Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 04:36 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Does anyone want to talk me out of this? If not Glock 20 then Glock 40 or XDM-Elite 10mm. This is to supplement spray in bear & cat country in contexts where a long gun isn't feasible.
I won't try to talk you out of it, but consider this: when you're hiking and climbing for any distance, the weight of your gear matters.

You have a backpack, water, sleeping bag, binoculars, and a heavy firearm capable of stopping a bear. How many hikers do you see carrying firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 05:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I won't try to talk you out of it, but consider this: when you're hiking and climbing for any distance, the weight of your gear matters.

You have a backpack, water, sleeping bag, binoculars, and a heavy firearm capable of stopping a bear. How many hikers do you see carrying firearms?
I do.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:21 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Full-size Springfield XD-M® ELITE 4.5″ OSP™ 10MM HANDGUN (comes with two 16-round magazines) is my suggestion. Glock’s awkward grip angle has always been something I have had to train around. If you are already comfortable with Glocks then by all means get the Glock 20.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:24 PM

86 posts, read 17,931 times
.45 acp is much maligned due to ballistics on charts. In the real world of close up confontration, God's caliber to the head (1 shot) will make even a huge bear turn and go the other way. A second shot to the rear will get it running away. Glock 30 (45acp) is great gun.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:50 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Does anyone want to talk me out of this? If not Glock 20 then Glock 40 or XDM-Elite 10mm. This is to supplement spray in bear & cat country in contexts where a long gun isn't feasible.
I have never liked Glock, they did not fit my hand (no matter which model you get) and then (for me) you have to push the barrel down in an weird way. Again, just my opinion.

Now, I recently bought a SIG 365 X-Marco TAC-OPS (17+1 and comes with 4 mags). This fit my hand far better than expected when I initially looked at it, shoots great.

I believe someone mentioned a revolver, I believe that if you want straight power, look at the .44 MAG. I'm pretty sure there are more powerful pistols out there, but the .44 MAG has been around and a pretty known power pistol (in this instance, I'm using pistol and revolver as one in the same).

ETA:

I sold my Kimber 1911 to get the SIG.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:41 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofunme View Post
.45 acp is much maligned due to ballistics on charts. In the real world of close up confontration, God's caliber to the head (1 shot) will make even a huge bear turn and go the other way. A second shot to the rear will get it running away. Glock 30 (45acp) is great gun.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/fi...0mm-vs-45-auto

Old 03-26-2024, 08:58 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 5 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
First off, to all the Glock haters, take your sig and stick it and while you are at it take your XDM. Glock is the first to come with simple takedowns and easily swapped parts and so it is the best. I bought my first Glock 19 30 years ago and I can swap that with new Glock 19 stuff and use the same mags. The XDM won't have parts in 2 decades and nobody uses it and sigs copied glocks in their simple takedown design, look at old sigs. So I guess in comes in presentation with these folks - the sight height is stupid on sigs, not sure who chooses these. There is a reason Glocks are preferred by law enforcement and it is always a shock to hear sig did anything but they ride the coat tails. If you like someone who does it second, then a sig is for you.

As far as the 10mm, it would do a bear just fine. I would take the other more respectable members opinions on getting a revolver. It has a stronger trigger pull and is always loaded vs. a semi where you have to cycle or risk accidental triggering especially when hiking. At close range, like really close, they do not need to cycle say if a bear or cat is on you and can press on the animal. A revolver is the best trail gun, say in 357 +.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:32 AM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post

The majority of my outdoor activities are in Grizzly, moose, and cat country, and I am armed 100% of the time. Here, hikers and other people out and about in nature are routinely armed.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:49 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
First off, to all the Glock haters, take your sig and stick it and while you are at it take your XDM. Glock is the first to come with simple takedowns and easily swapped parts and so it is the best. I bought my first Glock 19 30 years ago and I can swap that with new Glock 19 stuff and use the same mags. The XDM won't have parts in 2 decades and nobody uses it and sigs copied glocks in their simple takedown design, look at old sigs. So I guess in comes in presentation with these folks - the sight height is stupid on sigs, not sure who chooses these. There is a reason Glocks are preferred by law enforcement and it is always a shock to hear sig did anything but they ride the coat tails. If you like someone who does it second, then a sig is for you.

As far as the 10mm, it would do a bear just fine. I would take the other more respectable members opinions on getting a revolver. It has a stronger trigger pull and is always loaded vs. a semi where you have to cycle or risk accidental triggering especially when hiking. At close range, like really close, they do not need to cycle say if a bear or cat is on you and can press on the animal. A revolver is the best trail gun, say in 357 +.
Chill out, dang, it was just a discussion, people gave their opinions, that's it nothing more.

Like trucks, people say Ford sucks, but Ford has been the best selling truck for ho many years?

Notice though, you did not respond to anyone, just gave YOUR own opinion.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:05 AM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
First off, to all the Glock haters, take your sig and stick it and while you are at it take your XDM.
That’s an interesting start to a post.

Quote:
Glock is the first to come with simple takedowns and easily swapped parts and so it is the best.
If one were to come up with an objective list of criteria by which to determine which handgun is the “best,” those two criteria would be near the bottom of the list.

Quote:
The XDM won't have parts in 2 decades
How do you know this?

Quote:
So I guess in comes in presentation with these folks - the sight height is stupid on sigs, not sure who chooses these.
If you don’t understand the “why” behind the sight height, why are you commenting negatively?

While I like Glocks, they’re not at the top of my list, and I’m no fan boi. I’m also not a fan of either Sig nor the XD’s (none of them make my list of “the only handguns one should consider”). But come on, man. Get a grip. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting