Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 07:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

Thnk you, it's day by day. Once I'm more active and in warmer weather it will get better (from past experiences).

My physical therapist after the first hip replacement 12 years ago told me that knee replacements are THE WORST. People hate doing the therapy because it's so painful, and then the knee doesn't heal right and it affects the gait, the back... everything. Make sure he does those exercises. I understand they do have some procedures nowadays that result in less pain afterward.

I wouldn't worry about dependence upon the oxycodone. He can taper off in a way that works for him. Everyone is different. My oxy didn't work after hip surgery last year. I was put on something else - forget what it is. If his pain meds aren't working or he's trying to tough it out. EVERY doctor will tell you do not tough it out. Pain meds are there for a reason.

One doctor told me that when you have real, actual pain the meds work on the pain. When you take opioids recreationally, that's when you're more likely to get hooked. You just have to work day by day at reducing the amount or the frequency of the meds. If something doesn't work (pain, irritability) try something else. I think what I was given was Tramadol when Oxy didn't work.

My chiropractor currently has me on 2 Aleve liquigels taken with a Tylenol. It's worked pretty well, but I've found that switching things up every few days works better... when one remedy stops working well, then switch 24 hours later. I switch to Celebrex or just plain ibuprofen and so forth. Opioids aren't always necessary, in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 05:07 PM

22,455 posts, read 11,977,478 times
^^^^Thank you, pathrunner, for all the good advice. I will pass it along to my husband.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
During the first 2 weeks he should take the stronger pain drugs as prescribed. They will slowly increase the time between doses and lower the strength of the pain meds. If you follow the instructions there is very little worry of becoming dependent on the meds. It is very important to take the pain meds so that you can do the PT required to become mobile again! As healing takes place he should need the pain meds mostly at night to aid in sleeping.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
During the first 2 weeks he should take the stronger pain drugs as prescribed. They will slowly increase the time between doses and lower the strength of the pain meds. If you follow the instructions there is very little worry of becoming dependent on the meds. It is very important to take the pain meds so that you can do the PT required to become mobile again! As healing takes place he should need the pain meds mostly at night to aid in sleeping.
Right on. And he needs to take the meds whether he is hurting or not. TAKE AS DIRECTED.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Yes! Agree with everyone else on this.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on. And he needs to take the meds whether he is hurting or not. TAKE AS DIRECTED.
This is so true. My chiro keeps reminding me, don't slack off on the pain meds (Aleve combined with Tylenol). Sometimes I'm not hurting so I don't take it. The whole idea is to (1) reduce inflammation and (2) reduce pain. Inflammation causes pain.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is so true. My chiro keeps reminding me, don't slack off on the pain meds (Aleve combined with Tylenol). Sometimes I'm not hurting so I don't take it. The whole idea is to (1) reduce inflammation and (2) reduce pain. Inflammation causes pain.
Bingo.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:12 AM

Also, anyone with a hip or knee replacement is someone with joint degeneration and arthritis. We will always be on some kind of pain meds to varying degrees depending upon what's going on.

We also keep having to do research and make decisions based on that. For example, I was given conflicting information about my IT Band injury. A surgeon told me not to walk or work out. My chiro and I agreed that it's better to walk and do the specific exercises I was given after my hip replacements, so that's what I'm doing. It never hurts to keep doing the exercises as much or as little as you feel the need.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:27 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Please research effects on kidneys and liver of Aleve and Tylenol. It appears that many doctors don't even know the damage of even short-term regimens.

Inflammation can also be treated through diet - lemon water is very effective, for example, and there are many other harmless ways of reducing inflammation.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:09 PM

I take basically nothing. I agree, try lemon water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning