Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 09:35 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think our "government" would change the classification of "digital" weapons to an NFA AOW and charge the 200-dollar tax stamp. You could stock up on physical ammo now and transition to digital later.....
An AOW stamp is $5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
or setting one up to be a victim.

In the next 'shtf' event, aside from the event itself, as covid showed us, the second greatest danger will be from those who want to take, and not share. No one, and I mean no one is that good of a shot that they will prevent black bart from taking them down <---shameless christmas story reference.

'popularity' is your LEAST important goal.
Why is it that no one is good enough to be able to prevent being victimized by Black Bart, but Black Bart is good enough to be able to victimize whomever he chooses?

Old 01-06-2024, 10:13 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
.....Just thought I might bring this up and maybe save you some money in the future. I remember back in the 90's picking up surplus 7.62 x 51 for 160 dollars per thousand. (16 cents a round) Now for commercial bulk purchases, it is around 1 dollar per round. BTW- The surplus rounds are great even today.
Even at the turn of the century, it was like that but one has to remember that at the turn of the century, we were buying up the ammo that had been made for WW III. Eventually, it had to be exhausted.

But....I don't doubt your copper prediction......darn it all!

Old 01-06-2024, 10:22 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why is it that no one is good enough to be able to prevent being victimized by Black Bart, but Black Bart is good enough to be able to victimize whomever he chooses?

cuz pro criminals tend to be better at criminal things and joe citizen who spend more time watching law and order SVU are not.

the shootout that the range happy wish and hope for, just does never happen and if it does, being shot at changes the equation. anyone who tends to be calm under close fire, we label as 'crazy' right? If you are properly trained - at all - you broke for cover on shot 1.

and old test we use to do at the hci (PA) training range....10 yards...slightly more distance than the average jump and attack which any perp can cover in just over 1 second - we did a scream match to get the adrenaline flowing and temperatures up. EVERY marksman who can empty a clip at 25 yards into the 10, wont put the first 3 on paper. man size paper, not .22 targets. at 10 yards.

REALITY, is oft different than daydreams.

Or as inspector callahan once said "A man has got to know his limitations"

and then he blew up hal holbrook lol.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
cuz pro criminals tend to be better at criminal things and joe citizen who spend more time watching law and order SVU are not.

the shootout that the range happy wish and hope for, just does never happen and if it does, being shot at changes the equation. anyone who tends to be calm under close fire, we label as 'crazy' right? If you are properly trained - at all - you broke for cover on shot 1.

and old test we use to do at the hci (PA) training range....10 yards...slightly more distance than the average jump and attack which any perp can cover in just over 1 second - we did a scream match to get the adrenaline flowing and temperatures up. EVERY marksman who can empty a clip at 25 yards into the 10, wont put the first 3 on paper. man size paper, not .22 targets. at 10 yards.

REALITY, is oft different than daydreams.

Or as inspector callahan once said "A man has got to know his limitations"

and then he blew up hal holbrook lol.
Can you better describe the “scream match” where marksmen can’t even get on paper? Sounds interesting.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:29 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Can you better describe the “scream match” where marksmen can’t even get on paper? Sounds interesting.
You take your wife to the range, show her the credit card bill for all the ammo and guns you bought.

Game on.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You take your wife to the range, show her the credit card bill for all the ammo and guns you bought.

Game on.
In that situation, wife can be scary. Wouldn’t want her around guns.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:37 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Just keeping the stress thang real….

Old 01-06-2024, 04:19 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Just keeping the stress thang real….
Stress is the real thing, here.
A typical person, in a shootout, has Adrenalin pouring into their system. A side effect of that adrenal rush is loss of ability to focus on things closer than 6 ft. There is a similar problem with focusing. Bottom line is your gun sights will be blurry. At best.

There is always one guy, though, that doesn't feel the stress. There is a video (somewhere) of the shootout at Twin Peaks, in Waco (or maybe it was Temple) Texas. My wife and I still laugh about one guy, in one scene (possibly a Vietnam Vet), calmly walking down what looks like a hallway, with bullets and glass flying all around him. He was walking as calmly as if he was just going to check the mail. (I think he had already been in too many firefights.)

Quote:
or setting one up to be a victim.
In the next 'shtf' event, aside from the event itself, as covid showed us, the second greatest danger will be from those who want to take, and not share. No one, and I mean no one is that good of a shot that they will prevent black bart from taking them down <---shameless christmas story reference.
'popularity' is your LEAST important goal.
I wasn't discussing SHTF. Just a regular shortage, where:
my neighbor says "I would love to go hunting, but the Local Gun Store is all out of 270. "
and I say: "Just our luck, I got a couple boxes of that."

Old 01-06-2024, 04:36 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
The secondary reason is the coming shortage of copper. Since governments are pushing EV's on us there are going to be shortages and the corresponding price increases in copper.
Can you source this?

https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/cop...cal-chart-data

It's not like EV's snuck up on us suddenly this year. Seems like the last 17 years (since 2006ish) it's just bounced around 3-4 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting