Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 08:46 AM

383 posts, read 384,099 times

Advertisements

Full foil high and low lights, cut and blow out costs me $225 plus tip. I go every 7 weeks, although I get a cut every other visit, so the non-cut visits are $150 plus tip. My hair is thick and about two inches past my shoulders. Finding a good stylist is right up there in importance as finding a good gynocologist, IMO!

I live in the South and I've always said that no matter how broke I ever became, there are two things I would never do without -- pest control services and my hair stylist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 10:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Depends on skill, training, artistic eye. I pay a lot but it's worth it and I only go three or four times a year. I've been a client of my hairdresser for 25 years and my colorist for 20. They give me a deal on prices because I've been loyal but even with a deal it is a bit pricey.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Closer to $3000 a month. And who cares about the cost of product? You're paying for your stylist's time, which includes not only the hours they are putting into your head, but also their years of training, experience, and education.

If you do not think their time is that valuable, you are welcome to find someone else or to do it yourself.
Some of these whining posts remind me of people who say things like "Why should Ms Movie Star make millions of dollars for one film?" Someone is willing to pay it!

Old 01-17-2022, 10:23 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,168 times
The other option is to not go and do it yourself or go to a cheaper place with the possibility of having a haircut you paid for but don't like and end up going to a better stylist and paying for two haircuts. I know it's expensive but I've tried cutting my own hair and while I can trim it between haircuts it's nearly impossible for me to style it myself the way I like because I don't have the skills for that. I tried layering my own hair and hate the results so much that I'm willing to pay $65 for a professional to do it. Sure, it's just hair but having a nice haircut can make a difference in your confidence. For me, it's mostly that I can't stop looking at my bad haircut I did myself. It's too distracting that I'd rather just pay someone to do it and trust that it looks good.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:12 PM

There are plenty of youtube tutorials.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:10 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There are plenty of youtube tutorials.
I've learned a lot from those and I've been able to do simple cuts but anything more complicated like layers, I butcher. I'm going to pay someone to get them fixed this week.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:18 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I agree... salon prices are getting out of control, especially in big cities. I especially don't think it should cost so much to get a haircut. My hair is long and fine and very easy to cut. I went to Hair Cuttery for years and got the same quality cut I would get at a high-end salon.. Unfortunately, they all closed down. I really don't want to spend more than $50 on a haircut...not worth it.
Because their business model was not economically feasible. Duh!

Old 01-18-2022, 10:52 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Because their business model was not economically feasible. Duh!
Why wasn't it feasible? I actually don't think they closed everywhere in the country... I just noticed they're not in Chicago anymore.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's our situation here. Little mall store that keeps changing hands. They charge $5 for DH cut and we just show them this picture since we can't talk to them, lol.

https://www.menshairstylestoday.com/...for-older-men/

OTOH, I pay over $300 for color, keratin straightening and a trim. Takes like 4 hours so I don't complain. It's only once or twice a year. I show them a picture of Gwenyth Paltrow.

You can get a buzz cut in somebody's shack for $2.
Well, that is an interesting point though....I have short hair and get a cut every 5 weeks. So that is 5 times more often than you.

If I had to pay your prices...let's just say I'd have hair down to my butt! ...and I've never had hair even touching my shoulders so that would look shockingly bad!

Old 01-18-2022, 11:37 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,962 times
Cutting and coloring hair is an art. Some people are better at it than others. If a woman finds someone that she believes makes her hair look good, she's not concerned that the person charges $150 - $175 if she can afford it. I don't care either. I've been cutting my own hair for 50 years, so I guess it evens out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ok what’s the deal... listen, I understand people need to make money but why is it $150 for a woman to get a cut and a highlight?

How much does the product actually cost per person? A licensed cosmetologist can only get the professional product in some states I believe

Is the product like $10-15 per person. So for a 2 hour session the hairdresser is making $65-70 an hour?! And a lot of the time it’s cash.

Yes I know some people pay to rent a space with a chair. What about people that do it out of their home?

It just seems like there is some gouging going on. My wife even said all women talk about this and it’s kind of like this secret unknown reason why prices are so high and there’s never any set price before you sit down? Like the wild Wild West

I can see $40 an hour plus product but $70 an hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care