Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 03:26 PM

6,419 posts, read 3,134,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
.....What always makes me sad is when a second or third spouse inherits from the other spouse and then leaves everything to children of their own former marriage. I think that is just unconscionable and downright cruel.
I agree, 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 07:17 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
I made a promise to Mr. Dokie (and myself) when we married I would not screw his children out of an inheritance like I did by MY step mother. I fully intend to keep that promise.

In our wills we leave everything to each other, but both wills list his children by name.

They will get 75% of his IRAs if he dies before me, and everything that’s left when I die.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:49 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times
I just had to follow up on this.
I received a card in the mail yesterday from the daughter of my father's 2nd wife. I'd sent her a card with a note since the family request no flowers be sent.

She enclosed a copy of the program for the service that was held. It was really nicely done, a few good pictures (only one with my Dad, the day they got married) but only he was mentioned. I guess that's appropriate since we were not her bio relatives.

Interestingly enough, my middle sister -who had a loose relationship with her- read the first part of the liturgy and my youngest/only brother, who I had no idea had a relationship with her, or even if he did, was a pall bearer.

I have not received any notification from the probate attorney, which was the reason I was asked to provide my address.

Strange all the things this brings up for me. Talk about baggage. smh and LOL.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:44 AM

7,326 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I just had to follow up on this.

Strange all the things this brings up for me. Talk about baggage. smh and LOL.
Yeah, tell me about it.

When my mother died, her son-in-laws and stepchildren were included in her program/obit. I thought it was the right decision.

When my father-in-law died, his daughter-in-law (me) and his son-in-laws weren't included. It's a personal choice, but it felt odd. My husband and his children were named without a mother. It was like the children sprung out of water like Botticelli's painting of the birth of Venus - no mother, just the clamshell.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 04-02-2024 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-02-2024, 01:48 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yeah, tell me about it.

When my mother died, her son-in-laws and stepchildren were included in her program/obit. I thought it was the right decision.

When my father-in-law died, his daughter-in-law (me) and his son-in-laws weren't included. It's a personal choice, but it felt odd. My husband and his children were named without a mother. It was like the children sprung out of water like Botticelli's painting of the birth of Venus - no mother, just the clamshell.
When my FIL passed away, I wasn't included in the obit even though I was close to him because it cost more. When Hubby passed away- all of his kids' partners were included because I didn't write the obit- just paid for it.

Cat

Old 04-02-2024, 03:17 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
IMHO some people sure look for reasons to get their feathers ruffled.

As for my name being mentioned in an obituary, I couldn't care less if it is someone else's. Put it into perspective. In the grand scheme of things, seems more important that the obit wasn't MINE.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-02-2024 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-04-2024, 05:56 AM

Got my notification paperwork that probate has begun and Mrs. M's will has been filed. There is an attachment that lists 33 people and/or organizations 'mentioned in the decedent's will or codicil' (for what purpose, I don't know, and it's been many years since my basic "Probate" class during paralegal training). I'm not sure it means anything that my siblings and I are listed as step-children below my fathers' name as the first six people on the list. Probably nothing.

I'm not looking for reasons to get my feathers ruffled - I guess on some level I never expected to hear anything further from that side of the 'family' after my father died and find it odd that so many years later, I just still feel hurt. Like I said - baggage.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:48 AM

Another "I just had to post this."

So, yesterday I got test messages from a 561 area code (FL) from someone claiming to be from a business called "ProbateCash." Their note is about getting an advance on your inheritance, supposedly. I do not believe I will be receiving an inheritance, but more to the point, how did this guy/scam (?) get my number?

When I got that first text I replied "who is this????" He responded.....and then I asked him how much I'm getting. LOL
I can't believe this. smh
Waiting to hear from a sister to see if she got the same text.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:06 AM

1,852 posts, read 877,514 times
Say potato

Old 04-16-2024, 07:36 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
I signed my will last week. I wasn't comfortable signing a Power of Attorney so I didn't. But now if anything happens to me, everything goes to the step-kids.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning