Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 06:02 AM

550 posts, read 364,043 times

Advertisements

Many stores of much size you visit have recycling bins for printer ink, small electronics, plastic bags, larger batteries, etc. Curious if the stores themselves who have agreements with the recycling companies whom they have contracted to pick up from these bins regularly, whether it is a money maker for the stores or a cost for them. One close by mega store, whose political beliefs I much disagree with that is a topic for another forum which I seldom buy anything from, has convenient recycling bins near the entrances which I most often recycle printer ink cartridges. If it costs them, that is very good so they have less in profits. I don't see how is a big money maker for any store, but appreciate any insights from anyone who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 09:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
There's many reasons why stores have recycling bins. Some support charities, some help the environment, some may be related to their suppliers who recycle those items. Many times the theory is just to remove those particular items from circulation so people will buy new items.

I can't think of how any reason would cost them. And even more puzzling is why any person would know, believe or care about any political beliefs of any megastore and want to hurt their profits.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:28 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Curious if the stores themselves who have agreements with the recycling companies whom they have contracted to pick up from these bins regularly, whether it is a money maker for the stores or a cost for them. One close by mega store, whose political beliefs I much disagree with that is a topic for another forum which I seldom buy anything from, has convenient recycling bins near the entrances which I most often recycle printer ink cartridges. If it costs them, that is very good so they have less in profits.

Given that the recycling market is cyclical -- nothing gets recycled if there isn't a buyer for the recycled materials -- I assume that the store is doing it simply to draw customers in, such as: "Hey I need to drop this off, might as well pick up a few things while I'm here." A grocery chain has gas stations at some locations, and those gas stations aren't a moneymaker for them. It's just a way to get people in the store.

However you really need to research the political beliefs of the recycling companies selling these materials, since that what's important to you.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:49 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Many stores of much size you visit have recycling bins for printer ink, small electronics, plastic bags, larger batteries, etc. Curious if the stores themselves who have agreements with the recycling companies whom they have contracted to pick up from these bins regularly, whether it is a money maker for the stores or a cost for them. One close by mega store, whose political beliefs I much disagree with that is a topic for another forum which I seldom buy anything from, has convenient recycling bins near the entrances which I most often recycle printer ink cartridges. If it costs them, that is very good so they have less in profits. I don't see how is a big money maker for any store, but appreciate any insights from anyone who knows.
Washington state has a recycling law for electronic products. It is paid for by the manufacturers of electronic products, which really means the consumer, since those costs are built into the cost of the product.

In Washington state the primary recycling centers are Goodwill and other thrift stores. Not sure why that is, but it does fit with the service and training mission for those type of stores.

In years past, the ONLY product that made sense to recycle from an economic point of view was aluminum.

Recycling has a lot of environmental and financial issues. It seems much recycling is merely paying somebody else to throw it away so you can feel good about it.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/pilin...obal-recycling

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-trash/584131/

But nobody wants to investigate that aspect, since it means increased costs and cities would actually have to recycle their waste stream.

Waste to energy plants work. Not sure why cities do not use that option more often. Cities like Seattle has REFUSED to even consider waste to energy plants, preferring landfills in eastern Washington.

City of Spokane has run a waste to energy plant for 30 years.

https://my.spokanecity.org/solidwaste/waste-to-energy/

Old 12-26-2023, 10:53 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
There's many reasons why stores have recycling bins. Some support charities, some help the environment, some may be related to their suppliers who recycle those items. Many times the theory is just to remove those particular items from circulation so people will buy new items.

I can't think of how any reason would cost them. And even more puzzling is why any person would know, believe or care about any political beliefs of any megastore and want to hurt their profits.
It might cost them if the store/company has to pay to have the recyclables removed. That's somewhat the business model now, recyclers will take the items for a fee. One reason, which I was told, is that recycling in general has been so successful that the market prices have collapsed.

This is across the board from steel/metals to plastic to paper and glass as well as electronics.

Added to the above is that recyclables are commonly comingled which then incurs a separation cost.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Given that the recycling market is cyclical -- nothing gets recycled if there isn't a buyer for the recycled materials -- I assume that the store is doing it simply to draw customers in, such as: "Hey I need to drop this off, might as well pick up a few things while I'm here." A grocery chain has gas stations at some locations, and those gas stations aren't a moneymaker for them. It's just a way to get people in the store.

However you really need to research the political beliefs of the recycling companies selling these materials, since that what's important to you.
Yes, in fact there are many "recyclables" that no one wants any more. The big transfer stations where there are separate containers for everything are somehow able to do it but a lot of what we recycle actually ends up in a landfill with no one willing to process it due to the expense and lack of return. Near us a local big soils company sells mulch and bark by the yard and delivers it. There supplier is in large part recycled trees and cuttings, and fill from construction digs. They accept both but you have to pay, last time I took some branches there it was $30 for a pickup load. There just isn't any money in recycling except for a few items like steel, copper, and electronics. That being why those have a theft problem. I remember in the 90s-2000s when recycling cooking oil was a big thing for bio-diesel car conversions. restaurants were happy to give it away to anyone that wanted it to save them paying to have it hauled away. Then they started to realize that it could provide revenue and they now sell it to commercial recyclers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ling-landfills

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/20...cling-america/

Old 12-28-2023, 09:59 AM

550 posts, read 364,043 times
Commenting from above:

- As far as where you recycle, who knows the names of all of the recycling companies in the nation. There are likely dozens of them, and no average person has the time to research the political beliefs of all of them with different companies for different recycling materials.

- Lets just say the store chain where I drop off ink cartridges lost revenue the last two quarters after a marketing fiasco similar to B*dw**s*rs. Though may be accepting of such persons, not everyone accepts promoting LBGTQ behavior due to faith reasons through corporate profits. As far as other options in town here locally, W*lm*rt good luck here finding anyone working there who understands English well enough to tell you where they have they have hidden the recycling bins in the store corporate has advertised (tried for finding other items to buy in the store and very frustrating and time consuming experience trying to translate). Off*c* D*p*t they want your personal info before you can recycle so they can fill up your inbox at least one a day or hundreds a year, so that's a no go. Anywhere else spend more in gas that might as well ditch the small items was going to recycle.

- As far as recycling plastics, can, cardboard, its far cheaper to put it in the recycling containers for weekly hauler home community pickup than to spend close to $10 for a box of trash bags which is more used plastic to dispose of these items.

- Our locality on the local government channel in a program about trash and recycling says they have high pressure power washers to wash out food residue from containers and cans. Responsibly I do one rinse to get 90% of food particles out, but I do not increase my water bill even more when the county processing center has an efficient solution. Of course, not all localities have this. Also like everywhere, do not put food or pizza stained cardboard in the recycling.

Last edited by sprklcl; 12-28-2023 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-29-2023, 02:47 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
one example....
quote:

While Staples has been recycling customers’ old electronics devices for the last 15 years, the company is now rolling out a new recycling rewards program.
The Free Tech Take Back Program will give customers Staples rewards for every item they bring to the store to be recycled.
Customers who go to their local Staples store with electronics or paper to be shredded will receive a $5 rewards certificate
while recycling old ink or toner cartridges will yield a $2 rewards certificate.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...sh-092022.html

Old 12-29-2023, 04:11 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Commenting from above:

- As far as where you recycle, who knows the names of all of the recycling companies in the nation. There are likely dozens of them, and no average person has the time to research the political beliefs of all of them with different companies for different recycling materials.

- Lets just say the store chain where I drop off ink cartridges lost revenue the last two quarters after a marketing fiasco similar to B*dw**s*rs. Though may be accepting of such persons, not everyone accepts promoting LBGTQ behavior due to faith reasons through corporate profits. As far as other options in town here locally, W*lm*rt good luck here finding anyone working there who understands English well enough to tell you where they have they have hidden the recycling bins in the store corporate has advertised (tried for finding other items to buy in the store and very frustrating and time consuming experience trying to translate). Off*c* D*p*t they want your personal info before you can recycle so they can fill up your inbox at least one a day or hundreds a year, so that's a no go. Anywhere else spend more in gas that might as well ditch the small items was going to recycle.

- As far as recycling plastics, can, cardboard, its far cheaper to put it in the recycling containers for weekly hauler home community pickup than to spend close to $10 for a box of trash bags which is more used plastic to dispose of these items.

- Our locality on the local government channel in a program about trash and recycling says they have high pressure power washers to wash out food residue from containers and cans. Responsibly I do one rinse to get 90% of food particles out, but I do not increase my water bill even more when the county processing center has an efficient solution. Of course, not all localities have this. Also like everywhere, do not put food or pizza stained cardboard in the recycling.

You can recycle pizza boxes with pizza residue. https://www.afandpa.org/news/2023/le...are-recyclable

Regarding recycling locations, it sounds like you have some constraints. I guess you have to decide which issue is the greatest priority for you... putting up with discomfort or keeping stuff out of the landfill.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:51 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Many stores of much size you visit have recycling bins for printer ink, small electronics, plastic bags, larger batteries, etc. Curious if the stores themselves who have agreements with the recycling companies whom they have contracted to pick up from these bins regularly, whether it is a money maker for the stores or a cost for them.
Do you actually know if the bins belong to the stores? Often people assume that everything in or on a stores property belongs to the store, but in fact many companies simply rent space from the retail company. Profit for the retailer is in terms of the rent money, not from whatever business those companies engage in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living