Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:11 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,979 times

Advertisements

Because you live so far away, you're limited as to what you can personally do. The nintendo WII is an excellent way to get her up and moving provided the games that require her to get up are the only ones provided. Kinda far fetched but another thing you could do due to the distance issues would be enroll your grandaughter in a fruitbasket of the month club. You said she loves fruit and this way it could be sent right to her door and it is her special "present" from Gramma. A little odd yes, but it might work. As far as the word "fat", I would be concerned that someone, someday is going to tell her that you use the word "fat" to describe her. You may not say it directly to her, but it could come out someday and since you seem to be the only person concerned for her health, you need to keep her trusting you. I feel that you as "Gramma" have every right to be concerned and voice your concerns to her parents. I live in the states where we have a huge amount of snow. My husband just bought our overweight son a pair of snowshoes and they were out all day yesterday snowshoeing. Great exercise! It would be nice if your grandaughters folks would go and do activities with her. They for sure need to enroll her in preschool. This helps because school is structured and on a schedule..ie: no snacking all morning ect... And I agree that kids should not be allowed the "choice" between sweets and fruits. Leave the fruits out for everyday and limit the sweets to special occasions. Another thought just hit me...Would your son and the family be up for a fitness club family membership? Some clubs have programs like swimming, boxing, karate and tennis. I'm trying to think of things you can do with limited personal time with her and many miles between the two of you. My son has asked me to put his two cents in....He says the WII definately and with the WII outdoor challenge. Whenever he plays that game, he works up a sweat and gets tuckered but has so much fun, he doesn't want to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 PM

324 posts, read 862,465 times
Say nothing, but try to instill healthy lifestyle by serving healthy meals and encouraging exercise by playing outside.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,701 times
As I stated, I see her for a couple of weeks at xmas and sometimes a couple of weeks in the summer. I am company at other relatives houses and have no say as to what meals are served. She isn't obese because she has a huge appetite, it's because her parents feed her the same things they love - cheese, fatty foods, and sweets. They refuse to put her in preschool because the mother is clingy and wants her to remain a baby.

She loves to kick a ball and ride a bike but if no one takes her outside she can't do them. All are lazy and have no interest in joining a gym. I am paying for her to attend a local soccer club for preschoolers which begins later this month.

She is obese. Everyone can see she is obese and comments on it (not in front of her). No one is going to tell her that her grandmother calls her fat, FFS.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,854 times
I am baffled why overweight parents would push their overweight child to eat a lot!

You mentioned that you found out another grandchild is on the way. Maybe your daughter in law going to the doctor and getting weighed on a regular basis will help?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM

17,350 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
As I stated, I see her for a couple of weeks at xmas and sometimes a couple of weeks in the summer. I am company at other relatives houses and have no say as to what meals are served. She isn't obese because she has a huge appetite, it's because her parents feed her the same things they love - cheese, fatty foods, and sweets. They refuse to put her in preschool because the mother is clingy and wants her to remain a baby.

She loves to kick a ball and ride a bike but if no one takes her outside she can't do them. All are lazy and have no interest in joining a gym. I am paying for her to attend a local soccer club for preschoolers which begins later this month.

She is obese. Everyone can see she is obese and comments on it (not in front of her). No one is going to tell her that her grandmother calls her fat, FFS.
Getting her involved in the soccer club is a step in the right direction. In another year, she'll be starting Kindergarten so she'll also have some activity there.

Enjoy your visits with her. Take her outside to play whenever you can. If it's hard for you to bring a fruit tray to dinner, try bringing a piece of fruit (like an orange) for you and gd to share after dinner.

Once you're back home, write or email her and ask about her soccer club, share her enthusiasm for the sport (hopefully her parents will help her write you back). Send her a fruit basket every now and then to remind her of your special times together.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM

DIL has been fat all her life. That won't change.

When granddaughter is at my sisters house for xmas she eats all the fruit. She's even made a meal of just grapes before. She loves them.

She and I have chatted online through our webcams since she was born. So we'll talk about soccer and how it's going.

Yes another baby is on the way. My hub says it should take pressure off of granddaughter because they'll be another baby to focus on instead of trying to keep her a baby as long as possible. Granddaughter is the sweetest, most affectionate girl. That may save her.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 AM

You have a good point with the new baby on the way, maybe your DIL won't focus on grandaughters eating and hopefully stop pushing the un-healthy foods, leaving you more room to encourage healthy behaviors. I think gramma being involved with her soccer is going to help alot. Not too many grandparents would take such an interest and concern with grandchildren when faced with long-distance relationship. Keep it up and keep encouraging her. If anything, as she grows up, she will turn to you for advice as the positive encouragement comes from you.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM

I've googled articles on this and it says obese parents simply don't see anything wrong with their kids being obese, or just see them as normal size. This generally is with parents who don't have a lot of education. My DIL has little education and my son has just buried his head in the sand.

Can't remember exactly, but I've read that the number of preschool kids becoming diabetic (due to diet) is phenomenal.

My son needs to lose about 60ish pounds and he went for a physical last xmas when I visited. He came back with a look on his face that he'd likely been told lose or face heart attack, diabetes, etc. He wouldn't tell what the doctor said. I think he was good for a while but now he's back to the same old same old.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Type 2 diabetes is on the rise at an alarming rate. I believe those articles. Just look at people who don't have alot of education. It's a vicious cycle. Lower income family-higher incidence of teenage pregnancy-teenage pregnancy leads to higher drop out rate- higher drop out rate leads to public assistance which in turn leads right back to lower income families. You said that your DIL was overweight also. Does she deny that she is overweight? Or is she oblivious to her weight and your grandaughter being overweight? Or does she "choose" to ignore it, hoping it will go away? If she "chooses" to ignore it, then she is in fact enabling your grandaughters weight problem. If she is oblivious, then she needs education, and from the sounds of it, ALOT of education. I still think that because you are the Grandmother and are loving and concerned for your grandaughter, then you have every right to say something without the fear of resentment from your son or DIL. It's time they grow up and do what is right for that little girl.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,431 times
Quote:
My 4 year old granddaughter is obese and at the rate she is gaining will be grossly obese soon. Her parents are obese - my son began getting fat in his late 20's.
If you couldn't prevent your own son from becoming obese, why do you think your help is needed here? Perhaps you should "fix" your adult son before you zero in on your granddaughter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents