid-30s, something that will definitely be harder on the hair. I have read to keep combing and brushing to a minimum, and I have noticed those with pony tails pulled back tight get a balding sort of thing going on.

My husband has grayed later, but much quicker, and his hair has thinned a LOT! He has not went for the trend of having his head shaved down yet like so many men. He "accepts" that I will do what I want with my hair and sort of with my "dressing", so whatever he chooses is fine.

With men, I have seen some older guys with really thick gray hair in their 70s, and I think ethnicity, again heredity, plays a big part.

With the lack of hygiene now, I am just glad to see that at least a few people still wash their hair regularly, clean is the winner in my mind.

I have not seen that ear muff style here in KS, but one of the most annoying things when my husband and myself had our hair cut, we both got the same cut, a medium style. It appears they learn a new style and everyone gets it!
Can you elaborate please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care